Sign in with
Your question

Building a video editing/gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
November 11, 2006 12:06:51 AM

I need help building a video editing/gaming rig without spending more than "seems reasonable." I'm not sure what is reasonable, but hopefully, as this discussion begins, I'll find out.

The only game I play with any real frequency is Counter-Strike 1.6, however, I would like a graphics card with enough "umph" to play games that are released for atleast the next couple years. I was planning around building the system around a C2D E6600, because I really need that 4 mb cache for my editing, but don't want to blow my load on the more expensive, top of the line C2D. I will be needing atleast 2 GB of RAM, but in 1 gb modules so that I can upgrade to 4 gb when the time comes. I already have SATA hard drives, optical drives, and a case that I will be recycling from my P4 system. What I really need to know is what RAM should I buy if I'm not interested in Overclocking? Is the E6600 going to fit my needs? What video card will do me well for the next two years? What motherboard should I invest in that is dependable, has good hard drive support, and wont unneccesarily kill my wallet?

I haven't built a computer since my P4 2.4C system 3 or 4 years ago when the Northwoods were hot ****, so I'm kind of out of the loop. =p

Thanks a lot,

Gustav
!