New gaming build?

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I am going to be building a new gaming rig here in the next month or so, maybe early January at latest. I was thinking of trying to keep it below $1500 and then get a DX10 card once they go down in price and Vista has been released.

***This computer will have Vista installed when it is released.

Possible Specs(UPDATED):

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4ghz
Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe
Video Card: PNY GeForce 7900GS 256MB
Ram: Crucial Technology 2gb(2x1gb) DDR2
Hard Drive 1: Seagate Barracuda 320gb
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower W0128RU 650W.
Case: Antec Performance 1P180B Black
HSF: Tuniq Tower 120
DVD-RW: Samsung DVD Burner
DVD #2: Not sure.

I am wondering about a few things. What PSU should I go with, and I want it to be able to support a DX10 card without having to upgrade. Would upgrading the HSF on the E6600 be a good thing to do from the start? I think I would over-clock it a decent amount. Is that ram good, or should I look for something with tighter timing? Is the case very good and can it stay cool very easily? I don't know anything about Raid Controllers. Would the Raptor make a big difference or should I just get the single HD?

I also have a Sharp 19" LCD and a really nice pair of Altec Lancing Headphones.

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
gaming rig ? E6600 or E6700 ? wtf.. buy better graphic card and get a cheaper cpu
I guess you missed the part where I said I would be upgrading to a DX10 card once they dropped to around $400. With that card, I want about $2,000 in the computer. I will probaly wait until March-May until I put the DX10 card in though. Just so all the bugs are out of them.

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
gts cost around $450 ? and your thinking of buying E6700 insted of E6600 that cost the double ? lol

It's called depreciation.

Now could you please stop flaming my thread. I have stated my reasons, and I am prepared to go a little over the 2k mark. I would like some feedback from people who KNOW what they're saying.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
i aint flaming i just wonder why ppl make all these topics when there is 1000 of em

also u write ''and I want it to be able to support a DX10 card without having to upgrade'' the only thing u need for dx10 is a dx10 card and vista pretty simple.

HSF makes ur cpu cooler so u can overclock more? i think thats the question u should ask urself if u want that

''is the case very good and can it stay cool very easily?''

thermaltake tsunami is a fine case but if u wanna make it even cooler go with the thermaltake armor with 250mm fan

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
^^^

Thanks for the information. I should have reworded that. I wasn't meaning the graphics card there, because of course I will have to update that, I was referring to the PSU. I think I will end up going for the e6600 for the price and hope for it to over-clock around 3.5ghz constantly, and lower it for non-intensive games like generals that I play quite a bit.

I looked for that case, and this is what I found. Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Also, what are those flaps for?

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
upgrading to a DX10 card once they dropped to around $400
8800 GTS video cards @ $489
OK, let me get this straight.
You're going to buy a $87 video card now wait till the 8800s drop to $400?
Why not spend the extra $2 now and just get the 8800GTS?

I'm gonna sell the graphics card to a friend who will be building a system next summer for probaly $40-50.

I also don't think the cards right now will be very good, just my opinion, but I don't want to risk having to upgrade for it not having something or containing a lot of bugs in the next year.

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I wasn't sure on this. I don't do too much burning, but enough that I could justify atleast one burner.

Also, I was reading the graphics card review, and it said that it needed around 20amps on a 12v. Will my PSU be able to supply that? I know it says 18amp per rail, or how does that work?

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
everything looks good. For right now dont spend lots on money on graphic card, just get a cheap one just to get the system started, save that money for a DX10 card once price drops. Also save money for windows vista, cause DX10 requires Win Vista.

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Yeah. I'm going to use the OS from this laptop on my desktop. I really don't think I'm going to keep it, so probaly stripping it, and going on ebay. As for graphics card, I think that the $110 7600GT will do just fine, it isn't too pricey, and from what I have heard, is still fairly competitive in the gaming world. Atleast with the games I'll be playing. C&C: Generals, CS:S, BF2142, Oblivion, NWN2, BF1942, and maybe SimCity 4(just can't get enough).

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Think I have finalized my decisions on everything except for what DVD-RW to get and if I should get another HD.

How hard is it going to be do the BIOS and get the computer setup? I haven't built a computer in about 3years so is there a guide to current BIOS or are they basically the same with the C2D processors. Keep in mind I am going to want to OC it eventually.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Since you'll be installing a motherboard that supports RAID, remember that the most significant bottleneck in today's fast computer systems is the storage subsystem. RAID0 is a configuration option to seriously consider in order to build a system with balanced technologies. It isn't necessary to purchase the most expensive drives available, but any twin drives will typically be nearly twice as fast as a matching single drive.

RAID0 will cut your boot time almost in half, as well as greatly reducing "hour glass time" opening bloatware programs, or running any hard drive intensive processes including AntiVirus disk scans, defragging and imaging. Since you're taking care to invest your time and resources in building a high end system, it's only appropriate that the architecture of your new rig should provide for the advantages of the masive performance boosts of RAID0.

Hope this helps you out...enjoy!

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Since you'll be installing a motherboard that supports RAID, remember that the most significant bottleneck in today's fast computer systems is the storage subsystem. RAID0 is a configuration option to seriously consider in order to build a system with balanced technologies. It isn't necessary to purchase the most expensive drives available, but any twin drives will typically be nearly twice as fast as a matching single drive.

RAID0 will cut your boot time almost in half, as well as greatly reducing "hour glass time" opening bloatware programs, or running any hard drive intensive processes including AntiVirus disk scans, defragging and imaging. Since you're taking care to invest your time and resources in building a high end system, it's only appropriate that the architecture of your new rig should provide for the advantages of the masive performance boosts of RAID0.

Yeah, on another forum I was told the same thing.

Get the 2nd 320GB. It looks like the P5B-E has an ICH8R southbridge. That means you can do Intel Matrix Raid if you want.

I have it setup on 2 Seagate 320s and LOVE it. HDTach says its faster then raptors in raid0 but maybe they are smoking some good shit, or the via raid controller they used sucks, who knows.

http://i15.tinypic.com/30m2074.jpg

Anyway, with matrix raid you can have raid 0&1 on the same drive. I've got a 500gb raid0 where windows runs and all work is done, then a 50gb raid1 where I save important stuff, keep a backup copy of my windows install, best part is both are bootable, so if there is a problem I tell the bios to load my mirror drive first and ta-da, loose nothing.

A LOT cheaper then raid10 or 5, granted I only get 50gb to store crap, but I don't think I have 50gb or real important stuff anyway.

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

very informative! i just have a few questions..
1. what is the difference bet. Raid 0 and Raid 1?
2. how are they used?
3. do you need to have two physical hard disk to use Raid 0 or Raid 1?

thanks!

hdawg06

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I decided that I could afford the E6700 if I removed the Sound Card and used the one on the motherboard, and think it would be easier to hit 4ghz(one of my goals to try and hit eventually). WITH the 8-series card, I estimated $1750 or so with 1xhd, but will probaly actually be around $1850, since I will probaly get the 2x Seagate 320gb Hard Drives. I also decided to upgrade the video card. I went out and bought 7900gs 256mb DDR3 card from Best Buy for $149.99. I was pleased with that, and figured it would be better than the 7600gt, AND I would be able to use it for longer, letting the DX10 cards become cheaper, and also giving me a little more time to work and earn a little extra dough to pay for the system.