Sharon? Michael? Backups in XP

I'm running XP (Home Edition), I'm an intermediate
beginner; I'm pretty good at keeping my computer safe
from intruders (I've only "gotten" one fairly feeble worm
and one lame trojan in three years), and I don't use my
computer for anything terribly fancy (i.e., no MP3, no
file-sharing, no on-line gaming, no vidio-editing), just
surfing, e-mail, and about a dozen userboards/groups.

Right now, I have a few upgrades (including SP2) to
install on my computer, and I'd like to completely backup
*everything* first. I know (from asking around and
reading some answers here) that XP-Home edition doesn't
support much on its own -- i.e., it "backs up", but onto
the hard drive, and I want to do a TRUE back up onto an
external medium. I've researched the subject a bit, and
believe that I have four choices:

1. I have a CD burner and I could use the "back up"
function to backup to the hard drive and then copy the
backup file to a CD.

2. I could install the MSFT\NTBACKUP utility from the
Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM and use it.

3. Using Roxio Easy CD Creator, I can backup directly to
CD.

4. I could buy a back-up program or on-line back-up
service.

The way I see it, option three only saves documents, is
pretty slow, and probably most useful for interim back-
ups of folders in which documents or files have been
changed. And I feel that option four is really over-kill
for an un-networked, non-work related computer.

So, what would you advise? I want to keep this back-up
procedure as straightforward, but reliable, as possible.
Specifically, since I won't be doing this "entire system"
backup very often, I don't want to start using a
procedure so complicated or time-consuming that I "put it
off" until it's too late.

But I definitely need something which will save my
extensive bookmarks (favorites), and spare me having to
re-install everything with my preferences from scratch.

Thanks for your help in comparing possibilities.
13 answers Last reply
More about sharon michael backups

    "Regina" wrote:

    > I'm running XP (Home Edition), I'm an intermediate
    > beginner; I'm pretty good at keeping my computer safe
    > from intruders (I've only "gotten" one fairly feeble worm
    > and one lame trojan in three years), and I don't use my
    > computer for anything terribly fancy (i.e., no MP3, no
    > file-sharing, no on-line gaming, no vidio-editing), just
    > surfing, e-mail, and about a dozen userboards/groups.
    >
    > Right now, I have a few upgrades (including SP2) to
    > install on my computer, and I'd like to completely backup
    > *everything* first. I know (from asking around and
    > reading some answers here) that XP-Home edition doesn't
    > support much on its own -- i.e., it "backs up", but onto
    > the hard drive, and I want to do a TRUE back up onto an
    > external medium. I've researched the subject a bit, and
    > believe that I have four choices:
    >
    > 1. I have a CD burner and I could use the "back up"
    > function to backup to the hard drive and then copy the
    > backup file to a CD.
    >
    > 2. I could install the MSFT\NTBACKUP utility from the
    > Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM and use it.
    >
    > 3. Using Roxio Easy CD Creator, I can backup directly to
    > CD.
    >
    > 4. I could buy a back-up program or on-line back-up
    > service.
    >
    > The way I see it, option three only saves documents, is
    > pretty slow, and probably most useful for interim back-
    > ups of folders in which documents or files have been
    > changed. And I feel that option four is really over-kill
    > for an un-networked, non-work related computer.
    >
    > So, what would you advise? I want to keep this back-up
    > procedure as straightforward, but reliable, as possible.
    > Specifically, since I won't be doing this "entire system"
    > backup very often, I don't want to start using a
    > procedure so complicated or time-consuming that I "put it
    > off" until it's too late.
    >
    > But I definitely need something which will save my
    > extensive bookmarks (favorites), and spare me having to
    > re-install everything with my preferences from scratch.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in comparing possibilities.

    Option 2 has been my choice. I am surprised that such a prudent computer
    user as you describe yourself, you haven't been doing that all along. It is
    an absolute necessity in the event of a hard drive failure.

    Note that it doesn't back up system settings.

    If you find that your CD doesn't have the program on it (some manufacturers
    don't include it), you can download it from our computer Club's web site at:
    http://www.myscacc.org/Forms/ntbackup.msi

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:01:54 -0800, Regina wrote:

    > I'm running XP (Home Edition), I'm an intermediate
    > beginner; I'm pretty good at keeping my computer safe
    > from intruders (I've only "gotten" one fairly feeble worm
    > and one lame trojan in three years), and I don't use my
    > computer for anything terribly fancy (i.e., no MP3, no
    > file-sharing, no on-line gaming, no vidio-editing), just
    > surfing, e-mail, and about a dozen userboards/groups.
    >
    > Right now, I have a few upgrades (including SP2) to
    > install on my computer, and I'd like to completely backup
    > *everything* first. I know (from asking around and
    > reading some answers here) that XP-Home edition doesn't
    > support much on its own -- i.e., it "backs up", but onto
    > the hard drive, and I want to do a TRUE back up onto an
    > external medium. I've researched the subject a bit, and
    > believe that I have four choices:
    >
    > 1. I have a CD burner and I could use the "back up"
    > function to backup to the hard drive and then copy the
    > backup file to a CD.
    >
    > 2. I could install the MSFT\NTBACKUP utility from the
    > Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM and use it.
    >
    > 3. Using Roxio Easy CD Creator, I can backup directly to
    > CD.
    >
    > 4. I could buy a back-up program or on-line back-up
    > service.
    >
    > The way I see it, option three only saves documents, is
    > pretty slow, and probably most useful for interim back-
    > ups of folders in which documents or files have been
    > changed. And I feel that option four is really over-kill
    > for an un-networked, non-work related computer.
    >
    > So, what would you advise? I want to keep this back-up
    > procedure as straightforward, but reliable, as possible.
    > Specifically, since I won't be doing this "entire system"
    > backup very often, I don't want to start using a
    > procedure so complicated or time-consuming that I "put it
    > off" until it's too late.
    >
    > But I definitely need something which will save my
    > extensive bookmarks (favorites), and spare me having to
    > re-install everything with my preferences from scratch.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in comparing possibilities.

    Regina, you have a pretty good grasp on what the options are. From here,
    you need to try them out and then decide which is best for you. TIP: Try
    different backup options using test folders and files. If you "goof up,"
    your important data is still intact.

    Straight copy of files: A simplistic but effective approach if you don't
    have much to backup. Creates exact copies of the selected files and
    folders.

    Backup software: Allows you to create "jobs" and to designate which files
    and folders should be backed up. This software will create a backup file
    for each job. The backup program has to be used to restore files from the
    backup set. Some effort is required to set up the jobs but otherwise this
    is an easy and convenient route to go.

    You mention full system backup in your message several times. Neither of
    the above routines will make a "snapshot" of the entire system for
    "disaster recovery" purposes. Instead they are intended for data recovery.

    System recovery is more complex than data recovery. The software that is
    available for this task reflects that - it is more complex as well. Review
    different software packages in depth and then choose the program you're
    most comfortable with. Most programs offer a trial. Using these, you can
    check out the program's interface and check that the program is able to
    communicate with your burner device.

    NTBackup provides ASR. It works well in XP Pro. For XP Home, the readme
    file for NTBackup says ASR is not supported for XP Home. Yet Microsoft has
    a knowledge base article that describes how to run ASR on an XP Home
    system. Whether it works or not, the opposition in the two advisories makes
    me hesitate to recommend it for XP Home.

    Acronis True Image is a nice software package that can perform data backups
    or full system backups. It also has a nice interface for folks that are new
    to backup software.

    Image for Windows from Terabyte Unlimited: Also a nice interface. Not as
    intuitive as Acronis but not terribly difficult to use if you read the
    directions and view their tutorials. While not designed for data backups,
    you can use an "explorer" type interface to grab individual files and
    folders from a full system backup file.

    Roxio doesn't really come into the picture unless you're going to do
    straight copies of data (files and/or folders) or if you're going to use it
    to burn a file stored on the hard drive that was created by a backup
    program. The backup file will have to be of a size that can fit on the disk
    type that you are burning to as Roxio will not split the file if it's too
    big.

    NOTE: Most backup programs will do this splitting for you, creating
    multiple disk sets for each backup. The caveat is that you have to use the
    backup program to restore the data to the hard drive.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    You may want to consider http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/. It allows
    NTBackup to write directly to DVD+. ~30 min per ~6GB (with the
    compression on) to 4x DVD.

    Regina wrote:
    > I'm running XP (Home Edition), I'm an intermediate
    > beginner; I'm pretty good at keeping my computer safe
    > from intruders (I've only "gotten" one fairly feeble worm
    > and one lame trojan in three years), and I don't use my
    > computer for anything terribly fancy (i.e., no MP3, no
    > file-sharing, no on-line gaming, no vidio-editing), just
    > surfing, e-mail, and about a dozen userboards/groups.
    >
    > Right now, I have a few upgrades (including SP2) to
    > install on my computer, and I'd like to completely backup
    > *everything* first. I know (from asking around and
    > reading some answers here) that XP-Home edition doesn't
    > support much on its own -- i.e., it "backs up", but onto
    > the hard drive, and I want to do a TRUE back up onto an
    > external medium. I've researched the subject a bit, and
    > believe that I have four choices:
    >
    > 1. I have a CD burner and I could use the "back up"
    > function to backup to the hard drive and then copy the
    > backup file to a CD.
    >
    > 2. I could install the MSFT\NTBACKUP utility from the
    > Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM and use it.
    >
    > 3. Using Roxio Easy CD Creator, I can backup directly to
    > CD.
    >
    > 4. I could buy a back-up program or on-line back-up
    > service.
    >
    > The way I see it, option three only saves documents, is
    > pretty slow, and probably most useful for interim back-
    > ups of folders in which documents or files have been
    > changed. And I feel that option four is really over-kill
    > for an un-networked, non-work related computer.
    >
    > So, what would you advise? I want to keep this back-up
    > procedure as straightforward, but reliable, as possible.
    > Specifically, since I won't be doing this "entire system"
    > backup very often, I don't want to start using a
    > procedure so complicated or time-consuming that I "put it
    > off" until it's too late.
    >
    > But I definitely need something which will save my
    > extensive bookmarks (favorites), and spare me having to
    > re-install everything with my preferences from scratch.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in comparing possibilities.

    The BEST backup solution probably is an external hard drive [many
    furnish a backup program with the purchase - Maxtor for one.] The ideal
    would be a hard drive image [Norton Ghost 9 OR Acronis True Image]
    program which entirely restores the original disk. None is without cost.
    Gene
    Regina wrote:
    > I'm running XP (Home Edition), I'm an intermediate
    > beginner; I'm pretty good at keeping my computer safe
    > from intruders (I've only "gotten" one fairly feeble worm
    > and one lame trojan in three years), and I don't use my
    > computer for anything terribly fancy (i.e., no MP3, no
    > file-sharing, no on-line gaming, no vidio-editing), just
    > surfing, e-mail, and about a dozen userboards/groups.
    >
    > Right now, I have a few upgrades (including SP2) to
    > install on my computer, and I'd like to completely backup
    > *everything* first. I know (from asking around and
    > reading some answers here) that XP-Home edition doesn't
    > support much on its own -- i.e., it "backs up", but onto
    > the hard drive, and I want to do a TRUE back up onto an
    > external medium. I've researched the subject a bit, and
    > believe that I have four choices:
    >
    > 1. I have a CD burner and I could use the "back up"
    > function to backup to the hard drive and then copy the
    > backup file to a CD.
    >
    > 2. I could install the MSFT\NTBACKUP utility from the
    > Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM and use it.
    >
    > 3. Using Roxio Easy CD Creator, I can backup directly to
    > CD.
    >
    > 4. I could buy a back-up program or on-line back-up
    > service.
    >
    > The way I see it, option three only saves documents, is
    > pretty slow, and probably most useful for interim back-
    > ups of folders in which documents or files have been
    > changed. And I feel that option four is really over-kill
    > for an un-networked, non-work related computer.
    >
    > So, what would you advise? I want to keep this back-up
    > procedure as straightforward, but reliable, as possible.
    > Specifically, since I won't be doing this "entire system"
    > backup very often, I don't want to start using a
    > procedure so complicated or time-consuming that I "put it
    > off" until it's too late.
    >
    > But I definitely need something which will save my
    > extensive bookmarks (favorites), and spare me having to
    > re-install everything with my preferences from scratch.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in comparing possibilities.

    Regina, most everyone else has you covered and you seem to know your options
    pretty well. To clarify one point, while the backup applet that ships with
    XP, ntbackup, is limited in the way you describe, you can still back up to
    external media as you desire. It simply requires an extra step, once you've
    backed up to your hard drive, you can then copy the file to CD or DVD with
    the appropriate burner and actually, this might be faster than the process
    of backing up directly to that type of media.

    When you wish to restore all or a portion of the backup, simply copy the
    backup file back to your hard drive and use the ntbackup restore function.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Regina" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running XP (Home Edition), I'm an intermediate
    > beginner; I'm pretty good at keeping my computer safe
    > from intruders (I've only "gotten" one fairly feeble worm
    > and one lame trojan in three years), and I don't use my
    > computer for anything terribly fancy (i.e., no MP3, no
    > file-sharing, no on-line gaming, no vidio-editing), just
    > surfing, e-mail, and about a dozen userboards/groups.
    >
    > Right now, I have a few upgrades (including SP2) to
    > install on my computer, and I'd like to completely backup
    > *everything* first. I know (from asking around and
    > reading some answers here) that XP-Home edition doesn't
    > support much on its own -- i.e., it "backs up", but onto
    > the hard drive, and I want to do a TRUE back up onto an
    > external medium. I've researched the subject a bit, and
    > believe that I have four choices:
    >
    > 1. I have a CD burner and I could use the "back up"
    > function to backup to the hard drive and then copy the
    > backup file to a CD.
    >
    > 2. I could install the MSFT\NTBACKUP utility from the
    > Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM and use it.
    >
    > 3. Using Roxio Easy CD Creator, I can backup directly to
    > CD.
    >
    > 4. I could buy a back-up program or on-line back-up
    > service.
    >
    > The way I see it, option three only saves documents, is
    > pretty slow, and probably most useful for interim back-
    > ups of folders in which documents or files have been
    > changed. And I feel that option four is really over-kill
    > for an un-networked, non-work related computer.
    >
    > So, what would you advise? I want to keep this back-up
    > procedure as straightforward, but reliable, as possible.
    > Specifically, since I won't be doing this "entire system"
    > backup very often, I don't want to start using a
    > procedure so complicated or time-consuming that I "put it
    > off" until it's too late.
    >
    > But I definitely need something which will save my
    > extensive bookmarks (favorites), and spare me having to
    > re-install everything with my preferences from scratch.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in comparing possibilities.

    My vote goes for #4. I use Ghost 2003. You could use it to make an image
    of your hard drive to cds or cdrws. The nice thing about it is that when
    you restore you are back to the exact state your computer was in when you
    imaged. If you had to start over from scratch, think about how long it
    would take you to reinstall all the programs you use and tweak all the
    settings back to where you are now. Full imaging just makes things so much
    simpler.

[...]

    Right, BR.....but I found Ghost hard to use, when
    I tried it a couple of years ago. Drive Image is
    simpler (but now, like Ghost, is Symantec-
    owned, making it hard to get help with).

    BR549 wrote:
    > My vote goes for #4. I use Ghost 2003. You could use it to make an image
    > of your hard drive to cds or cdrws. The nice thing about it is that when
    > you restore you are back to the exact state your computer was in when you
    > imaged. If you had to start over from scratch, think about how long it
    > would take you to reinstall all the programs you use and tweak all the
    > settings back to where you are now. Full imaging just makes things so much
    > simpler.
    >
    > "Regina" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running XP (Home Edition), I'm an intermediate
    > beginner; I'm pretty good at keeping my computer safe
    > from intruders (I've only "gotten" one fairly feeble worm
    > and one lame trojan in three years), and I don't use my
    > computer for anything terribly fancy (i.e., no MP3, no
    > file-sharing, no on-line gaming, no vidio-editing), just
    > surfing, e-mail, and about a dozen userboards/groups.
    >
    > Right now, I have a few upgrades (including SP2) to
    > install on my computer, and I'd like to completely backup
    > *everything* first. I know (from asking around and
    > reading some answers here) that XP-Home edition doesn't
    > support much on its own -- i.e., it "backs up", but onto
    > the hard drive, and I want to do a TRUE back up onto an
    > external medium. I've researched the subject a bit, and
    > believe that I have four choices:
    >
    > 1. I have a CD burner and I could use the "back up"
    > function to backup to the hard drive and then copy the
    > backup file to a CD.
    >
    > 2. I could install the MSFT\NTBACKUP utility from the
    > Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM and use it.
    >
    > 3. Using Roxio Easy CD Creator, I can backup directly to
    > CD.
    >
    > 4. I could buy a back-up program or on-line back-up
    > service.
    >
    > The way I see it, option three only saves documents, is
    > pretty slow, and probably most useful for interim back-
    > ups of folders in which documents or files have been
    > changed. And I feel that option four is really over-kill
    > for an un-networked, non-work related computer.
    >
    > So, what would you advise? I want to keep this back-up
    > procedure as straightforward, but reliable, as possible.
    > Specifically, since I won't be doing this "entire system"
    > backup very often, I don't want to start using a
    > procedure so complicated or time-consuming that I "put it
    > off" until it's too late.
    >
    > But I definitely need something which will save my
    > extensive bookmarks (favorites), and spare me having to
    > re-install everything with my preferences from scratch.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in comparing possibilities.

    Sorry, it's ~30 min per ~6GB to 2.4x DVD+RW media. With 8x +R it's less
    than 10 min.

    Of the choices you list the option to use Ghost 2003 is your best option.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Regina" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running XP (Home Edition), I'm an intermediate
    > beginner; I'm pretty good at keeping my computer safe
    > from intruders (I've only "gotten" one fairly feeble worm
    > and one lame trojan in three years), and I don't use my
    > computer for anything terribly fancy (i.e., no MP3, no
    > file-sharing, no on-line gaming, no vidio-editing), just
    > surfing, e-mail, and about a dozen userboards/groups.
    >
    > Right now, I have a few upgrades (including SP2) to
    > install on my computer, and I'd like to completely backup
    > *everything* first. I know (from asking around and
    > reading some answers here) that XP-Home edition doesn't
    > support much on its own -- i.e., it "backs up", but onto
    > the hard drive, and I want to do a TRUE back up onto an
    > external medium. I've researched the subject a bit, and
    > believe that I have four choices:
    >
    > 1. I have a CD burner and I could use the "back up"
    > function to backup to the hard drive and then copy the
    > backup file to a CD.
    >
    > 2. I could install the MSFT\NTBACKUP utility from the
    > Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM and use it.
    >
    > 3. Using Roxio Easy CD Creator, I can backup directly to
    > CD.
    >
    > 4. I could buy a back-up program or on-line back-up
    > service.
    >
    > The way I see it, option three only saves documents, is
    > pretty slow, and probably most useful for interim back-
    > ups of folders in which documents or files have been
    > changed. And I feel that option four is really over-kill
    > for an un-networked, non-work related computer.
    >
    > So, what would you advise? I want to keep this back-up
    > procedure as straightforward, but reliable, as possible.
    > Specifically, since I won't be doing this "entire system"
    > backup very often, I don't want to start using a
    > procedure so complicated or time-consuming that I "put it
    > off" until it's too late.
    >
    > But I definitely need something which will save my
    > extensive bookmarks (favorites), and spare me having to
    > re-install everything with my preferences from scratch.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in comparing possibilities.

    I, like you, have used Drive Image for years and it does have a more
    intuitive interface. The only reason I stopped using it is I recommended it
    to a friend who tried using it to make images to cd. He was never able to
    successfully complete imaging that way. So I tried it to cd and was also
    disappointed in not ever being able to image to a cd. I then tried Ghost
    2003 and had no problems imaging to a hard disk (what I usually do) or
    imaging to a cd or dvd. I also tested restoring from cd to a spare drive
    and it worked flawlessly. I also never really cared for DI7 and making
    images while I'm using the pc, never felt comfortable doing that. Back when
    I used Drive Image I used DI 2002 and booted from dos. What matters is what
    works for you.

    Sharon F wrote:
> [...]
    >> individual files and folders from a full system backup file.
    >>
    >> Roxio doesn't really come into the picture unless you're going
    >> to do
    >> straight copies of data (files and/or folders) or if you're
    >> going to
    >> use it to burn a file stored on the hard drive that was
    >> created by a
    >> backup program. The backup file will have to be of a size that
    >> can
    >> fit on the disk type that you are burning to as Roxio will not
    >> split
    >> the file if it's too big.
    >>
    >> NOTE: Most backup programs will do this splitting for you,
    >> creating
    >> multiple disk sets for each backup. The caveat is that you
    >> have to
    >> use the backup program to restore the data to the hard drive.

    IMO, Winzip is an excellent choice for intermediate beginners,
    was it? It'll also span CDs if the file is too large, plus it's
    still available free.

    Pop

    Thanks to all -- Sharon, Michael, Pop, Chuck, Abram, BR,
    William, Harry, Gene -- I've copied all of your careful
    instructions and opinions into a document which I'll use
    as my guide-book in making my full and partial back-ups.

    I appreciate your time. I hope that anyone else with a
    similar question will be able to find and use this string.

    You're welcome, Regina, good luck.

    --

    > Thanks to all -- Sharon, Michael, Pop, Chuck, Abram, BR,
    > William, Harry, Gene -- I've copied all of your careful
    > instructions and opinions into a document which I'll use
    > as my guide-book in making my full and partial back-ups.
    >
    > I appreciate your time. I hope that anyone else with a
    > similar question will be able to find and use this string.

Computers Windows XP