shared scanner

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 13, 2005 11:16:51 PM

Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u) over a
LAN?

More about : shared scanner

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 11:16:52 PM

"OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
news:D 63061$22r$1@carabinieri.cs.interbusiness.it...
> Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u) over
> a LAN?
There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
$3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
news:p 76he.153$X92.48@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> "OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
> news:D 63061$22r$1@carabinieri.cs.interbusiness.it...
>> Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u) over
>> a LAN?
> There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
> $3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

Any idea why they don't develop network capable scanning software which can
be purchased as an add-on to permit network sharing of cheaper scanners.
Surely the makers realise its not a good idea to have a $3000 scanner
sitting in a classroom mostly occupied by teenagers?

Paul
May 15, 2005 12:10:03 AM

"Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> news:p 76he.153$X92.48@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> "OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
>> news:D 63061$22r$1@carabinieri.cs.interbusiness.it...
>>> Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u)
>>> over a LAN?
>> There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
>> $3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
>> --
>> Cari
>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>>
> Any idea why they don't develop network capable scanning software which
> can be purchased as an add-on to permit network sharing of cheaper
> scanners. Surely the makers realise its not a good idea to have a $3000
> scanner sitting in a classroom mostly occupied by teenagers?
>
> Paul

They do have network capable software for sharing scanners.
http://www.share-scanner.com/

HP Photosmart 2700 All-in-One series is network capable. About $360.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238...

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> news:p 76he.153$X92.48@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>> "OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
>>> news:D 63061$22r$1@carabinieri.cs.interbusiness.it...
>>> There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
>>> $3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
>>> --
>>> Cari
>>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>>>
>> Any idea why they don't develop network capable scanning software which
>> can be purchased as an add-on to permit network sharing of cheaper
>> scanners. Surely the makers realise its not a good idea to have a $3000
>> scanner sitting in a classroom mostly occupied by teenagers?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> They do have network capable software for sharing scanners.
> http://www.share-scanner.com/
>
> HP Photosmart 2700 All-in-One series is network capable. About $360.
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238...
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

Thanks for the links - if that scanner sharing software product does all it
claims to do, it looks like they've come up with the goose that lays golden
eggs as far as sales to educational establishments are concerned.

The scanner in the second link is still to expensive.

Paul
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:26:43 AM

actually, any UMAX scanner that uses magicscan has the ability, I use a Powerlook III and
have doen exactly that.

erie

Paul Murphy wrote:
> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>>news:p 76he.153$X92.48@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

>>>Any idea why they don't develop network capable scanning software which
>>>can be purchased as an add-on to permit network sharing of cheaper
>>>scanners. Surely the makers realise its not a good idea to have a $3000
>>>scanner sitting in a classroom mostly occupied by teenagers?
>>>
>>>Paul
>>>

>>They do have network capable software for sharing scanners.
>>http://www.share-scanner.com/
>>
>>HP Photosmart 2700 All-in-One series is network capable. About $360.
>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238...
>>
>>--
>>CSM1
>>http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>>--
>>

> Thanks for the links - if that scanner sharing software product does all it
> claims to do, it looks like they've come up with the goose that lays golden
> eggs as far as sales to educational establishments are concerned.
>
> The scanner in the second link is still to expensive.
>
> Paul

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 6:37:02 AM

"erie patsellis" <erie@shelbyvilledesign.com> wrote in message
news:o T8me.1409$dN6.913@fe03.lga...
> actually, any UMAX scanner that uses magicscan has the ability, I use a
> Powerlook III and have doen exactly that.
>

> erie

I used to own a Umax Astra 1220P scanner but that only worked with
Vistascan. My understanding is that their "consumer grade" scanners wont
work with Magicscan and only the more expensive models will.

Paul
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:55:07 AM

I'll take your word for it, I've only used the PLIII's and a Linotype Opal Ultra. I've
given up on the cheap HP's and the like long ago. You can find PLIII's on ebay pretty
reasonably.

erie

Paul Murphy wrote:
> "erie patsellis" <erie@shelbyvilledesign.com> wrote in message
> news:o T8me.1409$dN6.913@fe03.lga...
>
>>actually, any UMAX scanner that uses magicscan has the ability, I use a
>>Powerlook III and have doen exactly that.
>>

>>erie
>

> I used to own a Umax Astra 1220P scanner but that only worked with
> Vistascan. My understanding is that their "consumer grade" scanners wont
> work with Magicscan and only the more expensive models will.
>
> Paul

September 3, 2009 8:51:26 PM

Quote:

"OMN" <gb@no.it> wrote in message
news:D 63061$22r$1@carabinieri.cs.interbusiness.it...
> Hello, is there any ways to share a scanner (Epson perfection 1240u) over
> a LAN?
There are specific networking scanners from Epson, they start at around
$3,000, so in general it's cheaper to buy serveral non networkable ones.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

There are a couple of newer Epson scanners which are able to be shared over a LAN using the networking capability built into the ISIS driver which is provided. These scanners are oriented more toward document scanning than photo scanning. Price point is more like$500-$1500. GT1500, GT2500, GT20000 ship with the networkable ISIS drivers.

Installation of the network is pretty simple.
!