Sign in with
Your question

moving HDD

Last response: in Storage
November 12, 2006 8:25:14 AM

hello everyone,i was wodering if anybody had come across this and hopefully the remedy.i have 2 pcs w/networked pc1 and pc2on both pcs i enabled file share, ide o.1 uses wstern digital WD2500JB-22G VCD. now here comes the problem.on pc2 the hdd was only 20gig so i tookmy 250gig and also the the prim master and swapped them with pc2.when i clik my computer, the wg200 is not listed. i tried re-boot, f2 auto but not detcted. i tried add hardware no joy,and if i go to disk management it shows up as foriegn disk. all my family movies from 23 years are stored on the hdd, so i am reluctant to try anything.can anyone help. ps. i can post screenshots if needed. jaasper :?

More about : moving hdd

November 12, 2006 9:25:31 AM

I'm afraid your post is too poorly written for me to be bothered to comprehend it.
November 12, 2006 10:10:11 AM

Quote:
I'm afraid your post is too poorly written for me to be bothered to comprehend it.

I second that emotion. Just looking at it makes me tired. :( 
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 12, 2006 11:23:38 AM

I'm assuming that english is not your first language.

From what you describe there could be several problems.

Was the disk that you transferred the system disk? i.e. was it the one with windows on? What version of windows is it? Was it passord protected for logon?

Can you put it back into your old machine?
November 12, 2006 11:29:29 AM

Stick the problem drive on the secondary channel to see if it's a faulty drive or just a jumper issue.

And please write clearer.
a b G Storage
November 12, 2006 11:31:59 AM

doh, never considered jumpers, was thinking windows 2000, and a password encrypted drive, but was first trying to get him accessing it again.

Note to self, test simple problems first.
November 12, 2006 1:44:35 PM

48-bit LBA registry key!
If your HD contained 137gig (or more) it's probably history.
November 12, 2006 2:17:57 PM

I cant believe how fast people are to be ass's.

Anyways would be helpfull to know the operating systems used on these systems. the motherboard or controler card used. 250 gig isnt supported by everything ;) 
November 13, 2006 9:25:35 AM

I would like to thank evferyone (oops sorry ethel) everyone who took the time to offer me help. :D . I rang an expert out of the local directory (£10). the problem was: the hdd was still set on share,so it was tryin to share with the pc it was in he unticked a box and tinkered about for a half hour.
As for you Ethel, if you would have waited for me to update my profile. (which i am not going to do now) you would see that i am Severely Disabled having very limited use with my limbs.it was reading that first and only comment that got me to pay £10 :(  i think they have special sites for people like you (busybodies). I needed experts or educated people,not some silly ex English literature teacher with nothing better to do. :twisted:. Enough on that i thought it only civil to let you good people know the end result. if the administrators wish to remove from there site, thats fine with me.I feel sorry for you having to put up with that negative clap trap.(sorry for that)once again Many Thanks to +contributors not -cons. jassper.
a b G Storage
November 13, 2006 9:37:00 AM

Glad you've got it fixed, sorry you had to spend cash on it, but I doubt anyone here woud have spotted that without having been able to physically touch the device and examine them in wndows. (I'm still not sure what the problem was as the solution does not make much sense to me, but it works and he only charged a tenner so he can't be very good at ripping people off if that is what he was doing.)

Apologies for the native english comment, it looked like a lot of the non-english speaker posts that we see, and there is no problem with that, it just means that patience and understanding (and an extra level of checking to make sure we are and have been understood) is required at our end.
November 13, 2006 11:54:16 AM

I can smell the BS from here ...
November 13, 2006 12:33:41 PM

Quote:
Glad you've got it fixed, sorry you had to spend cash on it, but I doubt anyone here woud have spotted that without having been able to physically touch the device and examine them in wndows. (I'm still not sure what the problem was as the solution does not make much sense to me, but it works and he only charged a tenner so he can't be very good at ripping people off if that is what he was doing.)

Apologies for the native english comment, it looked like a lot of the non-english speaker posts that we see, and there is no problem with that, it just means that patience and understanding (and an extra level of checking to make sure we are and have been understood) is required at our end.

I think the problem is people would rather forgo using common sense to understand something and blame something stupid like spelling and grammor to rate how smart you are. which only shows how little they know. Now dont start thinking im pointing fingers here im speaking generaly and ment for only the people who actualy think like that.
November 13, 2006 6:31:01 PM

I didn't say he was stupid, just that I couldn't be bothered to read his post because it was so poorly written.

That's what grammar is there for - to make it easy for others to comprehend what you are trying to put across. And if you're looking for help from others, isn't it only sensible to make an effort?
November 13, 2006 6:36:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't say he was stupid, just that I couldn't be bothered to read his post because it was so poorly written.

That's what grammar is there for - to make it easy for others to comprehend what you are trying to put across. And if you're looking for help from others, isn't it only sensible to make an effort?

If it bothers you so much it isnt worth reading then dont make a responce to it at all. I understood it perfectly only problem was there wasnt enough info to even go by. seriously people common sense is a powerfull tool.
November 13, 2006 6:37:54 PM

In that case, the better course of action is not to post at all. That will be even less bother for you, so we all win! :wink:
November 13, 2006 8:33:07 PM

Yeah, good point - I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't calling him stupid as was implied.

Anyway, at least I made an impact - his second post was easier to read than his first :lol: 
November 13, 2006 9:41:58 PM

If you mean me i wasnt implying anything it was just as i said a general statment.
November 14, 2006 10:22:53 AM

Good Morning everyone,or is it afternoon. its quite appararant that people like you ethel or is it (richard cranium)that you must go round all the new posts, and adding your little bit of mish mosh or in your words B.S. just so you get another brownie point.what has the world come to.enough for now. Because i can't work my digits like i used to,when i go on messenger i use my web-cam but i found that the audio was always lacking.anyway to cut a long story i have started to make my own mics for less than a fiver, you can whisper from about15 feet away and the test hadware meter flies into the red. with adaptor or 9V battery its so versatile.if anyone would like details.contact me (pm) or better still get me on messenger. :idea: right got to go now.catch you all again soon,hopefully
jas
November 14, 2006 1:04:45 PM

OK fair enough.
!