Sign in with
Your question

Picking the Core to run apps on, forgot command.

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Apps
  • Command Prompt
Last response: in CPUs
November 11, 2006 6:33:36 PM

Well i was just wondering i googled it but couldnt find it.

When you open a shortcut, you add -A01 or somthing like that to pick what core to run a app on or game just wondering what the command for Core1 and Core 2 is.

Thanks for any help.

More about : picking core run apps forgot command

November 12, 2006 12:04:14 AM

You'll need Process.exe. A link for it, plus instructions can be found here.
November 12, 2006 10:31:26 AM

Thanks man
Related resources
November 12, 2006 1:42:48 PM

Quote:

When you open a shortcut, you add -A01 or somthing like that to pick what core to run a app on or game just wondering what the command for Core1 and Core 2 is.

Thanks for any help.

One way to do it is to start the game, ALT-TAB to the desktop, open Task Manager, right click on the process name and select set affinity.
November 12, 2006 2:05:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for any help.

Just out of interest, why would you do that? The OS will split threads over different cores if you don't force affinity, gving you better performance than forcing it all onto one core.
November 12, 2006 2:22:21 PM

Probably becuase not all games support it and some that dont will crash. Hell the unreal engine for example if i try to run with out setting it to one cpu it crashs all the damn time. Wish they would fix that.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Win2000_Launcher_d438.html

this is the program i use. It allows you to do more then simply select the cpu but thats all i use it for.
November 13, 2006 9:13:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks for any help.

One way to do it is to start the game, ALT-TAB to the desktop, open Task Manager, right click on the process name and select set affinity.

Man u rule thats way easy!
Thanks
November 13, 2006 9:15:14 PM

Reason i wanted to specify is i thought maybe running WOW and winamp on different cores would make the game run better sense it isnt dual core game anywho...or is the comp smart enough to do that.
November 13, 2006 9:44:43 PM

If thats the only reason then no it would be better to just let windows determin how threading should be handled.
November 13, 2006 9:47:56 PM

You're better off letting the OS split the load between winamp and WoW. It'll give better performance since they'll both share part of the two cores. Unless the game specifically requires it to be run on a single core, I recommend you leave that stuff alone.
November 13, 2006 9:51:43 PM

Quote:
Reason i wanted to specify is i thought maybe running WOW and winamp on different cores would make the game run better sense it isnt dual core game anywho...or is the comp smart enough to do that.

The OS should automatically load-balance across cores so they would end up running on different cores anyway, so leave it to the OS.

It was a good point earlier though about games that crash on multiple-core systems. Thats probably the only conventional reason to force affinity, unless you're running a server farm or something.

I can't imagine what the game code could be doing to cause it to require single core though. it must be relying on cache-misses or something. I'm an experienced software developer and couldn't even guess how you could write code to screw up like that even if you wanted to. Its probably more down to the compiler than the programmers code.
!