MY CD SHATTERED INSIDE MY CD-ROM?

akay

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
while i was playing a game i heard a sound i thought it came from the other room but when i saw the game was stuck i opened the cd-rom the cd-rom tray came half way and i can see the cd blown to bits

what the hell happened?
can anyone of u have a idea of what caused this i had to buy a new cd-rom :cry:
thanx

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Some types of CD/DVD cases can cause hairline fractures on the inner areas of the discs. EA used to use these plastic cases (the ones where you press down on the center to release the disc, I believe). Google it if you so happen to have stored that particular disc in one of these types of cases.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
This happened to me once too. Granted, it was an old disk, and it was a 56x CDrom (yes, they do exist) but I feel lucky to not have been hurt by that experience. Half of the disk shot out of the drive, blowing the front of the tray almost off. It was by sheer chance that the front stayed on and held the disk from blowing all the way across the room.

I tried to resurrect the drive the next day, and it worked. After hours and hours of slaving away at the project, I got it to read disks again. Although, it didn't perform very well, and it seemed way off balance, it worked. Fortunately, I had a spare, and I didn't have to worry about just putting that one out of commission.

BTW, I don't recommend trying to do that unless you are willing to risk destroying your entire system. It is a dangerous practice to reinstall a drive that had that sort of thing happen to it. Just throw out the old one and get a new one that's not full of CD glitter. You'll have a better experience that way, and you'll know you are using a safe drive.

Sorry about your loss... :(

cavornex

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hit me also, but still I'm using the poor DVD ROM more than a year after it happened. I opened up the DVD ROM (nothing to lose than throw it without trying - I read how to open a ROM from a modding article I saw once) nothing hard really, just have that very small screw on hand.

Then I pick up the debris - big and small - one by one. The really small ones you can blow away. Then put it back, and its one happy 16X LiteOn DVD ROM again.