Just build - one problem.

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
So, just built my computer: see this thread

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/build-pls-ahead-ftopict207486.html

Everything is going great - my first build took about 4 hours and it runs smooth so far. Just one thing... the fan in the PSU isn't going... not sure what's up with that. It has a 4 pin adapter but when I plug it into the SYS FAN plug in on the mobo the computer doesn't start.

Any tips?

Thanks!

I agree with the poster above me. Just wanted to let you know that eVGA offers a program where you can trade in your video card for a better one, and pay the dividend. So, you could trade in the 7950GT at some point for an 8800. Just thought I'd tip you off!

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Wait as minute here, the built-in PSU fan has a separate 4-pin connector attached to it....... :?:
what kind of 4-pin connector is it.. :?:
modular, ATX, ATX12V, PCI-E...what

Did you mount a additional fan to the PSU,,,?
Are you sure the connector is wired to the PSU fan...?

Maybe my Tramadol is kickin in and i can't think clearly..... :?

yorikatl

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
All the PSU wires - one of them is a 4 pin female. I have the 120 case fan plugged into the proper spot. Not sure where that other plug in goes.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I may have over-complicated my previous reply....if the PC runs ok but the PSU fan doesn't come on it may be temperature controlled.
The power cables are almost noob-proof and will usally only plug-in where they belong (most of the time).....

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article260-page2.html

The blue and black CPU fan connector I take it?

It's for the SYS or PWR fan pin set. You sure it's not 3 pin? Should be 3. All it's used for is to measure the speed of the PSU fan. You don't even have to hook it up. If your PC runs, and your fan doesn't EVER kick on, you may have air flowing through your PSU already. I have to ask you this, do you have several fans blowing cool air INTO your case already? Perhaps without other vents besides your PSU? If the fan NEVER kicks on, it could be a faulty PSU though. Check your manual for anything about thermal sensors or automatic fan or temperature. See what it says. Don't feel stupid if you just didn't read, we all do it from time to time. Just let us know what's up! :)

Another thing, your PSU fan doesn't require any kind of connection, it's already connected inside the PSU itself. Just making sure you knew that.

yorikatl

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Ya I saw the black and blue one. The one I'm looking at is seperate with four pins (female). I figured the fan was powered automaticly, and there is one large 120mm fan. I've got it fairly well orginized so airflow is good. Played EQii for a few hours last night and I don't think it turned on but the computer is running fine.

Oh one complaint - I ended up getting the evga 7900gs and it's an improvement over my old 9700pro I have in my other computer... but not as much of one as I figured it would be. Oh well.

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Ya I saw the black and blue one. The one I'm looking at is seperate with four pins (female). I figured the fan was powered automaticly, and there is one large 120mm fan. I've got it fairly well orginized so airflow is good. Played EQii for a few hours last night and I don't think it turned on but the computer is running fine.

Oh one complaint - I ended up getting the evga 7900gs and it's an improvement over my old 9700pro I have in my other computer... but not as much of one as I figured it would be. Oh well.

On my PSU, the fans had four pin females on the end, but you could take them off and have three-pins. Not sure if that helps. And I don't know if you saw my post above, but you can trade your eVGA 7900gs into eVGA and pay the dividend to get a better one from them, as in, a new 8800.