copy DIR to TXT file

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi folks,

I used to be able to do this in DOS so easily but I
haven't used DOS in sooo long I've forgotten how!

All I want to do is copy file names from a directory to a
text file so then I can import those file names into an
Excel spreadsheet.

How do I get the dir file names into a text file?

Thanks

Hi

You can re-direct to a text file with the following command:

dir > dir.txt

naming the text file whatever you want and saving it in whichever folder you
want to.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I used to be able to do this in DOS so easily but I
> haven't used DOS in sooo long I've forgotten how!
>
> All I want to do is copy file names from a directory to a
> text file so then I can import those file names into an
> Excel spreadsheet.
>
> How do I get the dir file names into a text file?
>
> Thanks

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Doh!

It's been a few years.

Thanks, Will

Man do I miss the simplicity of DOS!

Tony

Some of the good old DOS commands come in handy at times.

--

Tony wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I used to be able to do this in DOS so easily but I
> haven't used DOS in sooo long I've forgotten how!
>
> All I want to do is copy file names from a directory to a
> text file so then I can import those file names into an
> Excel spreadsheet.
>
> How do I get the dir file names into a text file?
>
> Thanks

From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to
the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1,"
just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR
command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to
modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text
file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

Alternatively:

HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

C:\>dir /?
Displays a list of files and subdirectories in a directory.

DIR [drive:][path][filename] [/A[[:]attributes]] [/B] [/C] [/D] [/L] [/N]
[/O[[:]sortorder]] [/P] [/Q] [/S] [/T[[:]timefield]] [/W] [/X] [/4]

[drive:][path][filename]
Specifies drive, directory, and/or files to list.

/A Displays files with specified attributes.
attributes D Directories R Read-only files
H Hidden files A Files ready for archiving
S System files - Prefix meaning not
/B Uses bare format (no heading information or summary).
/C Display the thousand separator in file sizes. This is the
default. Use /-C to disable display of separator.
/D Same as wide but files are list sorted by column.
/L Uses lowercase.
/N New long list format where filenames are on the far right.
/O List by files in sorted order.
sortorder N By name (alphabetic) S By size (smallest first)
E By extension (alphabetic) D By date/time (oldest first)
G Group directories first - Prefix to reverse order
/P Pauses after each screenful of information.
/Q Display the owner of the file.
/S Displays files in specified directory and all subdirectories.
/T Controls which time field displayed or used for sorting
timefield C Creation
A Last Access
W Last Written
/W Uses wide list format.
/X This displays the short names generated for non-8dot3 file
names. The format is that of /N with the short name inserted
before the long name. If no short name is present, blanks are
displayed in its place.
/4 Displays four-digit years

Switches may be preset in the DIRCMD environment variable. Override
preset switches by prefixing any switch with - (hyphen)--for example, /-W.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Don't forget Karen's Directory Printer, a nice little free app.
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

--

Kenny

> Some of the good old DOS commands come in handy at times.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Doh!
> >
> > It's been a few years.
> >
> > Thanks, Will
> >
> > Man do I miss the simplicity of DOS!
> >
> > Tony

Tony,

How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0db501c4e65a$c761d860$a301280a@phx.gbl...
Hi folks,

I used to be able to do this in DOS so easily but I
haven't used DOS in sooo long I've forgotten how!

All I want to do is copy file names from a directory to a
text file so then I can import those file names into an
Excel spreadsheet.

How do I get the dir file names into a text file?

Thanks

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

That's not exactly what I was looking for but I did add
that capability to my folder options.

Thanks!

Tony

Like DEL, when a file says is in use by another process (in Win Explorer)
but deletes fine in CMD-prompt...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä
> Some of the good old DOS commands come in handy at times.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Doh!
> >
> > It's been a few years.
> >
> > Thanks, Will
> >
> > Man do I miss the simplicity of DOS!
> >
> > Tony

pop

Will Denny wrote:
>> Some of the good old DOS commands come in handy at times.
>>
>> --

Yes, but you know, this and many other like it should have been
in windows from the 3.0 days and onward; Many people never heard
of DOS but still have all the same problems DOS served so well
and so simply. I've often wondered why.

Pop

pop

Bruce Chambers wrote:
>> Tony wrote:
>> From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply
>> change to
>> the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir >
>> lpt1,"
>> just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the
>> DIR
>> command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you
>> wish to
>> modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the
>> resulting text
>> file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.
>>
>> Alternatively:

Huh! That is so wonderfully simple I am simply AMAZED at how
stupid I am! I never even came close to thinking about doing it
that way! I mean, I come from way back when and CP/M and the
whole shot, and should have known!
How quickly we forget old friends, sometimes. I particularly
like the cmd method because it doesn't put more rubbish in the
right click menues.

KUDOS!!

Pop