High CPU temps...too high(misread?)

CitizenK4ne

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Hey, i just got done building (my 1st) PC and im getting next to impossible cpu temps. MBM 5, Smart Probe, and Intel TAT are giving me readings of 100c. I've taken taken it apart and reseated everything a few times now and i get the same results everytime.

now, ive done what probably isnt the smartest thing and left it running, the hsf is still cool to the touch (room temperature or below) and my fans are running
at a relatively low rpm. the only part running hot to touch s my graphics card =\

running:
Asus P5B deluxe mobo
Intel Core2 Duo e6600
2gigs corsair XMS
ati x1900 xt
Enermax Liberty 500w power supply
all wrapped up in a cooler master mystique mid tower

G

I would download throttle watch
Linky

If your CPU is indeed that hot, you will get some throttling on the CPU.

A cpu running at anything over 50c will feel warm to the touch, in my experience, 70-80c and you wont be able to keep your hand on the HSF more then 1-2 seconds..

It must be a misread from the program, I dont really know what could cause that.
What about temperature reading from the BIOS?

I know that you say you have re-seated everything, but the Stock HSF is tricky to fit, from what I understand the legs have a habbit of popping out as you work your way around the four legs and without all four legs there wont be sufficient pressure to make good contact.

Have re-seated it earlier did you replace the thermal material? You really should have done, but this will only cost you maybe 5C not the silly temps you are seeing.

A working HSF should be just warm to warm to the touch.

G

that is weird.

Did you install the ntel® Chipset Software Installation Utility.
Any exclamation mark in the device manager, especially under power management.
Something weird is going on. IF the Bios is saying the temps is that high, and its cool to the touch, the temp sensor might have a problem. You sure these ain't Fahrenheit? :lol:

CitizenK4ne

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
the hsf isn't lose, if i try to move it it pulls on the mobo with no give. Everytime i've taken off the hsf i have reapplied the thermal compound

also, im getting a "Antinat" Could not open config file error message...

CitizenK4ne

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
haha, i made sure - i have pc probe giving me the readout in F, and its saying 212 so hopefully my conersion isnt off :p - 100c=212f if my memory serves correctly

intel id untility says each core is operating at .93Ghz, 621mhz system bus, and 4mb cache

haha, i made sure - i have pc probe giving me the readout in F, and its saying 212 so hopefully my conersion isnt off :p - 100c=212f if my memory serves correctly

intel id untility says each core is operating at .93Ghz, 621mhz system bus, and 4mb cache

That sounds very throttled.

From what I have heard (I was lucky and had no problems) the HSF assembly still feels firmly fitted but one of the legs might be 'loose' this would release pressure and therefore contact on the CPU IHS.

That is all that I can think of unfortunatley, what voltage readings are you getting (speedfan might tell you) Is the fan actually turning (dumb question I know)

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

You are running so hot you are throttling. You have exceeded the junction temperature, which will cause permanent damage to your CPU. Certainly your heatsink isn't on right.

CitizenK4ne

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006

You are running so hot you are throttling. You have exceeded the junction temperature, which will cause permanent damage to your CPU. Certainly your heatsink isn't on right.

i just took it apart and it was on tight enough to press the compund across the heatspreader.

would there be anything visible in terms of cpu damage?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
just took it apart and it was on tight enough to press the compund across the heatspreader.

would there be anything visible in terms of cpu damage?

maybe, maybe not. The "Junction" is the connection between the cpu die and the little PCB it sits on. This is rated at 85C. Much higher than that and you'll melt the die clean off the PCB.

According to TAT, you are throttling, a sure sign that you're smoking your processor.

Did you raise vcore, or something? I suggest clearing the CMOS and using all the default settings. And there is something really really wrong with the interface between the IHS on your processor and your heatsink. Pressing the compound around isn't really a good indication. Do you have so much on that its acting as an insulator? Have you trapped an air bubble between your processor and heatsink? I think you really need to clean off your thermal paste and start over.

G

Here's an idea, a bit time comsuming but hey,you're now at this point hehe.

Take off the motherboard from the Case. Remove the HSF, clean both cpu and HSF. Use some flat and stiff like a piece of glass. Put it on your CPU and HSF to see if any of them are concave/convex. If it reall shows, a little lapping might be needed.

If they seem flat re-apply thermal paster, a really thin layer, not to much, credit card does a fine job!. Then re seat the HSF with the motherboard outside of the case. once all for clips are inserted, make sure that, when flipping the board, you can see the little black part actually went thru and is secure for all for 4pins.

If you do that, you should be certain there's a proper contact between HSF and the CPU.

Good luck

CitizenK4ne

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
hey ya'll thanks for the kickass replies, i'd be lost without'em.

Turns out (thanks labbby) that the heatsink did seem a little convex, and i had ordered a Zalman CNPS9500 so i got to put it in today and im running at 35c BIOS/low load. Intel id also has both cores coming in at 2.4gig with 1.06g bus - big improvement from .93g and 212 temps.

We'll see about longevity of this processor but for the record (wish i had taken screenie) it did hit 220.

thanks again,

k4ne

Given that this was their HSF that came with their CPU I'd be tempted to RMA them both back, talk to intel first perhaps before your suppiler.

A, they need to know about it
B, there is a possible damage to your processor, because of their failure to make it flat. (I'm an engineer and I know how difficult it is to make things flat, and I'm not one of the 'lets have a class action suit, because I want some easy money' brigade, but in this case what they sold you was not 'fit for purpose' as we say over on this side of the pond, so you shoudl get a replacement at the very least.)