Scanjet 4300c McAfee

If my Virus scanner (McAfee 7.02) is being enabled my USB connected HP 4300c
scanner doesn't start at all. If the virus scanner is being disabled it
start only 15+ seconds after hitting the .exe file. Once started everything
looks fine. Somebody knows why this behaviour exists and how to remedy?
Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about scanjet 4300c mcafee

    "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
    > If my Virus scanner (McAfee 7.02) is being enabled my USB connected HP
    > 4300c scanner doesn't start at all. If the virus scanner is being disabled
    > it start only 15+ seconds after hitting the .exe file. Once started
    > everything looks fine. Somebody knows why this behaviour exists and how to
    > remedy? Thanks.

    Just a guess: Your scanner driver is fried.

    Maybe you should check HP for a updated scanner driver.
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
    >> If my Virus scanner (McAfee 7.02) is being enabled my USB connected HP
    >> 4300c scanner doesn't start at all. If the virus scanner is being
    >> disabled it start only 15+ seconds after hitting the .exe file. Once
    >> started everything looks fine. Somebody knows why this behaviour exists
    >> and how to remedy? Thanks.
    >>
    > Just a guess: Your scanner driver is fried.
    >
    > Maybe you should check HP for a updated scanner driver.
    > http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
    >

    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

    I think the reason the Virus scanner is not allowing the scanner driver to
    run, is because it is infected. That would explain by it takes so long to
    start also.

    I did not notice that you were in Belgium.
    http://www.hp.com/

    Select your country and language from the dropdown.
    Select your device then look for Support and/or download drivers and
    software.

    This is the Dutch language link.
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/be/nl/support.html

    French language link:
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/be/fr/support.html

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
    >>> If my Virus scanner (McAfee 7.02) is being enabled my USB connected HP
    >>> 4300c scanner doesn't start at all. If the virus scanner is being
    >>> disabled it start only 15+ seconds after hitting the .exe file. Once
    >>> started everything looks fine. Somebody knows why this behaviour exists
    >>> and how to remedy? Thanks.
    >>>
    >> Just a guess: Your scanner driver is fried.
    >>
    >> Maybe you should check HP for a updated scanner driver.
    >> http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
    >>

    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --
    >>

    > I think the reason the Virus scanner is not allowing the scanner driver to
    > run, is because it is infected. That would explain by it takes so long to
    > start also.
    >
    > I did not notice that you were in Belgium.
    > http://www.hp.com/
    >
    > Select your country and language from the dropdown.
    > Select your device then look for Support and/or download drivers and
    > software.
    >
    > This is the Dutch language link.
    > http://welcome.hp.com/country/be/nl/support.html
    >
    > French language link:
    > http://welcome.hp.com/country/be/fr/support.html
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

    Thanks. I downloaded and used (tried to use) the autostarting file
    sj6571du.exe. Strange things happened. Instead of installing the Scanjet SW
    it started the install of "Diskeeper Home edition" instead. I got thesame
    problem with the English
    sw version. FYI I have an XP 2.8Ghz HT enabled system. When McAfee blocks
    the scanjet startup, I have continously about 50% CPU activity ( Taskmnager
    Performance window). I already changed the USB port and wire without
    results.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Just a guess: Your scanner driver is fried.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe you should check HP for a updated scanner driver.
    >>> http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> CSM1
    >>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> I think the reason the Virus scanner is not allowing the scanner driver
    >> run, is because it is infected. That would explain by it takes so long to
    >> start also.
    >>
    >> I did not notice that you were in Belgium.
    >> http://www.hp.com/
    >>
    >> Select your country and language from the dropdown.
    >> Select your device then look for Support and/or download drivers and
    >> software.
    >>
    >> This is the Dutch language link.
    >> http://welcome.hp.com/country/be/nl/support.html
    >>
    >> French language link:
    >> http://welcome.hp.com/country/be/fr/support.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --
    >>

    > Thanks. I downloaded and used (tried to use) the autostarting file
    > sj6571du.exe. Strange things happened. Instead of installing the Scanjet
    > SW
    > it started the install of "Diskeeper Home edition" instead. I got thesame
    > problem with the English
    > sw version. FYI I have an XP 2.8Ghz HT enabled system. When McAfee blocks
    > the scanjet startup, I have continously about 50% CPU activity (
    > Taskmnager
    > Performance window). I already changed the USB port and wire without
    > results.

    You have not said what OS you are using.
    This is for Windows XP.

    You do have to turn off the virus scanner to install the ScanJet software,
    as the virus scanner interferes with the process.

    "Diskeeper Home edition" is a disk utility, It is probably included with
    the install program.
    A quote from some info I found on HP USA. I have to search HP USA because my
    Dutch is non-existent.

    Microsoft programs and third-party utility programs such as ScanDisk, Norton
    System Doctor, Diskeeper, and other system utilities must get a volume lock
    on the drive to control access by other processes to the volume.

    So Diskeeper is locking the disk volume while installing the hp software.
    Looks like normal behavior for this installer.

    Dutch:
    LTX-software/driver voor de Scanjet 4300C/Cse/Cxi PrecisionScan

    sj657du.exe 1/1 (29.27M) (Seems to be the right file.)

    Since this such a large install file, I am sure that it contains every part
    of the software included with the ScanJet scanner. Twain drivers alone are
    nowhere near this large. Most Twain drivers alone are around 1-3 megabytes
    download.
    Turn off the virus scanner during the installation.
    Let the installer complete. Then turn the virus scanner back on.

    Did you read the installation instructions? (Dutch):
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/setupCategory?dlc=nl&lc=nl&product=58982&lang=nl&cc=be&

    Software included with the Scanjet 4300
    Software information
    HP Software
    HP Scanjet scanner installation program (SETUP.EXE)

    HP Scanjet scanning software (HP Precisionscan LTX, HP Scanjet Copy
    Utility, OCR Libraries)

    Electronic information and troubleshooting guide

    Third-Party Software
    Adobe ActiveShare

    Corel Print House

    Trellix Web

    ArcSoft PhotoFantasy software (4300Cse only)

    ArcSoft PhotoMontage software (4300Cxi only)

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    I need to add, Remove the old HP scanjet 4300C Software before installing
    the New software.
    Remove it either in the Start menu item or from the Control Panel,
    Add/Remove Programs.
    If there is a Remove or Uninstall in the Start Menu Item, use that one.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> [...]
    > download.
    > Turn off the virus scanner during the installation.
    > Let the installer complete. Then turn the virus scanner back on.
    >
    > Did you read the installation instructions? (Dutch):
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/setupCategory?dlc=nl&lc=nl&product=58982&lang=nl&cc=be&
    >
    > Software included with the Scanjet 4300
    > Software information
    > HP Software
    > HP Scanjet scanner installation program (SETUP.EXE)
    >
    > HP Scanjet scanning software (HP Precisionscan LTX, HP Scanjet Copy
    > Utility, OCR Libraries)
    >
    > Electronic information and troubleshooting guide
    >
    > Third-Party Software
    > Adobe ActiveShare
    >
    > Corel Print House
    >
    > Trellix Web
    >
    > ArcSoft PhotoFantasy software (4300Cse only)
    >
    > ArcSoft PhotoMontage software (4300Cxi only)

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

> [...]
    >> download.
    >> Turn off the virus scanner during the installation.
    >> Let the installer complete. Then turn the virus scanner back on.
    >>
    >> Did you read the installation instructions? (Dutch):
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/setupCategory?dlc=nl&lc=nl&product=58982&lang=nl&cc=be&
    >>
    >> Software included with the Scanjet 4300
    >> Software information
    >> HP Software
    >> HP Scanjet scanner installation program (SETUP.EXE)
    >>
    >> HP Scanjet scanning software (HP Precisionscan LTX, HP Scanjet Copy
    >> Utility, OCR Libraries)
    >>
    >> Electronic information and troubleshooting guide
    >>
    >> Third-Party Software
    >> Adobe ActiveShare
    >>
    >> Corel Print House
    >>
    >> Trellix Web
    >>
    >> ArcSoft PhotoFantasy software (4300Cse only)
    >>
    >> ArcSoft PhotoMontage software (4300Cxi only)

    Thanks again for your inputs, but I noticed in the Add/remove listing that
    besides the scanjet program I also have HP scan-to-web installed. Is this
    normal?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Software included with the Scanjet 4300
    >>> Software information
    >>> HP Software
    >>> HP Scanjet scanner installation program (SETUP.EXE)
    >>>
    >>> HP Scanjet scanning software (HP Precisionscan LTX, HP Scanjet Copy
    >>> Utility, OCR Libraries)
    >>>
    >>> Electronic information and troubleshooting guide
    >>>
    >>> Third-Party Software
    >>> Adobe ActiveShare
    >>>
    >>> Corel Print House
    >>>
    >>> Trellix Web
    >>>
    >>> ArcSoft PhotoFantasy software (4300Cse only)
    >>>
    >>> ArcSoft PhotoMontage software (4300Cxi only)
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> CSM1
    >>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >>> --
    >>>

    > Thanks again for your inputs, but I noticed in the Add/remove listing that
    > besides the scanjet program I also have HP scan-to-web installed. Is this

    I do not know. Maybe, since it is a HP program.
    If you do not use it, I would remove it.

    As long as you have the original installation CD, you should be able to
    reinstall any program you delete.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    I uninstalled and reinstalled the scanner SW and Driver with a disabled
    virusscanner, from the CD and also from the HP download site, respecting the
    installation instructions...always the same result: only when McAfee is
    disabled the sanner program starts after 15 seconds. Could SP2 (WindowsXP)
    and its security modules somehow be involved. The scanner used to work well
    (but maybe under W2K)
    Thanks anyway

    > "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I need to add, Remove the old HP scanjet 4300C Software before installing
    >>>the New software.
    >>> Remove it either in the Start menu item or from the Control Panel,
    >>> Add/Remove Programs.
    >>> If there is a Remove or Uninstall in the Start Menu Item, use that one.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> CSM1
    >>> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >>> --
    >>> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

    >> Thanks again for your inputs, but I noticed in the Add/remove listing
    >> that besides the scanjet program I also have HP scan-to-web installed. Is
    >> this normal?
    >
    > I do not know. Maybe, since it is a HP program.
    > If you do not use it, I would remove it.
    >
    > As long as you have the original installation CD, you should be able to
    > reinstall any program you delete.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com