7950 GT compadability/help

Firewind

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
My father has recently commissioned me to build him a new home machine that will be able to perform both work and entertainment related tasks. After researching price, performance, and power reqiurements, we decided that the GeForce 7950 GT would be an excellent fit for his system.

Since that time, however, my father has expressed interest in running two monitors similar to how he runs them at work.

Specifically, he runs SAS programs, and wants to be able to drag a spread sheet or data file over to one monitor while programming on the other. We noticed that 7950GT comes with dual DVI support but before going ahead and picking it, we wanted to make absolutely sure that this works this way.

As a side note, on compadability.
Note: He want want to run SLI in the future.

Right now I'm looking at

Core 2 Duo E6600 processor
4 GB Corsair 240-Pin DDR2 675 SDRAM
SILVERSTONE SST-ST60F ATX 600W Power Supply 90
GeForce 7950 GT
Intel BOXD975XBXLKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard

I am also considering this motherboard:

eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Are there any compadability issues that I should be aware of?

Unearthly

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I have the 7950GT, and while I can't comment on the SLI, I CAN say that I use a Dual Monitor setup just as you mention. Both monitors act as separate screens, when you maximize a window it fills that particular monitor. I also find it very useful for coding, having my project instructions/manuals on one monitor and my IDE on the other. :)

PS. This view mode is called 'Dual View' and is the default dual monitor view.

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Unearthly is correct. The 7950GT can support two monitors at the same time with multiple different configurations. Also the 7950GT is also SLI compatible with of course another 7950GT. If the motherboard supports SLI then there should be no problems. Have fun

XFX
Support