Are people disappearing? Where are posts going?

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
I went to look at a thread that I started 2+ weeks ago, and I noticed that a few posts were missing. In particular, Supremelaw's posts. He gave a model number that I was going to google.

Anyway, I could find his post on the google cache, BUT not when I opened it for view inside Tom's Forums. In fact, I checked a few other threads that I know he has posted in, and it would seem that every posting he has ever made has disappeared... Anyone at Tom's know what's going on? I even looked up his profile and clicked on the "view posts this person has made" option and it lists alot of threads, but none of them show any actual posts.

It's almost like TH has deliberately blocked the posts from appearing. I find it very distasteful to delete posts from valid threads. It's like reading a book and missing pages...

So where are these posts going? I 'thought' that the purpose of a forum was to share ideas, but if we're going to start censoring people like this on the forum, I'm going to find me a new forum.

So what gives? What's going on?

In particular, look at this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252402-30-interesting-cheat-barrier

And the google cache...

http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:BxlY-KztsEkJ:www.tomshardware.com/forum/252402-30-interesting-cheat-barrier+supremelaw+cheat+4gb&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

And here's his "post listing".. all with threads, but no "last posts"....

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post_cat_list=|28*tomshardwareus|29*tomshardwareus|30*tomshardwareus|31*tomshardwareus|32*tomshardwareus|33*tomshardwareus|41*tomshardwareus|44*tomshardwareus|11*tomshardwareus|&orderSearch=0&recherches=1&resSearch=200&jour=0&mois=0&annee=0&titre=3&search=&pseud=supremelaw&daterange=2&searchtype=1&searchall=1

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
I'm glad someone like yourself who has alot of respect in this forum answered. I had considered that, but his profile is still at active status. If he did get banned, I find it resonable to remove the comments he made that were offending to others, but keep all remaining posts. If you read my thread, it just doesn't flow the same. Especially my comment back to supremelaw since the forum now shows that I started talking to someone that had not posted a comment at all.

Overall, it begs the question of what is happening here. It's hard to find the articles that I used to read regularly. Now it's hard to find even forum posts. I did a search of the forums for the word "supremelaw", knowing that my post would show up since I used his name in one of my posts. The results of the search? No results found. What is going on with the search feature of this site? It's like it's slowly falling apart at the seams.

randomizer

Champion
I've never like the search since they changed the software, it's very picky. I did find this thread though, you needed to make sure you tell the search engine to look in messages, not in thread titles. Many other threads show up too, mostly with no last matching post. I wonder if that is how the search engine handles deleted posts. I'll need to experiment with it.

EDIT: Nope, deleted posts shouldn't show up in a search at all.

randomizer

Champion
I would think that censoring would have involved removing posts, not hiding them. Perhaps the mods can just hide them too. I'm fairly sure that supremelaw had links to his website in every post, and they may not have gone down too well.

G

I bet you'll find that this person virtually doesn't exist anymore. This is something that is ongoing with thousands of "used to be's" and I have been researching the phenomena. Did you know that 4000 people a year disappear never to be heard from again? Most people don't know this but the even stranger thing is that it is always near the number 4000. If it's not 4000, it is near 6500 which occurs about every sixth year or so and then the number goes back down to 4000 again. This is no lie and I think people need to be aware of this. Check it out and spread the word!

I bet you'll find that this person virtually doesn't exist anymore. This is something that is ongoing with thousands of "used to be's" and I have been researching the phenomena. Did you know that 4000 people a year disappear never to be heard from again? Most people don't know this but the even stranger thing is that it is always near the number 4000. If it's not 4000, it is near 6500 which occurs about every sixth year or so and then the number goes back down to 4000 again. This is no lie and I think people need to be aware of this. Check it out and spread the word!

Randomizer I'm concerned. This "used to be" phenomena be may be "what 'dat" heading your way. Supremelaw... yo, 'dat you?

ghostofyourpastjm9.jpg

Jake_Barnes

Splendid

Clearly, the answer is 42 ...