Darned AOL

Whenever I start OE, AIM starts, too. I have unchecked the Start AOL box in
Options, but it still starts with OE.
How can I prevent this?
Thank you.
18 answers Last reply
More about darned

    LMO wrote:
    > Whenever I start OE, AIM starts, too. I have unchecked the Start AOL
    > box in Options, but it still starts with OE.
    > How can I prevent this?
    > Thank you.

    To quote a regular (joust-in-jest I believe): -

    "If it hurts every time you poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick
    (AOL), the obvious solution is to quit poking yourself in the eye with a
    sharp stick (AOL).

    If you absolutely MUST poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick (AOL),
    then feel free to seek assistance from the maker of the sharp stick
    (AOL)."Alternatively, you may want to try the following: - 1) Take the
    AOHELL CD2) If you are old enough to drive, and have a licence, place it
    in themiddle of the drive and back over it several times.3) If you are
    not old enough to drive - or don't have a licence - placesaid CD in the
    microwave and cook on full power for a couple of minutes - itreally is
    fascinating, and most satisfying, to watch.4) Place resulting mess in the
    rubbish5) Pick up the phone, call AOHELL 'Customer Service' and tell them
    youwish to cancel your account. Don't, however tempting it might be, let
    them persuade you to stay with offers of 'free' months. 6) Ask people for
    recommendations for a proper ISP.7) Call new ISP of choice and sign
    up.There! Problem solved.Unfortunately, removing AOHELL's trojanic software
    will, most likely,require a complete format and reinstall.
    on salads.

    Okay,

    Firstly, I'd seriously consider changing your ISP provider. Dependant on
    where you're living, you're likely to have a group of poor ISPs (Internet
    Service Providers), the mediocre ISPs and you're reputable ones. Where I am,
    it's BT and Telewest battling it out for the top slot.

    AOL across the world have this reputation for having uninstallable,
    'trojanic', software that will not leave your computer, and thus acts like
    that horrible sticky stuff you get left behind after pulling off a shoe
    label. It will not go away no matter what solvent/cleaning product you use.
    AOL software is exactly the same.

    Now then.....to your question.

    There is a similar issue with Windows Messenger, and there'll be an option
    in BOTH programs you have to get rid of. I've just had a chat with a mate,
    and this is what he did to get rid of it, as he had the same problem.

    Use MSCONFIG by going to START, RUN, type in 'msconfig' with inverted
    commas, go to the start up tab, find AIm in the list, and make sure the box
    next to it is unchecked.

    Next, make sure AIM doesn't have any setting that ask it to start up when
    Windows does.

    Next, apparently you have to disable AIM as your default messenger.

    Check in the OPTIONS of OE that you definetly have all settings to ask AIM
    not to start when it does.

    Now, repeat these steps for all users/logins on the computer. He got this
    from a website, and he said it worked but he doesn't have the URL to hand,
    however, with it being AOL it doesn't surprise me you have to go to these
    lengths just to ask it to do one little thing.

    Hope this helps, and that you solve the problem, aaaaaand......move away
    from AOL.

    Now then, what you might want to consider doing here is downloading a
    program called TRILLIAN. It's a messenger program that combines the most
    popular messengers in the world - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger, Yahoo
    Messenger, AIM, and ICQ. And allows you to have one contact list for the lot.
    You connect to the servers to chat but don't have to use the programs to do
    it.

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

    > LMO wrote:
    > > Whenever I start OE, AIM starts, too. I have unchecked the Start AOL
    > > box in Options, but it still starts with OE.
    > > How can I prevent this?
    > > Thank you.
    >

    > To quote a regular (joust-in-jest I believe): -
    >

    > "If it hurts every time you poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick
    > (AOL), the obvious solution is to quit poking yourself in the eye with a
    > sharp stick (AOL).
    >
    > If you absolutely MUST poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick (AOL),
    > then feel free to seek assistance from the maker of the sharp stick
    > (AOL)."Alternatively, you may want to try the following: - 1) Take the
    > AOHELL CD2) If you are old enough to drive, and have a licence, place it
    > in themiddle of the drive and back over it several times.3) If you are
    > not old enough to drive - or don't have a licence - placesaid CD in the
    > microwave and cook on full power for a couple of minutes - itreally is
    > fascinating, and most satisfying, to watch.4) Place resulting mess in the
    > rubbish5) Pick up the phone, call AOHELL 'Customer Service' and tell them
    > youwish to cancel your account. Don't, however tempting it might be, let
    > them persuade you to stay with offers of 'free' months. 6) Ask people for
    > recommendations for a proper ISP.7) Call new ISP of choice and sign
    > up.There! Problem solved.Unfortunately, removing AOHELL's trojanic software
    > will, most likely,require a complete format and reinstall.
    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

    If the ISP is AOL and you run any program that wants to access the internet
    wouldn't AOL have to start? Isn't AIM starting controlled by AOL options.

    "Lee" wrote:

> [...]
    > > in themiddle of the drive and back over it several times.3) If you are
    > > not old enough to drive - or don't have a licence - placesaid CD in the
    > > microwave and cook on full power for a couple of minutes - itreally is
    > > fascinating, and most satisfying, to watch.4) Place resulting mess in the
    > > rubbish5) Pick up the phone, call AOHELL 'Customer Service' and tell them
    > > youwish to cancel your account. Don't, however tempting it might be, let
    > > them persuade you to stay with offers of 'free' months. 6) Ask people for
    > > recommendations for a proper ISP.7) Call new ISP of choice and sign
    > > up.There! Problem solved.Unfortunately, removing AOHELL's trojanic software
    > > will, most likely,require a complete format and reinstall.
    > > --
    > > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling

    I bet the other kids called you Grinch on christmas.

    > LMO wrote:
    >> Whenever I start OE, AIM starts, too. I have unchecked the Start AOL
    >> box in Options, but it still starts with OE.
    >> How can I prevent this?
    >> Thank you.
    >

    > To quote a regular (joust-in-jest I believe): -
    >

    > "If it hurts every time you poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick
    > (AOL), the obvious solution is to quit poking yourself in the eye with a
    > sharp stick (AOL).
    >
    > If you absolutely MUST poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick (AOL),
    > then feel free to seek assistance from the maker of the sharp stick
    > (AOL)."Alternatively, you may want to try the following: - 1) Take the
    > AOHELL CD2) If you are old enough to drive, and have a licence, place
    > it in themiddle of the drive and back over it several times.3) If you
    > are not old enough to drive - or don't have a licence - placesaid CD in
    > the microwave and cook on full power for a couple of minutes - itreally is
    > fascinating, and most satisfying, to watch.4) Place resulting mess in
    > the rubbish5) Pick up the phone, call AOHELL 'Customer Service' and
    > tell them youwish to cancel your account. Don't, however tempting it might
    > be, let them persuade you to stay with offers of 'free' months. 6) Ask
    > people for recommendations for a proper ISP.7) Call new ISP of choice
    > and sign up.There! Problem solved.Unfortunately, removing AOHELL's
    > trojanic software will, most likely,require a complete format and
    > reinstall.
    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

    Christmas should always be capitalized.

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    |I bet the other kids called you Grinch on christmas.
    |

    | "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in
    message

    | Christmas should always be capitalized.

    I think you meant, "Christmas" should always be capitalized. Without the
    quote marks, you're referring to the holiday, not the name of it. You
    should clean up your own backyard before you start on someone else's.

    I will standby what I said, always in cap for Christmas.

    --
    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in
    message news:%23rzmKX35EHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    in message
    || Christmas should always be capitalized.
    |
    | I think you meant, "Christmas" should always be
    capitalized. Without the
    | quote marks, you're referring to the holiday, not the name
    of it. You
    | should clean up your own backyard before you start on
    someone else's.

    Disclaimer: Not responsable if microwave oven fails to operate properly
    after this procedure!

    Microsoft's Windows XP IM has a similar "feature" that can be turned off
    in Outlook Express' options menu. The options starts Windows Messenger
    when OE is started.

    Is it possible that the IM is being started by a connect / dial process?

    Hmm, I thought AOL's mail system was intentionaly incompatable with OE.
    Was that situation changed, or was I misinformed? I's odd if AOL is
    modifying the settings for a mail/news client it doesn't intend its
    customers to use.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > LMO wrote:
    >
    >>Whenever I start OE, AIM starts, too. I have unchecked the Start AOL
    >>box in Options, but it still starts with OE.
    >>How can I prevent this?
    >>Thank you.
    >

    > To quote a regular (joust-in-jest I believe): -
    >

    > "If it hurts every time you poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick
    > (AOL), the obvious solution is to quit poking yourself in the eye with a
    > sharp stick (AOL).
    >
    > If you absolutely MUST poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick (AOL),
    > then feel free to seek assistance from the maker of the sharp stick
    > (AOL)."Alternatively, you may want to try the following: - 1) Take the
    > AOHELL CD2) If you are old enough to drive, and have a licence, place it
    > in themiddle of the drive and back over it several times.3) If you are
    > not old enough to drive - or don't have a licence - placesaid CD in the
    > microwave and cook on full power for a couple of minutes - itreally is
    > fascinating, and most satisfying, to watch.4) Place resulting mess in the
    > rubbish5) Pick up the phone, call AOHELL 'Customer Service' and tell them
    > youwish to cancel your account. Don't, however tempting it might be, let
    > them persuade you to stay with offers of 'free' months. 6) Ask people for
    > recommendations for a proper ISP.7) Call new ISP of choice and sign
    > up.There! Problem solved.Unfortunately, removing AOHELL's trojanic software
    > will, most likely,require a complete format and reinstall.

    The microwave trick is a great way to erase any CD. It only
    takes about 10 seconds, just watch through the window and
    when the "dancing lights" max out, just turn it off.
    Careful, the CD will be HOT. After 15 seconds the CD will
    begin to melt and warp (and stink).

    "RobertVA" <robert_c72@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Disclaimer: Not responsable if microwave oven fails to
    operate properly
    | after this procedure!

    SNIP| >
    | > "If it hurts every time you poke yourself in the eye
    with a sharp stick
    | > (AOL), the obvious solution is to quit poking yourself
    in the eye with a
    | > sharp stick (AOL).
    | >
    | > If you absolutely MUST poke yourself in the eye with a
    sharp stick (AOL),
    | > then feel free to seek assistance from the maker of the
    sharp stick
    | > (AOL)."Alternatively, you may want to try the
    following: - 1) Take the
    | > AOHELL CD2) If you are old enough to drive, and have
    a licence, place it
    | > in themiddle of the drive and back over it several
    times.3) If you are
    | > not old enough to drive - or don't have a licence -
    placesaid CD in the
    | > microwave and cook on full power for a couple of
    minutes - itreally is
    | > fascinating, and most satisfying, to watch.4) Place
    resulting mess in the
    | > rubbish5) Pick up the phone, call AOHELL 'Customer
    Service' and tell them
    | > youwish to cancel your account. Don't, however tempting
    it might be, let
    | > them persuade you to stay with offers of 'free' months.
    6) Ask people for
    | > recommendations for a proper ISP.7) Call new ISP of
    choice and sign
    | > up.There! Problem solved.Unfortunately, removing
    AOHELL's trojanic software
    | > will, most likely,require a complete format and
    reinstall.

    That's what I'm thinking. Microsoft has their own IMs they want people
    to use. The way Microsoft applications use the registry that might be
    vulnerable to AOL's editing though.

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > I will standby what I said, always in cap for Christmas.

    I wasn't disagreeing with that. You made an error in punctuation while
    calling someone else out for not capitalizing "Christmas."

    I'll have to check on that, I have deleted and purged my
    newsgroups, so I don't have post to review.

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    Live Long and Prosper
    Jim Macklin

    Maybe that is changing.
    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    | > I will standby what I said, always in cap for Christmas.
    | >

    | I wasn't disagreeing with that. You made an error in
    punctuation while
    | calling someone else out for not capitalizing "Christmas."

    google is your best friend

    > I'll have to check on that, I have deleted and purged my
    > newsgroups, so I don't have post to review.
    >

    > --
    > Merry Christmas
    > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    > Live Long and Prosper
    > Jim Macklin

    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >
    > Maybe that is changing.
    > "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > | Jim Macklin wrote:
    > | > I will standby what I said, always in cap for Christmas.
    > | >

    > | I wasn't disagreeing with that. You made an error in
    > punctuation while
    > | calling someone else out for not capitalizing "Christmas."

    That is very true, most of living friends seem to be dying
    off. ;-)

    --
    | google is your best friend

    in message
    | > I'll have to check on that, I have deleted and purged my
    | > newsgroups, so I don't have post to review.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Merry Christmas
    | > Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    | > Live Long and Prosper
    | > Jim Macklin
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    | >
    | > Maybe that is changing.
    | > "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in
    message
    Christmas.

    | > | I wasn't disagreeing with that. You made an error in
    | > punctuation while
    | > | calling someone else out for not capitalizing
    "Christmas."

    Many thanks, all. Not one of you answered my question as to how to stop AIM
    from starting when I start OE.
    Couldn't you all simply say I don't know?

    "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever I start OE, AIM starts, too. I have unchecked the Start AOL box
    > in Options, but it still starts with OE.
    > How can I prevent this?
    > Thank you.

    Programs start because they are listed somewhere in one of
    the startup folders in All Users or User or are listed in
    Services,

    Right click on My Computer and select Manage, then select
    Services and Applications, find the AOL stuff and stop it
    then you can disable it.

    In the startup folders, check for and remove program
    references, Right click the START button and select Explore.
    Check for all startup folders under programs for each user
    account and the default accounts.

    --
    | Many thanks, all. Not one of you answered my question as
    to how to stop AIM
    | from starting when I start OE.
    | Couldn't you all simply say I don't know?
    |
    | "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > Whenever I start OE, AIM starts, too. I have unchecked
    the Start AOL box
    | > in Options, but it still starts with OE.
    | > How can I prevent this?
    | > Thank you.

    Thanks, Lee. That's the closest to help I received here.
    AIM does not start with Windows, only when I run OE, so the MSConfig route
    did not help.

    "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> not old enough to drive - or don't have a licence - placesaid CD in the
    >> microwave and cook on full power for a couple of minutes - itreally is
    >> fascinating, and most satisfying, to watch.4) Place resulting mess in
    >> the
    >> rubbish5) Pick up the phone, call AOHELL 'Customer Service' and tell
    >> them
    >> youwish to cancel your account. Don't, however tempting it might be, let
    >> them persuade you to stay with offers of 'free' months. 6) Ask people
    >> for
    >> recommendations for a proper ISP.7) Call new ISP of choice and sign
    >> up.There! Problem solved.Unfortunately, removing AOHELL's trojanic
    >> software
    >> will, most likely,require a complete format and reinstall.
    >> --
    >> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Try this, open AIM, look through its various menus for either options or
    preferences and see if it has one to start with OE. If it does, deselect
    it.

    If that doesn't work, try calling AOL tech support, the should know how to
    prevent this.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

> [...]
    >>> not old enough to drive - or don't have a licence - placesaid CD in the
    >>> microwave and cook on full power for a couple of minutes - itreally is
    >>> fascinating, and most satisfying, to watch.4) Place resulting mess in
    >>> the
    >>> rubbish5) Pick up the phone, call AOHELL 'Customer Service' and tell
    >>> them
    >>> youwish to cancel your account. Don't, however tempting it might be, let
    >>> them persuade you to stay with offers of 'free' months. 6) Ask people
    >>> for
    >>> recommendations for a proper ISP.7) Call new ISP of choice and sign
    >>> up.There! Problem solved.Unfortunately, removing AOHELL's trojanic
    >>> software
    >>> will, most likely,require a complete format and reinstall.
    >>> --
    >>> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling

AOL Microsoft Windows XP