Closed

Nikon Coolscan II

I have a Nikon Coolscan II ( internal slide scanner ).
I am trying to set it up with a Adaptec AVA2904 SCSI card and Windows XP
Home.
I am having lots of problems. How do I do it ????
4 answers Last reply
More about nikon coolscan

    <k.drury@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Nikon Coolscan II ( internal slide scanner ).
    > I am trying to set it up with a Adaptec AVA2904 SCSI card and Windows XP
    > Home.
    > I am having lots of problems. How do I do it ????

    First thing to search for would be the correct XP SCSI drivers for the card.
    Only when the card is detected correctly will the scanner be detected.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    <k.drury@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Nikon Coolscan II ( internal slide scanner ).
    > I am trying to set it up with a Adaptec AVA2904 SCSI card and Windows XP
    > Home.
    > I am having lots of problems. How do I do it ????

    What problems? Details.

    Install the card in a PCI slot in the computer. (With the computer unplugged
    from power! )

    The driver for the AVA-2906 is imbedded within the Windows XP Operating
    System and Windows XP, should automatically detect the AVA-2906 after it has
    been installed in the computer and Windows XP should properly install driver
    for the Adaptec SCSI card.

    The SCSI Card description in Device Manager for the controller will be
    displayed as an AIC-7850, which is the chipset that is used on of the
    controller.

    Windows XP requires ASPI from Adaptec to be installed for SCSI scanners.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300674

    Aspi package:
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

    Nikon support Coolscan II LS 20:
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_options&cat=1&grp=2&productNr=9191

    Software downloads.
    Click:
    Current Versions of Nikon Software

    Scroll down to near the bottom of page to:
    NIKON SCAN
    For control of SCSI Nikon film Scanners

    Download the version for windows. (This is the TWAIN driver). You will need
    some TWAIN capable Photo Editor such as Irfanview (free) or Photoshop
    Elements 2.0.

    The TWAIN driver is found on the File menu. Most editors have a Select TWAIN
    source, then a Acquire menu item.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    I am using an Adaptec AHA-2940UW PCI SCSI controller. If the scanner is connected properly it will appear in the Apaptec screen in the boot sequence. I had a problem at first when the cable was not seated properly.

    I used the self-extracting ASPI driver in the self extracting aspi_47a2.exe. There is an install.bat file which I ran with a 'XP32' parameter. I used ASPICHK to verify the ASPI layer was working OK.

    The Nikon link no longer works, but I found an LS30_2000 driver (scan3_driver.zip) and extracted it. I forced the 'Install new hardware' to use LS2000 from the WINXP folder as it refused to pick up a driver automatically.

    I had two self-extracting files left over from my Win98 installation - NSW95nt163_d1.exe and NSW95nt163_d2.exe. These were the files on the original 3.5" floppies. When extracted I ran Setup which installed the Nikon TWAIN driver and the scanner utility.

    Martin
    www.imlink.co.uk
  4. This topic has been closed by Fihart

Scanners Nikon Coolscan Peripherals