Gakalist

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Does anyone think a dual 8800gtx card (8850gtx?) will be forthcomming anytime soon? 1536MB memory and dual on one card, with 2 cards avaliable for SLi.....hhhmmmm........4 CPU cores, 4 Video cores, 4GB system RAM and 3+GB video ram...that would make a nice fast system I think.......
OOOHHHH....what the future hold...... 8O

Anyone interested in something like this ?

Sagekilla

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I'd simply love the thought of having a 800 watt graphic subsystem acting as my personal heater. :p

Not, but in all seriousness that would be completely unreasonable. SLI is perfectly fine with the G80, as having to power your graphics cards with 8 power connectors is simply retarded. Sure it might provide some insane theoretical performance, but how many people are willing to pay for that or deal with that much heat being generated?

Gakalist

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Peltiers are always an option......but the wattage would be something....
I'm sure there are people out there designing games and apps that will soon slow down an 8800 in the very near future. Alan Wake is going to be pretty taxing on a graphics system in the near future. Well, sometimes it's nice to dream of the future and whats next in computers.....

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
they just announced these cards. why in the world would they have a new card better then these come out "soon"? Especially when ati has nothing coming out for another 3-4 months? Not to mention the fact that there is no need for it. Also, like sagekilla said, the power requirements would be ridiculous. Pretty soon they are going to have to go the route of intel from p4 to core2duo. There will probably be a refresh of the 8800 series in 6 months, then 6 months after that, there will hopefully be a new architecture that consumes much less power.

crusher

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Does anyone think a dual 8800gtx card (8850gtx?) will be forthcomming anytime soon? 1536MB memory and dual on one card, with 2 cards avaliable for SLi.....hhhmmmm........4 CPU cores, 4 Video cores, 4GB system RAM and 3+GB video ram...that would make a nice fast system I think.......

lol imagine that your PC will be consuming at least 1Kw of power, now imagine that on the summer season on Texas that everyone use the air conditioner plus a 1Kw of powerconsumption PC, omg lol that will be funnie. At least the one that win here is the power plant enterprise.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

if anything it would would be based on the GTS and not the GTX(which would then only require 4 power connectors rather than 8 like someone else said) just like the previous 7950GX2 was, so it would be the 8800GX2, but don't expect to see this card till late in the product life of the 8x00 series, most likely will be with the 8900s they might find the need to spice up the product line just like the did with the 7950GX2, it will come up when the graphical power of the 8900s are matched by the demands of high resolution gaming, (i.e. something 2x demanding as crysis)

First of all that's gonna be one heck of a PCB to get that amount of stuff on one card, not going to happen IMO, 2 card 1 slot, now that's doable.

Peltiers are always an option......but the wattage would be something....

How is the peltier going to help? Still exchanging heat with the environment it's in so still a space heater, you need an outdoor cooler to remove the heat.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

I guess it will happen but I'd be surprised if its anytime soon. The 7950 only came out this time last year, meaning, near the end of the nv47(i think) chip product lifecycle. G80 has a while to go before its gonna get replaced.

Also they'd probably have to come up with a low power version of the G80 for that to happen (65nm version?)

I could see that it might be what nvidia have as backup if the new ATI card is exceptional though.

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
IMO for NVIDIA to blow ATi out of the water they need to release a card that is smaller, uses a 65nm/80nm process, and uses GDDR4 memory

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

My question is What good would it do you to use that much power?
You can't get any better fram rates that your eyes can see! And at that point you have blown HD out of the water! Taklk about over kill....

Also if they could put two cores on one card now, why no keep going in that direction....

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Does GDDR4 even really help? The NV core architecture is core limited (if the generic NV design holds true from the 6 series and 7 series), so speeding up the RAM wouldn't get you a whole lot, if anything. hever you ever tried overclocking the RAM on a 7 series... it doesn't net you much at all, acctually when I OC'd mine I got 1 FPS.... OOO saucey. However, when I OC'd the core it scaled well, first 3FPS more then 5 and it maxed out around a 7 FPS gain on average before coolbits cut me off (stupid conservative program). I realize the architecture in the 8 series is very different from the 7 series, but the NV core is holding back the memory.

I saw a post in an extreme OC forum that nitro cooled 7900GTX's in SLI and found that that the memory became the bottleneck when the core reached 900MHz or so (of course this is when both the Mem and Core were OC'd). If I can find the link I will, but don't hold your breath.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
IMO for NVIDIA to blow ATi out of the water they need to release a card that is smaller, uses a 65nm/80nm process, and uses GDDR4 memory

All the benchmarks I have seen for the 8800GTX show a minimum 30% margin over the top of the 1900XTX, what more do you need? That's a huge margin considering people squabble over a 5% difference in CPUs.

Of course ATi will come back with something that is over the top of it in a few months, but for right now, nVidia is kicking ass.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

All the benchmarks I have seen for the 8800GTX show a minimum 30% margin over the top of the 1900XTX, what more do you need? That's a huge margin considering people squabble over a 5% difference in CPUs.

Of course ATi will come back with something that is over the top of it in a few months, but for right now, nVidia is kicking ass.

I'm pretty confident my sli'd 8800gtx's will last a while.
Actually there's no need for more than two 8800 cores anyway unless intel come up with massively faster whole PC architectures, even with my heavily overclocked X6800 extreme and all eyecandy as high as it will go, the bottleneck is still most definately the CPU/PC architecture itself and not the GPUs any more. Anyway if I'm proved wrong, I can always put a 3rd one in the middle slot later as GTX's have two sli connectors :)

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
with the amount of money it would cost to get the cards and the power supply to run everything, the cash it would take to build a custom phase change system to cool everything down to like 30° C would probably be peanuts to the buyer.

now if he's willing to build it himslef or not, is a completly different story, since you need alot of knowage & equipment to to build one. although there are people who will do it for you.

i wonder if standard copper cooling things would work in the 8800's? if not then it gets even more tricky since you would have machine copper blocks into the right shape yourself...

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006

I'm pretty confident my sli'd 8800gtx's will last a while.
Actually there's no need for more than two 8800 cores anyway unless intel come up with massively faster whole PC architectures, even with my heavily overclocked X6800 extreme and all eyecandy as high as it will go, the bottleneck is still most definately the CPU/PC architecture itself and not the GPUs any more. Anyway if I'm proved wrong, I can always put a 3rd one in the middle slot later as GTX's have two sli connectors :)
Lucky

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
if you had rock solid insulation it woul be great but all it takes is one crack in your insulation and youll get wet circuitry from condensation. not a fun idea.

That's why they make conformal coating :wink:

But you are definately right, Phase change is hardcore, and hardcore risky.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
That's why they make conformal coating :wink:

But you are definately right, Phase change is hardcore, and hardcore risky.

what, like if one of the tubes carrying liquid gas in the negitive numbers decides to brake on you, and you get covered in the stuff? (ie instant frost bite) some people use propane as the gas too, so if it springs a leak your phase change system might turn into a flamethrower. 8O

and if your useing some of the more dangerus gases like R-134a, and you breath in too much it'll displace all the air in your lungs ad you'll die...

so, it's relitively safe as long as you keep everything together.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Not until a major die shrink.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Risk reward boys. With great risk come great reward..... and possibly death but we don't talk about that lol. 8O

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: spoken like a true douglas macarthur fan :wink:

Your point? :wink:

Life is a risk.... some choose to maximize risk, some choose to minimize it, and some just don't give a tiny rats a$$ lol.

Gakalist

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
WOW....you guys really know how to tangent think.....i was just wondering if anyone would like to see a quad SLi 8800gtx rig and you're all off talking about power consumption and how to best heat your computer rooms....I can see nVidia expanding to a dual card, single slot setup, buy 2 of them and get quad SLI. I don't really concern myself with how much power it's going to take to fire a system like that up. I figure, if I can afford to but the system in the first place, then I'm sure I can afford to pay the electric bill. I'd even bet that not too many of you out there are too concerned with how much juice your rigs are using. If it takes 2 1KW power supplies to run a rig like that, I'm in.....where do I get a set ....
I think that if nVidia could have a 60% lead over ATI, they should do it, the faster we advance computer technology the better for us end users.
I don't care who leads the pack for GPU dominance, i just like to see progress.......

Gakalist

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Thanks buddy....I just hate to see people crying about power consumption and crap like that. If you're concerned about that stuff, go buy a solar calculator and see if you can post on the Toms Hardware Forumz from it.....

Anyway, thats for another discussion....

I'm all in for a 2-3KW system that will beat the crap out of anything out there......

Gakalist

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
WAAAAAYYYYYY over the top, but I like the thinking.
I'm going to be kind of close soon.
2 8800GTX cards running 3 30" displays.
Good enough for me.