USB wireless adapter drops connection

Warten

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I have a TrendNet TEW-452BRP router and a TEW-444UB USB adapter. They are working fine although the speed is limited by the fact that the computer that the TEW-444UB is connected to only has USB 1.1 ports. The computer is running Windows XP SP2 home edition.

I just installed a USB 2.0 PCI adapter in that computer and plugged the TEW-444UB into a USB 2.0 port.

I was able to transfer several files and transfers were much quicker.

The problem came when I tried to transfer a file greater that about 100 MB. Part way through the large file transfer the wireless connection dropped. I tried restoring the connection via the 802.11g wireless client but was unable to because the TEW-452BRP access point did not show up in the list of available networks. I tried rebooting the computer but then the device manager showed the 802.11g wireless network adapter as "unable to start (code 10)".

If I disconnect the TEW-444UB and plug it back into either the USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 port the connection restores immediately.

Signal strength varies between very good and excellent. All advanced wireless settings are at default. I tried both static turbo and dynamic turbo modes with the same result.

I sent this to TrendNet tech support and they suggested that the new USB card is not providding the wireless USB adapter sufficient power?? I doubt that this is the case.

Any idea why the connection is dropping on large files transfers?

pipexii

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I have a TrendNet TEW-452BRP router and a TEW-444UB USB adapter......
......wireless connection dropped. I tried restoring the connection via the 802.11g wireless client but was unable to because the TEW-452BRP access point did not show up in the list of available networks. I tried rebooting the computer but then the device manager showed the 802.11g wireless network adapter as "unable to start (code 10)".

If I disconnect the TEW-444UB and plug it back into either the USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 port the connection restores immediately.

Signal strength varies between very good and excellent. All advanced wireless settings are at default. I tried both static turbo and dynamic turbo modes with the same result.

Hey Warten,

I have the same combo: TrendNet TEW-452BRP router and a TEW-444UB USB adapter, I also have the exact same problem as you describe above.. to a tee. (although I didn't notice it to happen with large files... it just happens every few days) Just annoying the fact that if i just unplug the damn thing and plug it back in it works.. but nothing else done with software or rebooting has any effect.

Did you ever find a cure/cause?

Thanks
PipeXII

/ Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 / Athlon 64 3200+ / ASUS M2NPV-VM / 1GB Crucial Rendition PC2-5300 / 80gb WD ATA / 250gb WD SE16 SATA / 16x HP DL DVD+-RW w/lightscribe / Nmedia HTPC-280BAV / Logitech Cordless Desktop Ex 110 / Panasonic 27" SDTV 480i / Trendnet TEW-444UB Wi-Fi Super-G / SageTV 6.0.13/

meestahp

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Yes, I also am experiencing the same problem, exact combination of adapter & router, also I have not noticed any any trouble when sending large files. Most of my troubles come from leaving the computer on all night downloading torrents, I can usually guarantee that when I wake up the connection will have been dropped.

ATI Radeon 9800/AMD Athlon 2800/Asus A7N8X/1Gb PC3200/WD 250GB/WD 200GB/LiteOn DvdRW/Presonus FirePod/Aarvark Q10 Pro/M-Audio Delta 1010/Trendnet TEW-444UB

pipexii

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
meestahp,

Well it's only been just over a month since the post i made above (which was a year after the original poster) I still haven't found a fix.
There are a few errors in the event log when it drops connection, and they all seem to have to do with having previous networks conflicting with the new wireless. My trendnet adapter shows up as 'local area connection 5' i used to have it connected on a crossover cable with ICS, then on a wired router.

Still trying to find a fix.. Let me know if you do!
PipeXII

justice7

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Have any of you attempted to contact TrendNET support?

I sent them an email and they had sent me a reply with a beta firmware attached which has resolved the issue you guys have described. This firmware is not listed on the website.

The firmware i received (TEW-452BRP B1.1R - TEW-452BRP_A1_v4.00b0027_nml.bin)

I'd recommend contacting them and obtaining yours.

Its not often you find a company that gives out beta firmware's without taking you through the ringer first, glad they treat some of their customers like they know what they're talking about.

pipexii

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
So your saying firmware for the router is the fix?
It could cause my Wireless USB adapter to get the unable to start (code 10) error?
Im just kinda scepticle about updating anything with the router as there are other connections (wired homePC and wireless Playstation3) that work with no problems what so ever.

There is however a new driver/client utility for the Wireless USB adapter on the Trendnet site, 03-17-2007 i believe they are dated. But i had nothing but problems after installing them as well.

justice7

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Hey, maybe i didn't read your initial post correctly

but this firmware does address, at least, the router dropping during high bandwidth

pipexii

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
So i went out today and bought a D-Link WUA-2340 Rangebooster G USB 2.0 Adapter (108Mbps as well) thinking.. ok screw you Trendnet, your time is up.. And what do you know, the D-Link gives me the same problems I had with tthe Trendnet TEW-444UB described above. So Maybe I could need a firmaware update for the router. But i still think that it has something to do with old networks settings conflicting. Now after all this screwing around and different drivers and settings, when i go into network properties my Trendnet (or D-Link whatevers connected) is now listed as 'Wireless network connection 11'

pipexii

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Just received and upgraded the firmware.
TEW-452BRP_A1_v4.00b0027_nml.zip was the version they sent me as well. I will let everyone know in the next few days if it is able to hold its connection now.

jrscLONE

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
had the same problem as you. tried the firmware, new drivers, all windows updates, and nothing. not sure if this will work for you but the only fix i found was to use the usb cable extension that came with the dongle and move the dongle as far away from the computer and monitor as possible. my computer sits fairly high so i could just let the dongle hang straight down.