hankeypoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I just built a new pc, after installing windows and a few drivers I was sitting their with my computer on but not running any programs when it suddenly shut off. Now when I try to turn it on the PSU light blinks on and off and the fans spin for split second and stop and it keeps doing this until I turn it off. Is the problem the PSU or something else? And what should I do?

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
if you could post your specs, we could give you more help. Put it in you sig.

based on what you say though, that would seem to point it in the direction of the psu. Undo your main power cables and see if there is any frying. Also check the capacitors on the mobo for carbon scoring (fancy word for burns)

if you find any on your power connectors, find in your mobo manual the diagram depicting the leads (+12v, +5v, etc.) and post it.

The first thing to do is make sure you removed any unused motherboard mounting stanchions. New build and doesn't boot is most likely a PSU or Mobo issue, but could also be a bad stick of RAM. Some of the most common reasons on a new build is shorted mobo, improperly seated components, power not connected properly and to all the required places.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
A loose hard drive connection can cause a system to shut down. Check the cables going to your hard disks. If the computer tries to access them after post screen to boot windows it can cause vibrations that act like a short. Did you hear any beeps? Check the beeps (if any) against the manufacturers product manual of your mobo. Beeps usually signal ram, CPU, or CPU fan. Try calling your motherboard manufacturer, they may advise you to try pulling the CMOS battery before sending it in for an RMA. Chances are though if your PSU came with your case, is low on power, or you just got a bad one - it's the most likely source of the problem.