German Organization Sues Steam for Game Resale Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I see their point but normally I get the games so cheaply that I dont want to resell my keys. :-/ I like steam but this is a tough spot for some gamers.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I like Steam... but I don't pay full price for games on it - not letting you resell doen't hurt nearly as much when you pay $19.99 for the title.

G

even at full price I don't mind not being able to resell my games.

I never ever ever buy used Pc games as to the serial keys usually are always still being used by the original owner for the multiplayer aspect.

If they didn't use SERIAL keys, then I can see this as an issue.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Even though I don't have the urge to resell my games in general, I'd at least like to have the option.

In general, steam doesn't want it's users competing with steam on the service of selling games. Why would you pay steam's price for a game when another steam user is selling their copy for $5 less?

The ONLY people in the gaming community that are happy about used game sales are consumers. Publishers & distributors like Steam don't like it because they don't get a "cut". If it were up to them, you'd have to pay even just to watch someone else play the game.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
it isnt like steam changed their policy after you bought the games. you knew what you were getting when you bought a game through steam.

dont like it? go buy a physical copy and resell it. no one is forcing you to use steam

bucknutty

Distinguished
My 2 kids share a steam account. I have 1 copy of sonic, and 1 copy of magika. Because I only created 1 account the 6 year old can't play sonic becuase the 8 year old is playing magika. I have since made another account for the younger child but now I must rebuy the games for him. Its not really a big deal for me, but solving challenges like this will help steam get into the living room with thier steam box ideas.

I guess this is sort of contrary to the console direction. You can sell games now, but your friend may have to buy an activation key to play the game on xbox live, or ps network. In the future I have the feeling games will be tied to you xbox "next" ID.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I think out of my 50 games. I've bought 1 at "full price" that was borderlands 2 4 pack pre-release. I'm usually playing $15 or less for games. If I were to be able to "sell" them to others, I could undercut steam by 60% easy. How long do you think that business model would last them?

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

you could very well make one account per game, which would allow for easy sale and allow multiple people to play different games at the same time. you opted out of this option for the sake of convenience for one user.

that was your choice.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Overall I've found that the value of a used game makes it not worth my time to sell it. I can see how some that may power through a game quick and want any cash for the next game can be annoyed though.

I love that last line of the quote "For now, we are continuing to extend the Steam services to gamers in Germany..."
AKA if we were to lose the court case, you simply no longer get Steam.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i dislike the idea of resellign games on steam because i can see people hacking and stealing steam accounts then selling the games, right now you just have to do a password reset and peopel don't really try to hack steam much because ... well other than maybe spamming forums what is the point, allowing resale of games means somebody can hack an accoutn sell the games make the $ and then when you get access to your account your games are gone and you haev nothign to show fo rit, if steam does give you back your games then they are losing money or pissign off the person who bought the game from you for a cheap price

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]i dislike the idea of resellign games on steam because i can see people hacking and stealing steam accounts then selling the games, right now you just have to do a password reset and peopel don't really try to hack steam much because ... well other than maybe spamming forums what is the point, allowing resale of games means somebody can hack an accoutn sell the games make the $ and then when you get access to your account your games are gone and you haev nothign to show fo rit, if steam does give you back your games then they are losing money or pissign off the person who bought the game from you for a cheap price[/citation]

Excellent point on the subject. I saw left for dead on goodwill for 5 buck's and knew I could not use it anyway because the key code would be tied to another account anyway. So what's the point. Steam is convenient and cheap. I don't see what the point is of buying a game, playing it for hours on end, then all the sudden you are so cheap you have to sell it for 5 bucks to recoup your purchase.

songemu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I see it like an all-you-can-eat buffet. You are entitled to as much gameplay as you want, but if you do something like switch seats with a stranger, the restaurant's well within it's rights to kick you out.

Reselling games isn't really a good thing in my opinion. The publisher doesn't get additional money, just places like gamestop. Plus, you're selling an experience. It's like a movie, you can't just resell your ticket stub and let someone else mooch off your initial purchase...

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I am all for this lawsuit. While I like Valve, I do not like this "renting" and not owning the content thing -ever. If I buy CD or DVD I can easily sell that...this should apply here.

This is one of many downsides to Valve and why I try not to buy games from them.

More choice is never a bad thing; I mean seriously why would you NOT want to have this option? If game transfer were allowed the game could easily change the Key upon transfer to the new account (email). Obviously Valve wants to milk what would be re-sellers market.

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
VZBV is trying to do the same thing publishers are: double-dip into the benefits of physical media AND digital distribution. The only difference is the VZBV is doing it from the consumers' side of things. It essentially breaks down like this:

Physical Media: You break it or lose it, you need another copy to play (good for publishers.) You are free to resell it or give/lend it to a friend (good for consumers.)
Digial Distribution: You will always have a copy for yourself, accessible from just about anywhere (good for consumers.) You are not able to resell it or give/lend it to a friend (good for publishers.)

Consumers cannot resell digitally distributed games for the same reason publishers cannot charge for reselling of physical media. You get one benefit from your chosen medium, not both.

So, take your pick, publishers and consumers. Pick which medium offers you the most benefits, and quit trying to have your cake and eat it too.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
it's not like steam sales are a magical thing, independent of valves profits. fact is, valve could not offer the sales it did if they operated under a corporate structure that wasn't able to profit. reselling of digital media would undercut valve extremely.

valve is a good company, when they do well they pass on the benefits to the people that got them there. i have a couple games i got completely for free from valve and a pile of games i got for considerably cheaper than any other avenue has ever been able to offer them for.

you cant have it all.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I'd love to resell my steam "keys" to my buddies when i'm done. I have a list of 300+ games, many of which i'd never play.

Hell, i'd be happy just to gift games i'm finished with. That would be awesome.

However, this is not the right way to approach it. Are the steam users going to get a settlement on behalf of this court case if "we" win? doubt it.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

CD/DVD could easily by copied and are allowed at least in U.S. as a "back up". So use that instead of original disk.

Also, Steam has no storefront(s) to keep open. That greatly reduces costs.

The only benefit I see from Steam is "portability"; able to get games on computers connected to internet.

If steam wants to ban your internet-based game they are allowed and never let you petition/dispute.
Likewise if they go out of business tomorrow you own nothing- be it single or multiplayer game.

Edit: wow apparently there are tons of Valve fanboy leg humpers here.

Tooki

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]bucknutty[/nom]My 2 kids share a steam account. I have 1 copy of sonic, and 1 copy of magika. Because I only created 1 account the 6 year old can't play sonic becuase the 8 year old is playing magika. I have since made another account for the younger child but now I must rebuy the games for him. Its not really a big deal for me, but solving challenges like this will help steam get into the living room with thier steam box ideas.I guess this is sort of contrary to the console direction. You can sell games now, but your friend may have to buy an activation key to play the game on xbox live, or ps network. In the future I have the feeling games will be tied to you xbox "next" ID.[/citation]

1. Login on one computer
2. Switch to offline mode
3. Login on the second computer
4. ???
5. Profit

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
One of the reasons why New Games cost alot is because of used games. You have to factor in consumers who buy their game second hand for a fraction of the original cost that the developer does not get. With a distribution platform like steam where the developer does not have to pay for boxes or calculate the players buying the game second hand, then the cost can be reduced which is one of the reasons why Steam can offer Sales where the price is reduced to $35 for a newly released game.
I think that now steam has been around for some time, they should start offering a broader amount of services like family plans where multiple accounts can share access to a game.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]bucknutty[/nom]My 2 kids share a steam account. I have 1 copy of sonic, and 1 copy of magika. Because I only created 1 account the 6 year old can't play sonic becuase the 8 year old is playing magika. I have since made another account for the younger child but now I must rebuy the games for him. Its not really a big deal for me, but solving challenges like this will help steam get into the living room with thier steam box ideas.I guess this is sort of contrary to the console direction. You can sell games now, but your friend may have to buy an activation key to play the game on xbox live, or ps network. In the future I have the feeling games will be tied to you xbox "next" ID.[/citation]

I too share an account. The best thing you can do is to have one user log on then have him go into offline mode, then the other user can play normally. Unless of course both games require online play and both use Steam's community to interact then you're screwed. But yeah I would also like for Steam to allow more than one user logged through the same account, they could even limit the ammount of freedom of the other logger while using the same account.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]One of the reasons why New Games cost alot is because of used games. You have to factor in consumers who buy their game second hand for a fraction of the original cost that the developer does not get. With a distribution platform like steam where the developer does not have to pay for boxes or calculate the players buying the game second hand, then the cost can be reduced which is one of the reasons why Steam can offer Sales where the price is reduced to $35 for a newly released game.I think that now steam has been around for some time, they should start offering a broader amount of services like family plans where multiple accounts can share access to a game.[/citation]

I don't believe that, I remember when the new consoles arrived and the developers said the prices went up because it was harder to develop a high definition game, of course that is also bullshit. They managed to get the prices up and the consumer approved by buying the games so they left it at the same price. They make a killer profit and second hand games do not hurt the enterprise at all but since they're in it to maximize their profit they have begun to limit the playability of used games with dirty online schemes.

IF we the consumer would boycott games that are priced at $60 the game companies would soon notice and stop the absurdity. Steam sell cheap games because their business plan involves in selling more quantity, so they achieve this by lowering the price of the games and it has proven to be very successful. Meanwhile companies like Origin want to maintain the high prices but still hope they will sell in record numbers.

Here's a very interesting article regarding the matter:
http://www.1up.com/news/origin-wont-offer-steam-like-sales

Status
Not open for further replies.