Looking for motherboard to use with socket A CPU..

newgeek

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
My machine specs are in my profile below.

The GIGABYTE motherboard is toasted. I don't see alot of socket A around anymore but I would like to use my old CPU for the new motherboard..It's an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ which is fast enough for everyday use. What do you recommand ?

P.S. My motherboard has about 10 bad caps. I have looked in the back of the motherboard and it going to be pain the butt for me to desolder them all.

Anyway, thanks for any help...

NG

Nameless7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
It probalby wouldn't be worth it for you to buy a new Socket A mobo at this point. However ebay has plenty of them and unless you are looking for the very best there is for socket A, then the prices are very reasonable.

newgeek

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Ok, I will check the ebay very soon. I still have one question... I saw alot of ppl are talking about the socket 939...what is the cons and pros?

thanks for reply..

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Ok, I will check the ebay very soon. I still have one question... I saw alot of ppl are talking about the socket 939...what is the cons and pros?

thanks for reply..

Pros
Lived a good life
Served AMD well

Cons
AM2 is out now

;)

stephen1960

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
My machine specs are in my profile below.

The GIGABYTE motherboard is toasted. I don't see alot of socket A around anymore but I would like to use my old CPU for the new motherboard..It's an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ which is fast enough for everyday use. What do you recommand ?

P.S. My motherboard has about 10 bad caps. I have looked in the back of the motherboard and it going to be pain the butt for me to desolder them all.

Anyway, thanks for any help...

NG

You might consider the Gigabyte GA-K8N51PVMT-9. That and an Athlon 64 socket 939 cpu along with your DDR memory will cost you as little as 200 us dollars and you will have a complete system since it has onboard graphics.

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I saw alot of ppl are talking about the socket 939...what is the cons and pros?
Cons
AM2 is out now ;)
To elaborate a little, AMD has announced the "end of life" for socket 939. This means no new processors or motherboards using socket 939 are going to be developed. It also means that sometime in the next few months, AMD is going to completely stop making and selling socket 939 processors.

Socket 939 has been replaced by socket AM2. This was done as part of AMD's move to DDR2 memory. Motherboards and processors using socket AM2 use only DDR2 SDRAM. Those using socket 939 use only DDR memory.

If you don't mind the fact that sock 939 is now a dead-end ... similar to socket A ... then it's a perfectly fine way to build an AMD based system. But if you see sock 939 based parts on sale for a great price, remember it's probably because someone is trying to close out their inventory.

-john