Sign in with
Your question

I'm about to buy all this new stuff, will I do good ?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2006 9:08:59 PM

Did you feel nervouse doing it your first time ?

Ok this build is to serve not just gaming, but allso for home video edditing.
I realize it would save considerable money ordering from newegg but I'd rather go with the local shop (canadian $ by the way). And I'm not as interested in the pricing as I am with the compatibility of the components.

Concerns I'm facing now are...
Is my power suply sufficient to run 3 hard drives ? The first drive would run my operating system the other 2 will be Raid 0 to hold data.
(not interested in in 3 drive raid).
Will this case be sufficiently quiet and cool ?

Any insight or sugestions greatly valued and appreciated.

Thanks

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 w/ DualDDR2 800, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, SATA II, 1394, PCI-E x16
Onboard 100/1000 Gigabit Lan
Onboard 8-Channel 7.1 Audio
$259.95

Intel Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 2.4GHz w/ 4MB Cache
Intel Retail Heatsink and Fan
Limited Quantities $379.95
$379.95

eVGA e-GeForce 7950 GT KO SuperClocked 512MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out $389.95
$389.95

Kingston 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM Kit (2 x 1GB) $289.95
$289.95

3x Maxtor 200GB DiamondMax 10 7200RPM SATAII w/ 8MB Cache (ROHS) $89.95
$269.85

Enermax 600W EG701AX-VE SFMA Noisetaker II Power Supply $154.95
$154.95

Samsung SH-S162L Lightscribe 16x16 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW, Beige $54.95

Thermaltake Swing Middle Tower, Silver $89.95

Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2006 $59.95

Logitech Media Keyboard Elite $34.95
$34.95

Logitech MX 518 Gaming-Grade™ Optical Mouse Special Order $59.95

5455 Logitech Z-2300 THX® Certified 2.1 Speaker System $139.95

6284 VANTEC All-in-One USB2.0 Internal Card Reader $24.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All prices subject to change without prior notice.
Prices does not include the Alberta Electronics Recycling Environmental Fee.
All trademarks, and registered trademarks are properties of their respective owners.
Memory Express does not take responsibility for misprints on product prices and information. Subtotal: $2209.29
GST: $132.56
Total: $2341.85

More about : buy stuff good

November 10, 2006 9:43:30 PM

Looks good. For only like $20 more you can get a good 320Gb Hard drive. Also the Logitech G5 is probably better than the MX 518 for not much more. I think your power supply will be fine at 600W.

My biggest recomendation: Consider the 8800GTS graphics card. For 25% more money you will get like 75% more performance and will be all nice and ready for DX10. The new 8800 series is really a technology turning point... its not like the transition from 6000 to 7000 series.
November 10, 2006 9:55:57 PM

Quote:

My biggest recomendation: Consider the 8800GTS graphics card. For 25% more money you will get like 75% more performance and will be all nice and ready for DX10. The new 8800 series is really a technology turning point... its not like the transition from 6000 to 7000 series.

More power is allways the temptation. I will consider your recomendation.

The store I'm buying from lists 2 variations, I assume you would prefer the one with more memory ?

eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-

or

eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-
Related resources
November 10, 2006 10:25:37 PM

The GTS will be fine for your 1st system....if ya got dough to blow then get the GTX
November 10, 2006 10:52:50 PM

Could someone comment on my power suply ?
I used the power calc but it didn't come out looking too good, maybe I was over compensating.
Do think this is enough with room to spare ?
November 10, 2006 10:53:33 PM

Hard drives don't draw that much power, it's the rest of the system you should be more concerned about. Try this: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

I'm not familiar with the specific HD you picked out, but in general for video editing you should see good performance gains from a raid-0 array. However, running your programs and OS from the slow drive doesn't make much sense. IMO: get a 4th drive fro a 2nd raid-0 array or just stick with 2 drives and a single raid-0 array. And either way consider an external drive for nightly backups for video editing work. Unless you're trying to load game levels *while* video editing I think you'll see better peformance running the OS and Programs off the same raid-0 array rather then a seperate slower drive. You could also consider a faster single drive like a WD Raptor that will have better burst performance than your raid-0 array (in raid-0 all any drive access takes at least as long as the slowest drive + overhead for the raid controller but you get up to Nx as much throughput).
November 10, 2006 11:23:58 PM

Quote:

More power is allways the temptation. I will consider your recomendation.

The store I'm buying from lists 2 variations, I assume you would prefer the one with more memory ?

eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-

or

eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-

The 8800GTS is more than enough to blow your current choice away. If you have an additional $150 to spend on top of that then you can go with the GTX but that jump is not nearly as important as the jump from what you are looking at to the GTS.
November 10, 2006 11:29:41 PM

I have a question, how do you boot from 1 HDD and configure 2 others in a RAID0.......if it could be done, what purpose would it serve.
The OS is loaded on this disk here and then those 2 totally separate disks in Raid0 saying to each other: "has anybody seen that confounded bridge, we'd like to swim across this rivwer and help speed up the R/W data transfer but we're stuck over here on the other side of the river, has anybody seen the bridge..."

All system drives are striped, mirrored or striped/mirrored......in a nutshell
November 11, 2006 4:31:51 AM

Quote:
Could someone comment on my power suply ?
I used the power calc but it didn't come out looking too good, maybe I was over compensating.
Do think this is enough with room to spare ?

Thanks everyone for your contributions.
I will give serious consideration to both my VDO card choice and my drive configuations.

Any chance someone could comment on my choice of power suplies and case ?
I used thehttp://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
And made it look very deficient. How much do you think I need ?
Allso I am concerned that my chosen case Thermaltake Swing Middle Tower
Would be both sufficiently cooled and still on the quiet side ?
November 11, 2006 5:32:40 AM

I don't like batteries.... I'd go for the G5 Logitech mouse, and any good ps2 keyboard. USB in a pinch, get a usb - ps2 adapter for when your usb ports fail... Just my past issues with the above lead me to suggest this.

Drives...

Get a Raptor 74 GB for your system, and two seagate 7200.10's (of whatever size you need / can afford) for the others. The seagates come with 5 yr warranties...

antivirus...

I personally dislike Trend Micro almost as much as Norton. Look at F-Prot. Better protection, less system overhead... Cheaper? No. But you get what you pay for.

My 2p...
November 11, 2006 12:45:32 PM

Quote:
I don't like batteries.... I'd go for the G5 Logitech mouse, and any good ps2 keyboard. USB in a pinch, get a usb - ps2 adapter for when your usb ports fail... Just my past issues with the above lead me to suggest this.

I can do fine without any form of wireless, will let the masses fund the research of refining these wireless technologies more before I indulge.
I have lot's of generic PS2 mouse and keyboards lying around for back-ups
Quote:

Drives...

Get a Raptor 74 GB for your system, and two seagate 7200.10's (of whatever size you need / can afford) for the others. The seagates come with 5 yr warranties...

I was actually looking at that very same Raptor drive, I may revert again, not sure.

Quote:

antivirus...

I personally dislike Trend Micro almost as much as Norton. Look at F-Prot. Better protection, less system overhead... Cheaper? No. But you get what you pay for.

My 2p...

I like your attitude !

So what do you think of my Case and power suply ?
November 11, 2006 7:28:09 PM

I don't know that much about power supplies to have a valid opinion, here is AUS we have a limited selection. I currently have an Antec 550 neo, it claims to have 18 amps on each of 4 rails, but I haven't pushed that to a test. It has yet to disappoint, so would probably get another one for my next build.

Cases are too much up to personal taste. I'd look for one that has good fans fore and aft, and more than 30 CM between the card cage and where the back end of a hard drive would be.

My next one will probably be a wavetech for the removable MB tray.
November 14, 2006 4:19:47 AM

Case looks ok, pretty generic really. There are a multitude of similar cases you could choose from. Unless you absolutely must have the shiny finish (that will easily show any fingerprints, dust, or dirt, I don't like them) you could get something very similar for less. Only 2 problem I can see is: how does that front panel fan get any air? Looks like it's completely blocked in the pictures on their website. And what's up with the side-panel vents? One for a fan and one passive? The passive vents will short out air-flow to the HDs so make sure you get a front panel fan for this case (and make sure it can actually draw fresh air into the case). The only tower cases I've bought in the past few years were super-cheapies (I prefer SFF), so I can't really help you out there.

Power Supply: I just got a seasonic s12 380w. It's the quietest component in my case. They're pretty high quality and one of the most power-efficient choices. By my quick calculation you want something in the range of 470-630watt (to run between 80% and 60% at full load). You shouldn't need quad-12v rails but looks like there isn't much of a price difference between the dual and quad s12 models so get whatever is the better deal. like this for instance With good case temps and no OCing almost any PSU with enough amperage on the 12v lines will do the job, but wasting 30% of your electricity with a cheap PSU before it even gets to your motherboard is kind of lame.
!