Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I only install Win7 OEM once?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 12, 2011 9:05:08 PM

Hi people,

I just found out if I buy Win7 OEM that I can only install it once. People have told me that it will lock into the motherboard I have. If my mobo somehow dies, or I want to change it, I would have to buy a new version of Win7, right?

If I buy this kind of Windows 7, can I install it again or reinstall it?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DHGMK0/ref=s9_simh...

More about : install win7 oem

a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:07:03 PM

yes you can!
June 12, 2011 9:08:16 PM

How many times, would I be able to install it on 2 computers?
Related resources
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:11:10 PM

It is for 1 computer at a time,but if you uninstall from 1 computer you can put it on a new computer!
June 12, 2011 9:15:18 PM

Thanks dude, one more thing, can you help me find this for half the price on ebay or somewhere else?
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:23:04 PM

My understanding is that in terms of the license for an OEM version of Windows the license is good for one computer and that computer alone. An OEM license is what system builders use and normally when the computer dies the license is supposed to die with it. When the OEM is installed it marries into the hardware configuration and produces a number particular to the specific computer in question. For a license that can be moved from one machine to another the normal practice is to purchase a full retail copy of Windows which can be transferred as long as it is only installed on one PC at any given time. However MS does accommodate the fact that PC's are upgraded or receive different motherboards under warranty on occasion. They also seem to make some allowances for the home enthusiast who is constantly upgrading or modifying their hardware. However if the OEM number is constantly appearing for authentication to many times over a short period of time MS may start to pay more attention to it. Best practice is when you sell off old hardware sell the license that came with that hardware and buy a new license for your new Rig. That is the way to keep on top of things and to make sure you don't find your license key in the MS book of darkness!
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:26:40 PM

Buy the win 7 upgrade media and do the full install with the help from link above.It is easy to do!

a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:35:58 PM

It doesn't look that easy to do to be honest. Fiddling with an upgrade version is not as desirable as being able to just put the OS on without having to deal with fiddly license requirements. I recommend putting on an OEM version and when you get a new system in the future sell the OEM with your old hardware and recover your costs that way. I sell my old motherboard CPU and RAM with the OEM and I simply include the cost of the OEM license in the sale price. Then I simply buy a new OEM. Quick clean and legal. If you buy an upgrade version and you run into licensing issues or cant get around the need for a previous OS install such as XP then your money has gone for no good purpose. If you want to sell said Upgrade Version later you will have to provide the XP or Vista license you relied upon to use the Upgrade version creating extra dramas. Also the buyer would be less likely to desire an Upgrade version making it harder to sell. By using the OEM option you also get to keep your previous OS such as XP which may be of use at some point.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:37:55 PM

It is easy, and that is the only media for seven i have bought.
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2011 9:40:53 PM

ignore what other people tell you on this

you can install it as many times as you like BUT

you can only activate one copy per license key you have unless you have a family or corporet one that allows multiple computers per key

nearly all windows install disks are the same, if i remove the .cfg file from my disk and reburn it i can install

basic,home,preimium or ultimate from that disk (x64)
i cant install the 32 bit versions but i cant activate them becasue i only have a key for windows 7 proffesional x64
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:44:46 PM

It is for 1 computer at a time,but if you uninstall from 1 computer you can put it on a new computer
June 12, 2011 9:47:56 PM

I want to get the OEM version for now. Say something bad happens or I want to upgrade, can't I just call Microsoft and they can give me a new key?
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:50:53 PM

You will have to purchase it!
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:55:53 PM

If you replace a faulty part or you are upgrading the OEM version will work for you. At worst you will have to ring MS to get it authenticated if it does not authenticate over the Net but as I said as long as your requests are not being sent on a weekly basis MS licensing will accommodate you. I have done it on various occasions without issue. It is only when your key starts appearing on multiple systems that MS will get twitchy. If you are gutting your Rig and replacing it with a whole new set of internals then sell the OEM with the old kit and use that to pay for a new OEM.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:56:07 PM

You will be fine with the OEM , buy it!
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 9:59:10 PM

shanky887614 said:
ignore what other people tell you on this

you can install it as many times as you like BUT

you can only activate one copy per license key you have unless you have a family or corporet one that allows multiple computers per key

nearly all windows install disks are the same, if i remove the .cfg file from my disk and reburn it i can install

basic,home,preimium or ultimate from that disk (x64)
i cant install the 32 bit versions but i cant activate them becasue i only have a key for windows 7 proffesional x64

Not true. An OEM has specific licensing requirements that means the OEM is licensed for one computer. There are however certain accommodations that MS has taken into account as I have described. To be able to legally transfer a license at whim under any circumstance the user needs the full retail version. You can install the OEM as many times as you like as long as it is the computer the OEM license is married too. Piecemeal upgrades will be no problems and full upgrades are accommodated by selling the old OEM with the old hardware.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 10:01:55 PM

I never said he could put it on another computer,in fact i told him above he would have to purchase again,and i said 1 key = 1 computer.
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 10:09:09 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I never said he could put it on another computer,in fact i told him above he would have to purchase again,and i said 1 key = 1 computer.

The person I quoted was Shanky887614 not you. :-)
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 10:10:12 PM

Oh ok sorry Wamphryi
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 10:12:32 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Oh ok sorry Wamphryi

No worries Dude.
June 12, 2011 11:17:17 PM

Why the F does Microsoft have to make this so confusing and irritating?

If I buy the Win7 retail version, will I be able to reinstall it on a different mobo if my current one dies?

Best solution

a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 11:18:12 PM

The final answer is yes!
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 11:18:50 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware!
June 12, 2011 11:20:20 PM

Best answer selected by kamuran55.
June 12, 2011 11:21:03 PM

Okay, this is what I'm going to do. I'm going to just buy the retail more expensive one so I don't have to worry about any troubleshooting from the Indians(Microsoft).

I install it on one computer, and if my mobo dies, or I want to get a new mobo, I can install it again. That's good because I won't get completely screwed over.
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 11:22:14 PM

Your Doing the right thing!

Thanks for using the forum!
June 12, 2011 11:25:50 PM

Thanks a lot dude, now all I need to find out is if all of my parts are good or if there is any cheaper/alternatives.

Can you check my PC topic?
a c 371 $ Windows 7
a c 642 V Motherboard
June 12, 2011 11:35:10 PM

yes!
!