Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why am I hitting a wall at 3.0 GHZ (E6400 OC)

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 10, 2006 12:35:07 PM

E6400=1.375V
MCH 1.25
ICH 1.5
4-4-4-12 2.1v (what the mem is rated for)

375Mhzx8 = 3.0GHZ

I cant seem to get above a 375 without getting an error in a prime torture test. I've increased my core voltage to 1.5, increased all the other ones by .1 - i've even tried taking my memory to 5-5-5-15 and adding some volts to it. Does anyone know what or have any idea why I'm hitting a brick wall here at 3.0ghz? I'm only at around 40c.

More about : hitting wall ghz e6400

November 10, 2006 12:39:33 PM

What speed is your RAM? What HSF are you using? Finally, what board and BIOS are you using?
November 10, 2006 12:50:31 PM

Quote:
What speed is your RAM? What HSF are you using? Finally, what board and BIOS are you using?


DDR2800mhz patriot extreme ram and one of those big typhoon coolers.
Oh and ABIT AB9 Pro with latest bios 1.5 "award"bios.

Meh I'm kinda new at this but at the moment I dont know why I cant manage to push past 375. I've tried a million combinations. Is there something obvious I should try and I'm missing here?
Related resources
November 10, 2006 1:09:21 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if you have read the guide to OCing Core 's yet....
November 10, 2006 1:45:08 PM

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if you have read the guide to OCing Core 's yet....


Where can I read this guide?
November 10, 2006 1:46:10 PM

its like right above your post in the overclocking section...
November 10, 2006 2:21:19 PM

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if you have read the guide to OCing Core 's yet....


Where can I read this guide?

In the overclocking section, it's a sticky.
November 10, 2006 9:38:15 PM

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if you have read the guide to OCing Core 's yet....


WOW greatest comment ever. Yes i've read the guide and i've followed it very exactly. No matter what settings I change I still get a prime95 error above 370MHZ.

I read increasing voltage fixes that, but I took my cpu to 1.45 and nothing.

I'm still below my rams rated speed as well, (400mhz) so why is it doing this?

Also, why do I have no option to change the FSB voltage? Do some bios just not have that option?
November 10, 2006 10:34:12 PM

Just tried taking the vcore to 1.5 still giving me an error.
November 10, 2006 11:14:03 PM

Ive been getting that problem to
I got the e6600
with 2Gb PC2-6400 DDR2-800 4-4-4-15 ATI Certfified Dual Channel kit
and a Gigabyte GA 965P-DS4 motherboard

Ive tried many ways havnt seemed to work
November 10, 2006 11:42:14 PM

My friend suggested it could be a memory issue, and that I may have to overclock the memory a little. I just didnt think I would have to unless I was taking my proc past my memory (400mhz)
November 11, 2006 12:31:36 AM

I have the following setup:

Abit AB9 Pro (BIOS v1.4)
E6400 @ 3.2GHz (FSB 400MHz x8) => 1.40v
Patriot Low Latency PC2 6400 DDR2 @ 4-4-4-12 & 533MHz (1:1) => 2.2v
MCH => 1.35v
ICH => stock setting

I have heard some say BIOS v1.5 is not as OC friendly as v1.4, but it is still early in the release for it. My machine is mainly for video processing and it runs stable at 50C-59C for hours at a time when encoding. HTH...
November 11, 2006 9:37:49 AM

Quote:
I have the following setup:

Abit AB9 Pro (BIOS v1.4)
E6400 @ 3.2GHz (FSB 400MHz x8) => 1.40v
Patriot Low Latency PC2 6400 DDR2 @ 4-4-4-12 & 533MHz (1:1) => 2.2v
MCH => 1.35v
ICH => stock setting

I have heard some say BIOS v1.5 is not as OC friendly as v1.4, but it is still early in the release for it. My machine is mainly for video processing and it runs stable at 50C-59C for hours at a time when encoding. HTH...


Meh, tried that. Dropped bios to v1.4 and I cant set my ram voltages higher than 2.0. Still nothing. Going to try going back to 1.5 and fiddling with some ram timings.

I did a memtest without any overclocks for about 10 hours - my memory is def good.
November 11, 2006 10:25:39 AM

Quote:
Your complaining about a 900mhz overclock?
Talk about spoiled brat, I bet you complain about your christmas presents too.....


Well, uh, considering how many people are crushing high overclocks easily with this core2duo setup I thought it would be expected.

Anyhow, right now im stable at 2.8ghz - 350 MHZx8 with all lowest voltages lol. how on earth cant I extract another 25mhz out of this sucker? Maby my processor just isnt going to move past 350mhz 100% stable?
November 11, 2006 10:31:48 AM

350x8 - 2,8 GHZ @
1.325 Vcore
1.25 MCH
1.50 ICH
43C Full Load

I'm happy, just wishing I could break or hit 3.0ghz since I'm so close.

Sigh, its starting to seem like maby its a memory issue? Meh, sleep time.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2006 11:35:02 AM

BIOS settings above 2.0 DO WORK with BIOS 1.4, they just don't show up as working. If you set to 2.2V in BIOS 1.4 and reboot, you can check the voltage monitor and see it at 2.18V thereabouts, but the menu says it's set to 2.0V. It's a pain in the ass, but it means that every time you enter the overclocking menu you have to rest it to 2.2V.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2006 11:42:23 AM

Oh, here's the settings I used: Memory 2.2V at 533, PSB 1066, Timings 4-4-4-8, Command Rate 2T

VCore 1.525V, NB 1.45V, ICH I/O 1.60V. You'll probably have to jump past 400MHz to get the board to force the lower ratio.
November 11, 2006 6:25:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, here's the settings I used: Memory 2.2V at 533, PSB 1066, Timings 4-4-4-8, Command Rate 2T

VCore 1.525V, NB 1.45V, ICH I/O 1.60V. You'll probably have to jump past 400MHz to get the board to force the lower ratio.


Well, flashed back to 1.4 - changed voltages, nothing would even make it into windows with 1.4 lol. So i went back to 1.5 and tried your setup, wouldnt even post. Command 2t seems to make problems. Also when I go past 400mhz (800mhz ram) it seems i need to take my timings to 5-5-5-15. Still reguardless I blow an error in prime95 within 2 seconds. Now I just got an error with my 350mhz overclock running prime95 for 8 hours. Sigh.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2006 10:45:35 PM

I meant 400MHz FSB using the 1:1 setting for RAM (533), which also turns 533 into 800, probably requiring 5-5-5-15.
November 12, 2006 1:28:30 AM

Yeah, I tried that and still nothen.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2006 3:41:15 AM

Well then, I have bad news: The memory controller (rather than the memory) doesn't like speeds between 380MHz (give or take 5MHz) and 400MHz. If your CPU or RAM isn't capable of the leap, you might be out of luck.
November 12, 2006 4:17:20 AM

Quote:
E6400=1.375V
MCH 1.25
ICH 1.5
4-4-4-12 2.1v (what the mem is rated for)

375Mhzx8 = 3.0GHZ

I cant seem to get above a 375 without getting an error in a prime torture test. I've increased my core voltage to 1.5, increased all the other ones by .1 - i've even tried taking my memory to 5-5-5-15 and adding some volts to it. Does anyone know what or have any idea why I'm hitting a brick wall here at 3.0ghz? I'm only at around 40c.


Because you've found the OC limit of your cpu. Thats why it was binned as a 6400 not a 6800 extreme.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2006 4:50:54 AM

It's binned as a 6400 because it's the best Core 2 with 1MB cache. It's the top binning for this core, higher cores have more cache.
November 12, 2006 8:34:23 AM

Quote:
Well then, I have bad news: The memory controller (rather than the memory) doesn't like speeds between 380MHz (give or take 5MHz) and 400MHz. If your CPU or RAM isn't capable of the leap, you might be out of luck.



Yeah I'm feelen that. Well I'ma keep tryen :) 
November 12, 2006 6:44:29 PM

I may be asking a rather dumb question but perhaps its your northbridge. I mean maybe its got too hot or maybe you need to increase the voltages. Just trying to help! :D 
November 12, 2006 7:34:51 PM

It could be a bios problem my ab9-pro+e6600 won't go past 393 fsb (3.5ghz)
You can set it higher but it will "stick" somewhere around the above value. This seems to be quite a common issue with the board. though the exact figure varies from system to system.

If its a stability issue try upping the MCH a notch or two and set your RAM to 2.2v. If you are still hitting a wall set the pcieclk rate to 101/2 and up the core voltage to 1.4

Other things to try: Set your RAM to 533(1:1)/5-5-5-15 and see if that makes a difference. If it does then drop the latency values until it becomes unstable again then set them back up one increment.


Sticky FSB :

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2006 8:31:03 PM

go back around 5 posts and see that the issue has been brought up: I've found that jumping above 400 fixes it.
November 12, 2006 9:12:07 PM

See pic :wink:

I think we are talking about slightly different issues.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2006 9:25:40 PM

Damn d00d, I just pitched out my AB9 overclocking screenies! If you're using the software overclocker, well, I don't use those. If you're overclocking in BIOS, I've pushed the AB9 well past 400MHz and HAD the CPU-Z shots to prove it.

I might be able to retrieve backups of the images.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 12, 2006 9:28:41 PM

Here's one of an AB9 at 417

November 12, 2006 9:30:56 PM

It doesn't effect everyone I've seen Ab9's running well above 400fsb. But many people seem to stick around 390-410.

The settings were changed in BIOS, I just used Ugru to show the 'bug'.
November 12, 2006 9:42:47 PM

unless he got the worst e6400 ever, then you're wrong. almost every e6300, e6400, and e6600 that i've read about in reviews or forums gets to 400mhz. Alot go higher. So with his setup, he should be getting there or pretty close.
November 12, 2006 10:03:54 PM

Quote:
unless he got the worst e6400 ever, then you're wrong. almost every e6300, e6400, and e6600 that i've read about in reviews or forums gets to 400mhz. Alot go higher. So with his setup, he should be getting there or pretty close.


lol thanks. i heard maby my northbridge is overheating, so ima see if i can get a fan on it and see what happens.

oh yeah, i can get into windows now at like 400-445 mhz, but i cant even get close to stable with prime 95.. sigh
November 12, 2006 10:10:37 PM

what are you considering "stable" in prime95? I've tested my system at over 400mhz, and while it was only prime stable for like 45 minutes, which obviously isn't good, i never had problems with anything. not gaming, not anything. I turned it back to 375 just because i don't need it to be any faster anyway.
!