COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro

...forget the Enermax Galaxy 1000watt :)
8O 8O 6 x 12vrail@18amps each 8O 8O

108amps ladies and gents. Not to mention the effciency is typically over 85%

I think it will be pretty quiet too because it has a 135mm fan.

What do you guys think about this new psu?

Especially you mpilchfamily :)

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Hope it fairs better than its predecessors. Even the 550W in a roundup, was the only one to cause problems on the line and had one of the biggest dropouts on the voltages. So it looked good on the papers, but almost sucked in real life. Try to get some reviews on it first before you buy.
Hope it turns out well.
:)

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Dude, I'm a poor college student, living with my girlfriend 2 states away from my parents (who hate me and never even call me, let alone offer any support)....nothing more...I barely get by as it is and I plan on purchasing my entire system on plastic because I don't have the cash to fork over all at once. I have school to pay for next semester....taxes to prepare for...and I'm currently spending money to modify my computer case in order my mind off of stress, taking the gamble that I will get by in the end.

I just hope I don't screw up my credit for life :)

Modding, My gf, World of Warcraft, and dreaming about my new computer are the only things keeping me happy.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
LOL, I'll get by... 108amps just seems intense...perhaps too intense...

I've been reading more about Powersupplies because even though I have a high understanding I feel I could always learn more. Current psu's main weakness right now apparently is the aug of cable using on higher end psu's to carry power from the powersupply to the rest of the system.

Pc power and cooling leads the pack because they use 14aug cables to carry the 750watt+ psus (all of them)
Silverstone in second AFAIK with 16 aug cables (in the 850zeus)

I don't know much about the other companies but I certainly would like to know what Enermax is using on the Galaxy models. I would like to know what Tagan is using on the Turbojet/Nanopoint models I would like to see what Thermaltake is using on 850toughpower, and I would like to know what grade of cable is being used on that CoolerMaster model.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I'm liking the looks of the Thermaltake. Seems better to have quad rails (2 of which are beefed up to 30A) than to have six rails carrying 18A each.

Four real PCI-e power cables will be nice for those 8800 SLIers out there.

As for the sad story, I am in the same boat as you sir. My hardware dreams are just that, dreams.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I'm liking the looks of the Thermaltake. Seems better to have quad rails (2 of which are beefed up to 30A) than to have six rails carrying 18A each.

I learned something earlier today...I think....most psu's dont really have true "Quad+ 12v rails" I have yet to confirm if this information is true so don't flame me, but apparently most psu's are using "virtual rails" where a single or double 12v rail (system?) is then divided into 2 or even 4 rails. So essentially there is only 1 or 2.

Which is why some powersupplies (like the new PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW) use just 1 12v rail with 72amps(78max) of coverage.

Never the less....I wouldn't surfice for anything less than a psu that has 4 12v rails.

So far the only powersupplies that are really sophistocated and noteworthy for using supreme groundbreaking features are the:

Enermax Galaxy 850/1000watt

This uses 3 seperate Transformers to power your rig.
World’s FIRST: RAM POWER CABLE for 32-64GB RAM system support.
World’s FIRST: 2007 EPS12V compliant PSU series for heavy-duty systems.
World’s FIRST: PowerGuard 4 mode PSU status monitor and alarm with reset function.
World’s FIRST: DUAL TIER COMBINED POWER for total separation of CPU(s) from system.
World’s FIRST: COMBINED MINIMUM LOAD design for outstanding compatibility.
World’s FIRST: 80-85% efficiency from 20% to 100% load.
World’s FIRST: TRIPLE QUAD support (Core & CPU & GPU).
World’s FIRST: FIVE +12V RAIL PSU for perfect power distribution.
TRIPLE TRANSFORMER design to provide the utmost in stability and power.
ACTIVE PFC & UNIVERSAL AC In with automatic adjustment
SILENT & COOL by 13.5cm & 8cm dual fan design.
24/7 FULL POWER and TIGHT REGULATION @ 0 - 50oC.
World’s STRONGEST: 6A +5Vsb rail to support 2007 systems and multiple USB devices.
World’s MOST: 24 DRIVES support by native + MODULAR cable design.

and The Nanopoint Tagan 1100watt
This uses 2 seperate transformers to power your rig.
Tagan unveils its flagship product line; the TurboJet Series!! The Turbojet series will consist of two models, 900 watt (TG900-U95) & 1100 watt (TG1100-U95). Both models will incorporate DTT (Dual Transformer Technology), the world’s first PSU to feature dual transformers. DTT ensures additional support for the high inrush current by splitting the current rails, offering greater power and stability to those power hungry components. In addition the PSU becomes more efficient hence the system as a whole becomes cooler and quieter and the lifespan of the components is lengthened. Once again Tagan has taken the steps to patent this latest development as they did with the intelligent 20-24 pin & 4-8pin mainboard connectors.

The Turbojet series features four integrated six pin PCI Express connectors, designed to support NVIDIA’s latest offering, Quad SLI. The quality and stability has already been demonstrated at Cebit with all seven of the NVIDIA Quad SLI launch partners’ demo systems powered by the TG900-U95 throughout the seven days. Tagan was also delighted to support Foxconn with their Quad SLI rig at the show. This is one of the most premiere PSU's on the market right now!

So anything beyond that I'm really not sure about for people planning on powering new Crossfire/Sli rigs. Especially now that I have read a little bit more on the importance of the Aug of cables used in top of the line monsterous power supplies.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
you're putting too much importance on wire gauge.

The typical 12V rail split topology uses low ohm resistors to split a 12V rail (or multiple) into more, 12V rails. That's essentially the same effect you'd get if you use the higher gauge wires, like a *free* split rail design built in.

18 ga. chassis wiring can carry 16A continuous. On 12V rail alone that's 192W, no part consumes that much power and is supplied by only one wire (and complimentary ground).

The wires aren't carrying enoug current per device to be overloaded, the more significant factor is the case form-factor. 85% efficiency is not going to be typical, probably down a tad under 80% in most cases but let's call it 80%, of 850W. That's 213W of heat to remove, a 13cm fan isn't a magic bullet to rectify that situation as there's still a high heat density, and smaller heatsinks due to the larger fan.

Granted, it'd be quite hard to pull 850W continuously, it'd almost have to be a deliberate attempt with peltiers or trying to make a fileserving gaming system with a boatload of HDDs.