Need recommendation on a dental x-ray scanner

I have a dental office that wants me to scan their dental xrays so that
they can be emailed.

I would really appreciate any recommendations on a scanner that can do
this. They have two films they are useing (1) pana @ ~126mm x ~280mm and
(2) ~32mm x ~42mm.

The second smaller one is sometimes held in a black plastic carrier(?) that
holds around 15. They are also sometimes held in a clear plastic sheet with
pockets that is about the same size as (1).

Both are your standard xray transparency film so a backlight would be
necessary. I have a Nikon 4000ED but I can't find any way to make it accept
the small x-rays and it can't accept the larger ones so I think a flat bed
would be best.

If you don't have a recommendation on a specific scanner then I would like
to know what kind of resolution would I need to look for when scanning x-
ray film.

Thanx, Dave.
2 answers Last reply
More about need recommendation dental scanner

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:56:55 GMT in alt.comp.periphs.scanner, Dave
    Satchell <david.satchell@REMOVECAPSaustincs.com> wrote:

    >I have a dental office that wants me to scan their dental xrays so that
    >they can be emailed.
    >
    >I would really appreciate any recommendations on a scanner that can do
    >this. They have two films they are useing (1) pana @ ~126mm x ~280mm and
    >(2) ~32mm x ~42mm.
    >
    >The second smaller one is sometimes held in a black plastic carrier(?) that
    >holds around 15. They are also sometimes held in a clear plastic sheet with
    >pockets that is about the same size as (1).
    >
    >Both are your standard xray transparency film so a backlight would be
    >necessary. I have a Nikon 4000ED but I can't find any way to make it accept
    >the small x-rays and it can't accept the larger ones so I think a flat bed
    >would be best.
    >
    >If you don't have a recommendation on a specific scanner then I would like
    >to know what kind of resolution would I need to look for when scanning x-
    >ray film.

    Look at Microtek ScanMaker i900 or ArtixScan 1800f

    Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address use address above to reply
  2. HP Scanjet G4050

    It has a transparency scanner lid adapter included.

    Settings:

    Millions of colors
    Scan slides
    100% scale
    300dpi

    It may have difficulty with some of the holders that dental xray slides are held in, but, xrays themselves come out just as nice as with $1700 transparency scanners.

    Good Luck

    The J3 Group, Inc

Scanners Office Peripherals