shared scanner

Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u) over a
LAN?
8 answers Last reply
More about shared scanner

    "OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
    > Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u) over
    > a LAN?
    There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
    $3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > "OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
    >> Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u) over
    >> a LAN?
    > There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
    > $3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
    > --
    > Cari
    > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    Any idea why they don't develop network capable scanning software which can
    be purchased as an add-on to permit network sharing of cheaper scanners.
    Surely the makers realise its not a good idea to have a $3000 scanner
    sitting in a classroom mostly occupied by teenagers?

    Paul
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> "OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
    >>> Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u)
    >>> over a LAN?
    >> There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
    >> $3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
    >> --
    >> Cari
    >> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >>
    > Any idea why they don't develop network capable scanning software which
    > can be purchased as an add-on to permit network sharing of cheaper
    > scanners. Surely the makers realise its not a good idea to have a $3000
    > scanner sitting in a classroom mostly occupied by teenagers?
    >
    > Paul

    They do have network capable software for sharing scanners.
    http://www.share-scanner.com/

    HP Photosmart 2700 All-in-One series is network capable. About $360.
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238444-410635-421635-f57-391138.html

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >>> "OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
    >>> There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
    >>> $3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
    >>> --
    >>> Cari
    >>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >>>
    >> Any idea why they don't develop network capable scanning software which
    >> can be purchased as an add-on to permit network sharing of cheaper
    >> scanners. Surely the makers realise its not a good idea to have a $3000
    >> scanner sitting in a classroom mostly occupied by teenagers?
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > They do have network capable software for sharing scanners.
    > http://www.share-scanner.com/
    >
    > HP Photosmart 2700 All-in-One series is network capable. About $360.
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238444-410635-421635-f57-391138.html
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

    Thanks for the links - if that scanner sharing software product does all it
    claims to do, it looks like they've come up with the goose that lays golden
    eggs as far as sales to educational establishments are concerned.

    The scanner in the second link is still to expensive.

    Paul
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    actually, any UMAX scanner that uses magicscan has the ability, I use a Powerlook III and
    have doen exactly that.

    erie

    Paul Murphy wrote:
    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message

    >>>Any idea why they don't develop network capable scanning software which
    >>>can be purchased as an add-on to permit network sharing of cheaper
    >>>scanners. Surely the makers realise its not a good idea to have a $3000
    >>>scanner sitting in a classroom mostly occupied by teenagers?
    >>>
    >>>Paul
    >>>

    >>They do have network capable software for sharing scanners.
    >>http://www.share-scanner.com/
    >>
    >>HP Photosmart 2700 All-in-One series is network capable. About $360.
    >>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238444-410635-421635-f57-391138.html
    >>
    >>--
    >>CSM1
    >>http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >>--
    >>

    > Thanks for the links - if that scanner sharing software product does all it
    > claims to do, it looks like they've come up with the goose that lays golden
    > eggs as far as sales to educational establishments are concerned.
    >
    > The scanner in the second link is still to expensive.
    >
    > Paul

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "erie patsellis" <erie@shelbyvilledesign.com> wrote in message
    > actually, any UMAX scanner that uses magicscan has the ability, I use a
    > Powerlook III and have doen exactly that.
    >

    > erie

    I used to own a Umax Astra 1220P scanner but that only worked with
    Vistascan. My understanding is that their "consumer grade" scanners wont
    work with Magicscan and only the more expensive models will.

    Paul
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    I'll take your word for it, I've only used the PLIII's and a Linotype Opal Ultra. I've
    given up on the cheap HP's and the like long ago. You can find PLIII's on ebay pretty
    reasonably.

    erie

    Paul Murphy wrote:
    > "erie patsellis" <erie@shelbyvilledesign.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>actually, any UMAX scanner that uses magicscan has the ability, I use a
    >>Powerlook III and have doen exactly that.
    >>

    >>erie
    >

    > I used to own a Umax Astra 1220P scanner but that only worked with
    > Vistascan. My understanding is that their "consumer grade" scanners wont
    > work with Magicscan and only the more expensive models will.
    >
    > Paul

  8. Quote:

    "OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
    > Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u) over
    > a LAN?
    There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
    $3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    There are a couple of newer Epson scanners which are able to be shared over a LAN using the networking capability built into the ISIS driver which is provided. These scanners are oriented more toward document scanning than photo scanning. Price point is more like$500-$1500. GT1500, GT2500, GT20000 ship with the networkable ISIS drivers.

    Installation of the network is pretty simple.

Scanners LAN Epson Peripherals