Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer hangs after post (unless there's a bootable CD in tray)

Last response: in Windows 7
June 12, 2011 5:58:11 PM

Computer posts, then checks hard disk RAID status (Healthy), then a white blinking cursor appears on upper left corner on black screen, and hangs there forever, UNLESS i put in a Windows bootable CD, then based on my boot priority order (CD ROM, HD) it reads the CD, then it displays "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...", for which i don't press anything, and the computer proceeds to boot Win 7 OS correctly. So basically it doesn't boot unless i just have a bootable CD in tray. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2011 6:37:53 PM

can you get into Save Mode?
Score
June 12, 2011 7:33:21 PM

Have you tried going into the BIOS and checking the boot order?
Score
Related resources
June 12, 2011 8:07:36 PM

@Emerald: Yes.
@livebriand: The boot order is :CD ROM, HD, External Drive.
Score
June 12, 2011 8:09:15 PM

Let me clarify, the comp boots off the hard disk, not off the CD, but only when there's a disk on the tray. It reads the CD, i don't press anything so that it doesn't boot off it, then it loads the OS from the hd and I can then use the comp normally.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2011 8:20:32 PM

Change the boot order so that the hard disk is before the optical drive.

The only time you need to boot from an optical drive is if you're installing the Operation System or if you're booting up from a hard disk recovery utility CD/DVD and you can change the boot order back to optical before HDD before doing this.
Score
June 12, 2011 8:27:06 PM

@ko888, when i try that the comp just hangs after post and only responds to Ctrl Alt Del. The only way i can get it to boot is if I have CD ROM as 1st in boot priority, then it reads the disk, tells me to press any key to boot from disk (to which I don't), then it loads Windows 7 correctly.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2011 8:30:43 PM

Then your boot hard disk drive's MBR is screwed up and needs to be fixed.
June 12, 2011 9:11:29 PM

Thanks to ko888 and everyone else for helping me out. Tried fixing the Master Boot Record and it fixed the problem. Thanks guys.

For specific instructions on how I fixed it:

Insert Win 7 installation DVD and boot from DVD drive. While in some older systems you may have to change boot order through system BIOS, most newer systems allow booting from DVD without changing boot order by simply clicking on any key when prompted to doing so.

Choose your default "Language", "Time", and "keyboard Input" on the first window and click next.

You're now presented with 3 choices. Click on "Repair Your Computer" to gain access to the System Recovery window. Now choose "Command Prompt" in order to run the desired utility which is called "bootsect.exe". Bootsect is located inside the boot folder so change your directory to boot. Now run "bootsect /nt60 C:" if you had Win 7 initially installed in the C partition. Alternatively, you can run "bootsect /nt60 SYS" or "bootsect /nt60 ALL" to repair the system partition or all partitions. Eject the DVD, and restart computer. Your computer should now boot Win 7 again.
Score
June 12, 2011 9:11:50 PM

Best answer selected by ItsShortForLeo.
Score
a c 416 $ Windows 7
June 12, 2011 11:45:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!