Help! I think I blasted my MoBo

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Hello people

I'm on my first attempt to OC a PC and when I flashed the BIOS using the AMIFlash utility after i restarted my pc didn't boot anymore 8O , it won't even POST, I get 8 beeps every 2 seconds and don't know what it means. Have I just Busted my MoBo? :oops: .

Info about my rig is at this thread http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Prescott-ghz-juice-left-ftopict207428.html

Hope someone can help me out? (at least to know if my MoBo is a goner)

If its a totally black screen no text at all, and you didn't get a Flash Successful Message instructing you to restart the computer after the BIOS flash, your M/B is probably toast, you'll have to go through the M/B manufacturer and RMA it to them so they can reflash the M/B BIOS for you.

You may try clearing the CMOS following your M/B manuals instructions on how to clear the CMOS and restarting, but if you're back to a blank screen, its toast.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Unplug from AC, then use clear CMOS jumper OR pull battery for 10 minutes.

If you have a spare PCI video card lying around (no matter how old), remove your current card and install that, THEN clear CMOS as mentioned above. Sometimes this will allow video output.

If you don't have a floppy drive (connected) but have one available, connect it to see if system tries to access it, you might be able to reflash your board still.

If the EERPOM pops out (socketed rather than soldered on), there is no need to send the whole board to anyone, you can buy a new bios chip flashed to your desired bios for about $10 online from various places (google search for them), not just from the motherboard manufacturer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AMI has a built in flash utility that can recover from a bad flash. First make sure you have the CORRECT BIOS FOR YOUR BOARD, then put it on a floppy (it doesn't have to be bootable), hold down the magic key and start your system.

I think the magic key for initiating automated flash is either INSERT or HOME, I really can't remember. Look it up if you have to.

If your M/B is still under warranty and you yourself, hardware alter it, your warranty is gone, so take that into consideration before obtaining a BIOS chip from another source, if a M/B manufacturer tells you to pull the chip and send it to them thats different, but I doubt very seriously thats going to happen they'll give you RMA instructions and tell you to send the M/B to them.

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
I was using an utility called AMIFlash in windows, i did get a Succesful flash message asking me to restart the PC. I restarted and then no POST screen but 8 beeps in 2 sec intervals. I made a lil' research and found this: Display memory Read/Write test failure, can it be Fixed?

Thanks for such a fast reply! :p

P. S. I tried booting with the on board vga but same result.

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
There's no more Beeps for me :cry:

As fast as I plugged in the floppy drive and turned on my system it stopped Beeping, still, i tried the "magic key" (ctrl + Home) thingie with the only BIOS I could get from pcchips for my MoBo with no luck.

I'm leaving the rig unplugged, with the clear cmos jumper and without the battery overnight, hopefully i can try again in the morning to flash the BIOS.

Does the lack of any Beeping means my MoBo is gone :?:

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
I doubt my CPU is wrong (at least hope so), I unplugged the floppy and didn't got any beep either, about the IDE (if you mean the one of the HD) I haven't touched it. I think maybe it could be the PSU but I'll try again tomorrow, I have to re-animate my oldie to have something to use while i get the money to replace anything I busted or at least long enough to fix mi rig. Thanks and any more info you can share is wellcome.

Make sure the CMOS jumper is on right you move it to the clear position and back to the run position check you M/B manual for the proper orientation, if its backwards it won't boot.

And you should be able to read the writing on the CMOS battery as to brand and type and + when properly inserted thats what you should be seeing.

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
I checked both the CMOS jumper and the Battery, both are correctly placed.

After a day of being unplugged, at least I hear the 8 beeps again, I tried to recover the BIOS following crashman's instructions and got the following result: As I keep CTRL + HOME pressed I turn on the PC with the floppy inserted, it starts to read the disk and then it beeps once, 2-3 sec after that it beeps twice in an endles loop every second.

I checked both memory sticks too and they are working fine. The only real concern I have is about my processor, does the Beeping means it's still working o can it be a toast too?

MoBo is out of guarantee, I can't get any old BIOS to try to fix it, on PCCHIPS page there's only the so-called latest BIOS :x . It was an awful MoBo that looks like it had an awful death. :cry:

P. S. It still can't get any video.
Please check my other Post and help me choose the Best MoBo to overclock
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Prescott-ghz-juice-left-ftopict207428.html

Please check my other Post and help me choose the Best MoBo to overclock

Please do not take offence to my following statement;
I take the responsibility to overclock my own property but do not advise others in the How Tos, of overclocking, that is totally your property and your responsibility.

There are O/Cing guides available through many, many, O/Cing websites, you can Google, study and learn all you need, all the information is out there.

It appeared from your initial post in this thread your desire for O/Cing led to getting you in the situation you're in now, as I've said many times before when it comes to O/Cing a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, my advice is to study and learn, the articles are out there, there are how to guides and hardware reccomendations right here at THGF in the O/Cing section.

My opinion, is when you have attained enough knowledge about O/Cing, you won't have to ask anyone how or what hardware to use, and again I do not mean any offence by saying this to you. I'd rather you just took it as good advice.

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
No offense taken!

I do know I'm a novice in OCing, anyway, I think is in human nature to be inquisitive and to try to learn as much as one can, sometimes, this leads us to make mistakes.

I responsabilize no one but me about what happened to my MoBo, instead I thank everyone who answered to my posts for sharing their knowledge and comments. Right now, I only look forward to fix my computer but that doesn't means I'm going to buy the cheapest and more easily accessible spare parts I can get, instead, I am willing to keep my learning process.

The reason I asked for my other thread to be read, was only to show you the possible options that are at arms reach to replace my MoBo.

Greetings

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
No offense taken!

I do know I'm a novice in OCing, anyway, I think is in human nature to be inquisitive and to try to learn as much as one can, sometimes, this leads us to make mistakes.

I responsabilize no one but me about what happened to my MoBo, instead I thank everyone who answered to my posts for sharing their knowledge and comments. Right now, I only look forward to fix my computer but that doesn't means I'm going to buy the cheapest and more easily accessible spare parts I can get, instead, I am willing to keep my learning process.

The reason I asked for my other thread to be read, was only to show you the possible options that are at arms reach to replace my MoBo.

Greetings

So, does anyone has advice either how to try to fix my MoBo or about what is the best option of the above to replace it?

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Hooray! I restored my PC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, guy for those who may ever get in the same situation as me this is what worked for me.

So, for an AMI BIOS that has been busted as explaied in this thread the solution is this: in a Floppy Disk save a BIOS file compatible with your system :!: :!: IMPORTANT :!: :!: the ROM file must be named AMIBOOT.ROM so the BIOS recovery feature to read it. After you have the proper file on the floppy disk put it in the PC and keep pressed CTRL + HOME and then turn the rig on.
You should hear the disk being read, then one beep, at this point let go the CTRL and HOME keys and the rom will be flashed to the BIOS after a series of beeps, when you hear 3 beeps and the PC turns idle for a while reset the PC and eject the floppy disk. CMOS settings will be scrambled so you must set them manually. Load optmal settings and you are good to go!

I really hope what happened to me is of some use to someone else, I had to make a lot of research to fix my rig so this is my advise for those who are going to mess with the BIOS: if it ain't broke DON'T fix it :wink:

Greetings and thanks for the support to all who answered to my posts.

Saludos

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Thank you.

I had two mobos lying in a drawer (1x 478 and 1x 462 for those who want details) that came back to me from clients (enthusiastic ones, since I'm in a nice mood) with the same symptoms you described.

I have now fixed them. Thank you again.

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
You have nothing to thank!

Knowledge is to be shared, that's why I posted what helped me fix my problem, I'm really glad my experience (should I say carelessness?) was of some use for you.

Saludos

KaizenSama

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Thank you.

I had two mobos lying in a drawer (1x 478 and 1x 462 for those who want details) that came back to me from clients (enthusiastic ones, since I'm in a nice mood) with the same symptoms you described.

I have now fixed them. Thank you again.

Hey, I propose we post here all we know about BIOS restoring to help those known as BBA (BIOS Busters Anonymous) :D
I am one of them, luckly I was able to save my rig from eternal Doomness