Need Help OCing E6400 (Allendale)

k03n

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Hi I read the guide and i oced my cpu to 2667.6mhz. I cant seem to go any higher, i have increase the FSB but windows fails to boot, but i can see that i have hit 3.2ghz.

I have the following hardware

Asus- PW5 DH Deluxe
Intel C2D- E6400 (Allendale)
OCZ- OCZ2P800R21G (x2)
Arctic Termal Freezer pro 7 (or what ever its called)

here are some screen shots before the overclock:

mycpuow5.jpg

speedfanrf9.jpg

*the AUX is actually 4C

After the overclock

aftercpull0.jpg

afterhm0.jpg

Whats the highest speed i can hit and be stable?

What other cooling would you recommend? (I have 3 120mm fans in my case, the main 2 run at a situated near the cpu / gfx card)

RustyTinMan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
I will be interested to see how you get on with this as I am in the process of building the exact same system, only I have a TT Big Water 735 water cooler.
Any info would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first attempt at overclocking.

k03n

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
F1N3ST

First try upping the voltage, then buy a better cooler, Freezer 7 Pro, is at the bottom of the OC coolers.

Thanks for the input. i will try it out when i get the chance.

What cooler would you recommend?

RustyTinMan

I will be interested to see how you get on with this as I am in the process of building the exact same system, only I have a TT Big Water 735 water cooler.
Any info would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first attempt at overclocking.

Ill keep you updated, how hard is it to install water cooling? this is my first build and im having some issues with onboard hardware (front usbs/1394 dont work) hopefully ill find out whats going on with them.

yas

What abou thte ram have you tried increasing the vDIMM yet??

rwaritsdario

vCORE 1.4v and feed the vMCH with some mighty voltages.

Ill try both as soon as i improve cooling (slightly paranoid atm)

F1N3ST

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
"Always" No. The new one is 1100, vs 1000 of the old one. There is something changed, so you don't know what your talking about.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
You will need to manually set all the settings you can. If you read the OC guilde posted by Wusy this would allready be done. The reason your pc wont boot is probably because the vCore is not high enough. You probably have it set to auto? Go back to Wusy's guide, and make sure you have set all the settings like he says to. Once you have done that and you still bacnt boot, try increasing your vCore in .025 intervals. Till you can boot. For example set your vcore to 1.35. Once you can boot or the system becomres unstable try increasing the vCore to 1.375. And continue to do that till you pc is stable, then start rasing the FSB again. Dont go over 1.5 vCore. And dont let the cpu get over 60c.

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
since when is the freezer 7 pro a bad oc hsf? I have it and it works great. Can you provide an article or something showing how its at the bottom of the ocing heatsinks?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
"Always" No. The new one is 1100, vs 1000 of the old one. There is something changed, so you don't know what your talking about.
I didnt have to go farther than the Scythe page to prove you wrong:
Original Ninja SCNJ-1000 6 heatpipes
Ninja Plus SCNJ-1000P 6 heatpipes
Ninja Plus Rev.B SCNJ-1100P 6 heatpipes
Same heatsink design in ALL of them, the first Plus added a 120mm fan and the revision B (SCNJ-1100P) added a AM2 bracket.
I knew the Ninja design hadn't change but I wanted you to realize that instead of coming of so prepotent and baseless.

k03n

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
You will need to manually set all the settings you can. If you read the OC guilde posted by Wusy this would allready be done. The reason your pc wont boot is probably because the vCore is not high enough. You probably have it set to auto? Go back to Wusy's guide, and make sure you have set all the settings like he says to. Once you have done that and you still bacnt boot, try increasing your vCore in .025 intervals. Till you can boot. For example set your vcore to 1.35. Once you can boot or the system becomres unstable try increasing the vCore to 1.375. And continue to do that till you pc is stable, then start rasing the FSB again. Dont go over 1.5 vCore. And dont let the cpu get over 60c.

I have the same case as you....i cant seem to get the front i/o to work and advice?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

I have the same system to K03N, identical in every way. The cooler is Arctic Pro7, the chip a 6400 on P5W DH, the memory exactly the same. My 6400 is running 100% stable at 3.2 Ghz with the memory 1:1 at 800. Vcore is upped to 1.425 volts, memory is 2.1 volts, everything else is STOCK ("Auto") voltages. The overclock was done according to Wusy's guide, that is all "enhancements" are disabled. Oh and max temp under heavy load is 60 degrees in Coretemp on one core, 58 on the other (a consistent difference), 47 degrees on the Asus MB monitor. Whoever said the Actic Cooling Pro 7 is inadequate for this enterprise is talking complete crap.

ScotzAl

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
For my overclock on a 6400, with a P5B Dlx, 3.4 was easy. I use a Aquagate Mini R120 cooler. Voltage is 1.425 in BIOS. No change to NB or SB voltages (auto). It runs very reliably at this speed. Doing 12 hours of P95 on both CPU's with no errors. And to top it off, it is very quiet. The radiator is fed by two 12cm silent fans running @ 800rpm. Temp using Intels TAT is 48 deg C idle and 64 when maxed out for a while.

One thing I did notice with my Mobo was that if you leave it on auto voltage for CPU it auto ups the voltage, in my case at 425Mhz it was doing 1.575 and when doing P95it was overtemping big time ie. the thermal controller was kicking in. Once I realised what was going on, I got the volts down and now its well within my acceptable tolerance, albeit slightly over Intels.

Memory is important, as I found out. I bought some cheap 6400 Samsung CAS5 stuff, which infact is ok, but it is preventing me getting more overclock. I reckon my setup with faster RAM would be good for 3.6 or 3.7. The RAM will do around 435 before it stops booting but over 430 it takes lots of hits on P95.

All in all, I cant complain :)

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
For my overclock on a 6400, with a P5B Dlx, 3.4 was easy.

It's worth noting that the P5W DH with a 975 chipset has a hard limit at a 1600 (400) FSB, any higher and it generates errors or won't even boot. This limit sets a 6400 at 3.2 Ghz. It'sa hurdle which requires upping the chipset voltage and putting extra cooling on the Northbridge. (This can be seen in the results at overclocking forums) The P5B with a 965 and the automatically changing internal multipliers used by Asus doesn't have this limit and the CPU can be pushed harder. This is why the P5B DlX is considered better for the cheaper C2Ds and the P5W DH better for the already higher-clocked 6600 to 6800.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
This is why the P5B DlX is considered better for the cheaper C2Ds and the P5W DH better for the already higher-clocked 6600 to 6800.
Not if you want to reach the kind of FSB you would reach with a 2MB C2D :D

I don't understand what you mean. Since the P5W DH doesn't clock as high it can't stretch the capabilities of the 6300 and 6400. The 6600 to 6800 are already a higher speed thus the FSB doesn't have to go as high.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Thats because you are setting the same goal for all C2D. But for example, if I could get my hands on a E6600, I would do everything thats in my power to run it at 4+Ghz 24/7 stable :twisted: