copy DIR to TXT file

Hi folks,

I used to be able to do this in DOS so easily but I
haven't used DOS in sooo long I've forgotten how!

All I want to do is copy file names from a directory to a
text file so then I can import those file names into an
Excel spreadsheet.

How do I get the dir file names into a text file?

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about copy file

    Hi

    You can re-direct to a text file with the following command:

    dir > dir.txt

    naming the text file whatever you want and saving it in whichever folder you
    want to.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I used to be able to do this in DOS so easily but I
    > haven't used DOS in sooo long I've forgotten how!
    >
    > All I want to do is copy file names from a directory to a
    > text file so then I can import those file names into an
    > Excel spreadsheet.
    >
    > How do I get the dir file names into a text file?
    >
    > Thanks

    Doh!

    It's been a few years.

    Thanks, Will

    Man do I miss the simplicity of DOS!

    Tony

    Some of the good old DOS commands come in handy at times.

    --

    Tony wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I used to be able to do this in DOS so easily but I
    > haven't used DOS in sooo long I've forgotten how!
    >
    > All I want to do is copy file names from a directory to a
    > text file so then I can import those file names into an
    > Excel spreadsheet.
    >
    > How do I get the dir file names into a text file?
    >
    > Thanks

    From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to
    the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1,"
    just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR
    command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to
    modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text
    file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

    Alternatively:

    HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

    C:\>dir /?
    Displays a list of files and subdirectories in a directory.

    DIR [drive:][path][filename] [/A[[:]attributes]] [/C] [/D] [/L] [/N]
    [/O[[:]sortorder]] [/P] [/Q] [/T[[:]timefield]] [/W] [/X] [/4]

    [drive:][path][filename]
    Specifies drive, directory, and/or files to list.

    /A Displays files with specified attributes.
    attributes D Directories R Read-only files
    H Hidden files A Files ready for archiving
    S System files - Prefix meaning not
    /B Uses bare format (no heading information or summary).
    /C Display the thousand separator in file sizes. This is the
    default. Use /-C to disable display of separator.
    /D Same as wide but files are list sorted by column.
    /L Uses lowercase.
    /N New long list format where filenames are on the far right.
    /O List by files in sorted order.
    sortorder N By name (alphabetic) S By size (smallest first)
    E By extension (alphabetic) D By date/time (oldest first)
    G Group directories first - Prefix to reverse order
    /P Pauses after each screenful of information.
    /Q Display the owner of the file.
    /S Displays files in specified directory and all subdirectories.
    /T Controls which time field displayed or used for sorting
    timefield C Creation
    A Last Access
    W Last Written
    /W Uses wide list format.
    /X This displays the short names generated for non-8dot3 file
    names. The format is that of /N with the short name inserted
    before the long name. If no short name is present, blanks are
    displayed in its place.
    /4 Displays four-digit years

    Switches may be preset in the DIRCMD environment variable. Override
    preset switches by prefixing any switch with - (hyphen)--for example, /-W.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Don't forget Karen's Directory Printer, a nice little free app.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

    --

    Kenny

    > Some of the good old DOS commands come in handy at times.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Doh!
    > >
    > > It's been a few years.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Will
    > >
    > > Man do I miss the simplicity of DOS!
    > >
    > > Tony

    Tony,

    How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0db501c4e65a$c761d860$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    Hi folks,

    I used to be able to do this in DOS so easily but I
    haven't used DOS in sooo long I've forgotten how!

    All I want to do is copy file names from a directory to a
    text file so then I can import those file names into an
    Excel spreadsheet.

    How do I get the dir file names into a text file?

    Thanks

    That's not exactly what I was looking for but I did add
    that capability to my folder options.

    Thanks!

    Tony

    Like DEL, when a file says is in use by another process (in Win Explorer)
    but deletes fine in CMD-prompt...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> kirjoitti viestissä

    Will Denny wrote:
    >> Some of the good old DOS commands come in handy at times.
    >>
    >> --

    Yes, but you know, this and many other like it should have been
    in windows from the 3.0 days and onward; Many people never heard
    of DOS but still have all the same problems DOS served so well
    and so simply. I've often wondered why.

    Pop

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    >> Tony wrote:
    >> From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply
    >> change to
    >> the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir >
    >> lpt1,"
    >> just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the
    >> DIR
    >> command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you
    >> wish to
    >> modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the
    >> resulting text
    >> file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.
    >>
    >> Alternatively:

    Huh! That is so wonderfully simple I am simply AMAZED at how
    stupid I am! I never even came close to thinking about doing it
    that way! I mean, I come from way back when and CP/M and the
    whole shot, and should have known!
    How quickly we forget old friends, sometimes. I particularly
    like the cmd method because it doesn't put more rubbish in the
    right click menues.

    KUDOS!!

    Pop

DOS Microsoft Windows XP