65Hz or 75Hz LCD Monitor

dochev_

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Can you tell me is there a difference if I put my LCD (Philips 190P7ES same LCD P-MVA panel such as Belinea 101920 and 1980 S1) on 65Hz or 75hz.Which is better?
Thank you !

P.S.Excuse me for my bad English :)

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Just leave it alone. Even if you leave it at 60 the FPS wont be matched unless you specified on the GPU drivers or game your playing.

P.S. On a side note, i did not know that lcd refresh rate does not matter, and that you can turn it off. Is there any benefict to turning it off?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
AFAIK, the driver refresh rate setting (for LCDs) is soley to inform windows that theres actually a display connected to the gpu, that it can make use of... the refresh rate serves no other purpose in this instance (unlike with CRTs which are dependant on refresh rates to actually function, and probably where the dependancy on refresh rates started... ...windows needs an update there it sounds like, lol)

now, that could be incorrect about windows dependency on refresh rates... but IIRC from something i read awhile back, i think thats pretty much what was said.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
yeah, that sounds about right... ...as long as crts are still widely in use (i only own crts myself, so, yeah)... its like, without a refresh rate being sent out via analog, you would get no signal on the screen im sure, would be 'out of frequency range'... or 'check monitor signal', or something similar anyhow... but, lcds would function just fine even still, lol

phly95

Reputable
May 30, 2017
I know this is from 2006, but the fact that refresh rates don't matter is pretty shortsighted. The higher the refresh rate, the higher potential FPS pushed to your monitor can be. 30hz on an LCD would look choppy compared to 60hz, even though flicker is absent. Though honestly, adaptive refresh should be the way to go, in fact, I wonder if it would be possible to remove refresh rate all together and just change individual pixels as new information comes in, so a 24fps movie on one side of the screen gets the same consistency in timing as a 60fps video on the other side. We might need new cables again though (yet again).