Nvidia is playing cheap

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
http://www.overclockercafe.com/

The big news continues to be that of the GeForce 8800. Surprisingly, we have a distasteful bit of info to pass along. We heard from two separate manufacturers yesterday information that made us step back and say What?!? Here's a quote from one of the e-mails that was all but identical to the other. One line says it all.

"Furthermore NVIDIA has specifically allocated this card to certain reviewers in order to control what information is sent to the press."

As far as the GeForce 8800 reviews Jeremy noted yesterday, I didn't see a single one that came from a review site whose integrity I question; but being informed that NVidia is directly controlling review authorization for third party companies based on their desire to directly control what is and is not said seems like some strong arm stuff we've seen from them before. I guess it all goes to show you, the larger a company is, the more tempting it is for them to behave outside the moral scope of the rest of the business community.

With all this said, I can bet you won't see any more NVidia reviews here after NVidia's marketing department reads our calling a spade a spade. However, this is a nice thing about the OCC. This site is something Brian, Jeremy and I enjoy. And with our not being a profit driven site, we can speak our hearts. Call things for what they really are and not give a damn about consequences.

Questionable ethics of NVIDIA's marketing and PR departments aside, it looks like the 8800 has a lot to offer.

All the more reason to go with ATI.

P.S. No flaming allowed, I'm just passing along some information.

mark8987

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Given that the review sites that did receive cards were reputable, perhaps nvidia just wanted to make sure that non-biased and competent reviews of the card were published??

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
if the reviews were biased then now that the card is out unbiosed reviews will be done... and any deceitful info will be show...
I see that as short term gain but long term loss... i can't see nVidia gaining much market share doing deceitful stuff that way...
well more reviews will be done in the next few days... and we will see...

I hope nVidia's reviews that were funded/coaxed/prepared by Nvidia...
were honest.

Coaxing and honest, don't really mix, no reason to coax if it's honest.

The problem is some usually 'reputable' do unreputable things, the HQV nVidia provided slide in the review here at THG makes me say: WTF!

I agree that evetually it all comes out in the wash, but you have to question why the need to do something with a part that obviously has potential and does well? If true, it's not that the news/reviews may be false, it's that the news/reviews were finessed for whatever reason that's a little distasteful.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Ah, so maybe the Sharikous of ATI can't post their "tests" in an effort to hurt NVidia?
Perhaps it is ATI that is trying to make nVidia look bad.
...The problem is some usually 'reputable' do unreputable things, the HQV nVidia provided slide in the review here at THG makes me say: WTF!
Who is to say that OCcafe isn't getting influenced by the "Dark side" or jealous that they didn't get selected to do the review.
Furthermore NVIDIA has specifically allocated this card to certain reviewers in order to control what information is sent to the press.
Another reason that just crossed my mind is the consideration of the price of the card... you give out 10 cards.. that is $5,000 just given away... some marketing people just might want to minimize that...

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

The big news continues to be that of the GeForce 8800. Surprisingly, we have a distasteful bit of info to pass along. We heard from two separate manufacturers yesterday information that made us step back and say What?!? Here's a quote from one of the e-mails that was all but identical to the other. One line says it all.

"Furthermore NVIDIA has specifically allocated this card to certain reviewers in order to control what information is sent to the press."

As far as the GeForce 8800 reviews Jeremy noted yesterday, I didn't see a single one that came from a review site whose integrity I question; but being informed that NVidia is directly controlling review authorization for third party companies based on their desire to directly control what is and is not said seems like some strong arm stuff we've seen from them before. I guess it all goes to show you, the larger a company is, the more tempting it is for them to behave outside the moral scope of the rest of the business community.

With all this said, I can bet you won't see any more NVidia reviews here after NVidia's marketing department reads our calling a spade a spade. However, this is a nice thing about the OCC. This site is something Brian, Jeremy and I enjoy. And with our not being a profit driven site, we can speak our hearts. Call things for what they really are and not give a damn about consequences.

Questionable ethics of NVIDIA's marketing and PR departments aside, it looks like the 8800 has a lot to offer.

P.S. No flaming allowed, I'm just passing along some information.By saying "All the more reason to go with ATI." you yourself are "flaming" Nvida as you're suggesting someone to not choose their product. If you have any evidence to prove the X1950XTX is actually faster than the Geforce 8800GTX, then be my guest and post it; until then, I don't care who Nvidia sends their hardware to for review as long as it's the fastest I can get for the money.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
and further more you can say all you want that you are just the messenger and don't flame, but when you bring such biased one sided news, I question your motive.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
By saying "All the more reason to go with ATI." you yourself are "flaming" Nvida as you're suggesting someone to not choose their product.
I have to agree with you...
I'm just bringing you guys the news...dont shoot the messenger :)
ok time to shoot the messenger...
[edit] damn... Blessman beat me to it[\edit]

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
What a bunch of cry babies. I didn't get a card to test there must be something unethical going on. Maybe they aren't big enough for Nvidia to care, I certainly don't.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
By saying "All the more reason to go with ATI." you yourself are "flaming" Nvida as you're suggesting someone to not choose their product.

Nope, it's not flaming because I don't buy products from companies that have to cheat in order to attempt to get a win. :)

I'm sorry, perhaps I should have been more specific about my statement.

I'm not a fanboy the slightest bit, I'm just not going to support a company that basically has to select a fanboy site to say nothing negative about there graphics cards in the review.

If they have to be specific in which sites they select for reviews in order to get a good review that basically tells me there is something they are hiding.

If ATI does the same thing...I dunno what I'll do. LOL

BMFM

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
But it is flaming.

The fact they chose certain sites for reviewing their new chips doesn't necessarily mean they are cheating.

It could as well mean they sent cards to sites they believe to be impartial. And in that sense, the article you referred to in your post specific states that not a single review comes from a site whose integrity they question.

BTW, which fanboy reviewing site you are referring to?

From my part I just think you were a little quick in your judgment that something might be stinking at Nvidia.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
(...)

Errrr... you mean AMD/ATI whose systems go along well with NVidia? :)

I'll stick to NVidia while they produce great cards and have superior technology.

Enrubi

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I thought both Nvidia and ATI "cheated" as much as possible to get market shares? All is fair in business and love or something like that. ;)

Imho it seems that ppl who have good experience/like/love/fanboy either ATI or Nvidia always come up with ways to make the other camp "look bad".

Personally, ATI isnt even on my list when I'm looking for a graphics card . Too many bad drivers and incompatibilities with games for my taste. :( I rather have a gfx card that I can play games (other than FPS that is) with and not only benchmark. :p

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
The same is true for me.

But it is stupid to avoid one company in favor of the other just because company 'a' uses marketing strategies that every single other company uses, including company 'b.' If there are any completely honest and straightforward big businesses out there, more power to them but I think any company that can throw multi-billion dollar R&D team's on a project to "get a win" are probably having to buy a few closets to hide all their skeletons.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I can see where such info could be taken negatively. I would like to think it wasn't meant that way on Nvidias part although I like N and ATI both equally.

It could also be that they intended to distribute a certain number for reviews and only wanted to push those units to the most known/respected/visited sites by hardware fans/enthusiasts.

Its certainly ambiguous enough to be taken either way.

Besides, as enthusiasts, we know good and well Nvidia has captured the crown by a good margin for the time being. ATI will likely answer in a few months and stomp a mudhole in Nvidia at which time they'll fire back again and so on. I'm not that worried about either company taking cheap shots at each other because they've both done it in the past and although I'd love to think they're in it to please us, they are all in it for the money as well. Peace :)

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, it only makes sense to have a "controlled" stream of cards going out for review. I think you are painting an incredibly bleak picture of corporate strong-arming, when in reality, they just decided not to send the Inquirer a $650 card so they could write a moronic review about it and waste everybody's time.

E.G. if I was Intel, I sure as hell wouldn't send Sharikou the latest CPUs so he could write "reviews" about them. It will be interesting, though, to see if nV still sends cards to overclockercafe.com or not. I agree with not sending cards to sites that are known for trollism, but not sending cards to sites just because they criticize something about your company is a totally different thing.

mr_tan

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006

P.S. No flaming allowed, I'm just passing along some information.
Bottom line is that the 8800 series wipes the floor with all existing ATi cards, how Nvidia behaves in advertising or marketing their products is irrelevant to the end user. I dont think many people will be saying "well I know the 8800 rules, but I'll go for the inferior ATi because their manufacturer are such honest folk".