computer won't start

xJedix

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I have a computer that got bumped and it won't start at all. It doesn't make any noises or turn on any lights when the power is plugged in or when you press the power button.

I did some testing. I tried the computer with a different psu that I know works. When I flip the power switch on the psu from on to off, it will make a noise like its de-powering. But when I try pressing the power button, nothing happens.

I removed and re-inserted the ram. And checked to make sure it looked fine but I don't think ram would cause a system to not do anything. If it was a problem with the ram, I would assume that it would boot up to the bios and say there was an error.

I looked over everything and nothing looks physically wrong with any of the components.

Is there anything else I could try? or what do you think is wrong? I am kind of starting to think there is a problem with the mobo... but I'm not sure. Is there a way to check for sure?

Thanks, xJedix

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Apparently when you bumped it, you created a short somewhere. I suggest you take the computer apart, everything off the box and try it. If it is working put everything back in, one at a time and try it. That should fix your problem. Remember to unplug EVERYTHING and take it out of the box. Even a bent molex connector could be the culprit.

Good luck my friend.

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Also check your SATA cables if you have them; they can work themselves out of their connectors very eaily and that's been known to hang a system.

TRENDING THREADS