Can I connect SCSI scanner to USB port with adapter

I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been using
on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.

I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
to a USB port on this new machine.

This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they may
well be needed for other devices.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

VG
22 answers Last reply
More about connect scsi scanner port adapter

    There is no such thing as a SCSI to USB adapter.

    --
    DaveW

    "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been using
    > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
    >
    > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
    > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
    > to a USB port on this new machine.
    >
    > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
    > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
    > may
    > well be needed for other devices.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be most welcome
    >
    > VG

    There are PCI SCSI cards that will work with the Canon FS2710

    If you are not going to buy a USB film scanner to replace the FS2710, then
    you will have to use one of the PCI slots.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > There is no such thing as a SCSI to USB adapter.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
    using
    > > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
    > >
    > > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
    > > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
    scanner
    > > to a USB port on this new machine.
    > >
    > > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
    > > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
    > > may
    > > well be needed for other devices.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be most welcome
    > >
    > > VG

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
    using
    > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
    >
    > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
    > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
    > to a USB port on this new machine.
    >
    > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
    > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
    may
    > well be needed for other devices.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be most welcome
    >
    > VG

    Adaptec USBXchange
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:30:20 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> had a
    flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >There is no such thing as a SCSI to USB adapter.

    Then this doesn't exist?
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=USB2Xchange&cat=%2fTechnology%2fUSB%2fUSB-to-SCSI+Adapters

    Stephen

    --
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon

    VG

    "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
    > using
    >> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
    >>
    >> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
    >> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
    >> scanner
    >> to a USB port on this new machine.
    >>
    >> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
    >> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
    > may
    >> well be needed for other devices.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be most welcome
    >>
    >> VG
    >>

    > Adaptec USBXchange

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    > Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
    > Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon
    >
    > VG
    >

    > "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > > "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
    > > using
    > >> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
    > >>
    > >> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
    > >> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
    > >> scanner
    > >> to a USB port on this new machine.
    > >>
    > >> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
    > >> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as
    they
    > > may
    > >> well be needed for other devices.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions would be most welcome
    > >>
    > >> VG
    > >>

    > > Adaptec USBXchange

    Post back how you like it. I have a MATX M/B and may want to go that route
    in the future. Adaptec is a little pricey but make excellent hardware.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    > "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
    >> Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon
    >>
    >> VG
    >>

    >> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> > using

    > they
    >> > may

    >> > Adaptec USBXchange
    >> >

    > Post back how you like it. I have a MATX M/B and may want to go that route
    > in the future. Adaptec is a little pricey but make excellent hardware.

    Yes. Please do post back. I wonder if it would enable me to connect my old
    HP Scanjet 4C to my new PC.
    Gord Schindler
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon

    I had a look at the adaptec site for 'USB2Xchange' .I note they mention SCSI
    peripherals, but don't mention scanners explicitly. I can understand that a
    disk / tape device can be converted to USB using a miniport SCSI driver:
    these appear to Windows as a removable device. TWAIN data sources are often
    another issue.

    Has anyone actually got a scsi scanner working with its standard installed
    TWAIN data source with one of these?

    Stewart DIBBS
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Did you check the FAQ for that thing?
    http://ask.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=ynlgS9Ih&p_lva=&p_faqid=7887&p_created=1053264730&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTExJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xMDAmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9MjEwJnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

    "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Yes. Thanks for your suggestion.
    > Found Adaptec 'USB2Xchange' and ordered from Amazon
    >
    > VG
    >

    > "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
    >> using
    >>> on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
    >>>
    >>> I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
    >>> conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
    >>> scanner
    >>> to a USB port on this new machine.
    >>>
    >>> This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
    >>> slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
    >> may
    >>> well be needed for other devices.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions would be most welcome
    >>>
    >>> VG
    >>>

    >> Adaptec USBXchange

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    d8njgn$3cq$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    >I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been using
    > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
    >
    > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
    > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the scanner
    > to a USB port on this new machine.
    >
    > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
    > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
    > may
    > well be needed for other devices.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be most welcome
    >
    > VG

    I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
    via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
    It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
    and twain applications.

    Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI disk
    or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).

    But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
    drivers and utilities for Win XP ...

    So good luck for your case.
    Castor
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "Castor" <castor2cod1@~hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > d8njgn$3cq$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > >I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
    using
    > > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
    > >
    > > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
    > > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
    scanner
    > > to a USB port on this new machine.
    > >
    > > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
    > > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as they
    > > may
    > > well be needed for other devices.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be most welcome
    > >
    > > VG
    > >
    > I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
    > via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
    > It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
    > and twain applications.
    >
    > Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI
    disk
    > or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
    >
    > But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
    > drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
    >
    > So good luck for your case.
    > Castor

    You can most likely find the latest driver here:
    http://www.support.microtek.com/

    There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    >> I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
    >> via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
    >> It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
    >> and twain applications.
    >>
    >> Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI
    > disk
    >> or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
    >>
    >> But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
    >> drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
    >>
    >> So good luck for your case.
    >> Castor

    > You can most likely find the latest driver here:
    > http://www.support.microtek.com/
    >
    > There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Thanks for your attention , I'll check
    Regards
    Castor
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    GcIse.1986$Nz2.110@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
    > "Castor" <castor2cod1@~hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> d8njgn$3cq$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    >> >I have a SCSI Canon FS2710 slide scanner which I have previously been
    > using
    >> > on my old pc, connected via a PCI SCSI card.
    >> >
    >> > I now have a new pc, and am wondering if there is such a thing as a
    >> > conversion kit or special cable that will enable me to connect the
    > scanner
    >> > to a USB port on this new machine.
    >> >
    >> > This new machine is a P4 3.2GH, and comes with only three PCI expansion
    >> > slots. I am reluctant to use one of these slots for a SCSI card, as
    >> > they
    >> > may
    >> > well be needed for other devices.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions would be most welcome
    >> >
    >> > VG
    >> >
    >> I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800 SCSI
    >> via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
    >> It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner drivers
    >> and twain applications.
    >>
    >> Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI
    > disk
    >> or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
    >>
    >> But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have proper
    >> drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
    >>
    >> So good luck for your case.
    >> Castor
    >>

    > You can most likely find the latest driver here:
    > http://www.support.microtek.com/

    Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
    Castor

    > There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > GcIse.1986$Nz2.110@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
    >> "Castor" <castor2cod1@~hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "VG" <vivanonym.gridley@btinternet.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >>> d8njgn$3cq$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    >> using

    >> scanner

    >>> I was able to connect an old Flat Scanner model Microtek Phantom4800
    >>> SCSI
    >>> via a USB1.1 to SCSI converter from PortGear.
    >>> It was working perfectly under WindowsMe with the current scanner
    >>> drivers
    >>> and twain applications.
    >>>
    >>> Now under windows XPproSP2, hardware wise it's still working (for SCSI
    >> disk
    >>> or removavable SCSI disk it works fine).
    >>>
    >>> But, I'm getting problems with my old scanner because I don't have
    >>> proper
    >>> drivers and utilities for Win XP ...
    >>>
    >>> So good luck for your case.
    >>> Castor
    >>>

    >> You can most likely find the latest driver here:
    >> http://www.support.microtek.com/
    >>
    > Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
    > Castor

    It still works for me, try it again. This is a USA link, I do not know if it
    works for the rest of the world. It is a link to support and not directly to
    a specific scanner model.

    This is the international gateway to Microtek.
    http://www.microtek.com/

    Select your region, then Support and Downloads.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    >> There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.
    >>
    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    >>> You can most likely find the latest driver here:
    >>> http://www.support.microtek.com/
    >>>
    >> Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
    >> Castor
    >
    > It still works for me, try it again. This is a USA link, I do not know if
    > it works for the rest of the world. It is a link to support and not
    > directly to a specific scanner model.
    >
    > This is the international gateway to Microtek.
    > http://www.microtek.com/
    >
    > Select your region, then Support and Downloads.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --
    >>
    >>> There is a new XP driver for ScanMaker 4800, maybe that is your model.

    BTW, my scanner is a Microtek Phantom 4800 ... I think it's a different
    model than ScanMaker 4800 ???? Older ??
    Castor
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    >>> Unfortunately this link no longer works ...
    >>> Castor
    >>
    >> It still works for me, try it again. This is a USA link, I do not know if
    >> it works for the rest of the world. It is a link to support and not
    >> directly to a specific scanner model.
    >>
    >> This is the international gateway to Microtek.
    >> http://www.microtek.com/
    >>
    >> Select your region, then Support and Downloads.
    >>
    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --

    > BTW, my scanner is a Microtek Phantom 4800 ... I think it's a different
    > model than ScanMaker 4800 ???? Older ??
    > Castor

    This is the link to Microtek Taiwan Driver downloads (English site), No
    Windows XP, but there is Windows 9x/ME/NT. Windows XP is a version of NT.
    http://202.39.72.2/Mii/Web/driver_download.php

    They list 6 Phantom scanners, none are listed as 4800. They list 330, 336,
    and C6.

    The Microtek Europe site seems to be down.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    "I wonder if it would enable me to connect my old
    HP Scanjet 4C to my new PC.?"
    Gord Schindler

    Well Gord here is the definitive answer you were looking for back then.

    How to Connect a (SCSI) HP Scanjet 3c/4c/6300c through the USB port by using a Adaptec USBXChange/USB2XChange USB-to SCSI adapter. (on WINXP)
    It was very difficult to find the information that solved my problem despite numerous sites , HP support included, claiming the connection could not possibly work for the older SCSI scanners. It was ironic to find that the software that solves the problem is freely download able on the same HP support site.
    The explanation was in German
    but with a simple web translator (Firefox 2.006 Translator add-on) I was able to understand how the above interaction is not only possible but by using the suggested HP PrecisionScan Pro software/driver for SCSI and USB ver 2.03 (sj675en.exe) Which was originally intended for the ScanJet 6300c_cse/cxi/6350c/cse/cxi/6390c family of USB scanners. I ended up with a SCSI Scanjet 3c with superior functionality (USB 2.0 connectivity via the Adaptec USBXChange/USB2XChange
    SCSI-to-USB adapter) and numerous additional scanning possibilities and controls due to the vastly superior PrecisionScan pro software.
    In my case other devices in the SCSI chain had to be switched off to allow the scanner to function but since it is now USB Hot-pluggable this is a minor inconvenience.

    Step by step guide:
    1. Buy the USB2XChange Adaptec SCSI-to-USB adapter
    2. Follow setup instructions on the pamphlet(Basically connect scanner(and any other scsi devices) to USB2XChange and Switch on SCSI devices > Connect USB2XChange to USB port> install drivers> reboot> install PrecisionScan pro software> Reboot)
    3. Scan using your old (SCSI) HP Scanjet 3c/4c/6300c like you’ve never scanned before.

    Ref. (http://74.6.146.244/babelfish/translate_url_content?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a% 2f%2fde.nntp2http.com%2fcomp%2fhardware%2fscanner%2f2004%2f10%2f0b15bdd3661edd3e 06b92ce80e1a92b3.html )
  18. If you still have a need, here's one....

    http://www.usb-ware.com/usb-scsi-adapter-u2scx.htm
  19. I recently decided to go laptop.

    I have an epson gt7000 scsi flatbed and negative adapter, and a minolta scandual.

    I could not find a usb2xchange, but founf a guy with 11 new usbxchange units ( just thesame but usb1 not 2 and who cares when scanning). I It has a facitly to plug in a 5v supply so you don't kill the usb liones in the laptop or you can use a powered hub.

    The software for both scanners does not support xp let alone vista and neither does the usbxchange,.

    however usbxchange works fine with xp and vista so i bought ed hamricks vue can, it supports hundreds of flatbed and film scanners and is a great little prog at around $40 once you get used to it, it is not twain based and there is a pro version for aroind $70 have a look on his site.

    My usbxchange cost me £25 about $40 , and it all works fine on my laptop with vista.

    will be trying it soon on win 7.

    dave
  20. iscaisca said:
    My usbxchange cost me £25 about $40 , and it all works fine on my laptop with vista.

    will be trying it soon on win 7.

    dave

    Hi Dave,

    Any luck? I have one but it's not on the Windows 7 Hardware compatility list, so I'm hesitating about upgrading to the new Windows.
  21. I am trying to do the same thing you did, with a Scanjet 3c and an Adaptec USBXchange on a decent laptop running Vista Ultimate. I tried what you said, and it appears that the USBXchange device is working, but I can't get the scanner to work. It comes up FINDING the right scanner part number (HP C2520A) but when it asks me to load the drivers, it doesn't seem to accept anywhere I point it. Do you know what the exact scanjet driver file names are? I have had some success using drivers designed for XP on Vista.

    Thanks for posting this, by the way. I hope I can get it working.

    Rank_Amecha said:
[...]

  22. I recently upgraded xp to windows 7. I have Adaptec SCSI 2930 and was able to download a driver from Adaptec for the SCSI card. It installed properly with no problem. However, there is no driver for HP Scanjet 4c. I'll look around to see if PrecisionScan Pro or some other driver would work.

    Larry

Scanners SCSI Connection Peripherals Product