Help: Canon DR-5020 Can't locate SCSI device -(4536)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 6, 2005 10:33:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

I had this scanner working on my old computer (HP Pavilion 750 P4)
running WinXP SP2. I just purchased a newer faster computer P4 3.2GHZ
(also using WIn XP pro corp) and now the scanner will not work with any
WINDOWS applications EXCEPT Canon's Scan Utility 5000 (which they tell
me uses an ISIS driver). It does not even work with Canon's Paper
Capture.

To save money, the guy who built my computer used the same SCSI from
the old computer (which worked fine on that computer)

I was on the phone with Canon customer support for 30 mins and the best
they could come up with was I need a new SCSI cable. So I plan to buy
a new SCSI cable tonight just to rule that out but I think there is a
99% chance it still won't work (cable worked fine with old machine,
computer sees Scanner during boot up, and Scan Utility 5000 does work)

I reinstalled aspi471a2.exe from adaptec and ran aspichk.exe and get
the results:

ASPI32.SYS 4.71.2
WOWPOST.EXE 4.6 (1021)
WINASPI.DLL 4.6 (1021)
WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.2

I also reinstalled the TWAIN/ISIS drivers from Canon's web site while
on the phone with their tech support people but it made no difference.

The SCSI device is set to 6, which I am told is OK.

The new machine does have a SCSI RAID hard drive configuration.

When I go into Control Panel, Sytem, Hardware, Device Manager, the
scanner has a yelow question mark, but Canon tech support says this is
OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

John
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:54:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

"I reinstalled aspi471a2.exe from adaptec and ran aspichk.exe and get
the results:

ASPI32.SYS 4.71.2
WOWPOST.EXE 4.6 (1021)
WINASPI.DLL 4.6 (1021)
WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.2"

Are you saying that notwithstanding the foregoing, my ASPI layer is NOT
correctly installed?

Thanks

John
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 2:24:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried this and when windows XP tries to install the software, if i
select "search for driver automatically" it says it cannot find the
driver. If I select "search in a specific location", it won't install
because the Canon drives do not have a "*.inf" file.

When I had previously contacted tech support, they told me to select
"choose which driver to install and to install as an "unknown" device.
I tried this again, but I still have the same problem.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

John
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 5:37:57 AM

<john960bell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I tried this and when windows XP tries to install the software, if i
> select "search for driver automatically" it says it cannot find the
> driver. If I select "search in a specific location", it won't install
> because the Canon drives do not have a "*.inf" file.
>
> When I had previously contacted tech support, they told me to select
> "choose which driver to install and to install as an "unknown" device.
> I tried this again, but I still have the same problem.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

You have the ASPI installed and I think you said that XP installed the
driver for the SCSI card.

Did you find the software update and Twain Driver Version 1.87 for Windows
95, 98, ME,NT4.0, 2000 and XP?
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/download/dr5020.html

Maybe since this driver says it is for XP, it should install correctly.

There are two downloads here, it would be a good idea to download both,
whether you need both or not.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

I recently went through something similar (yellow splat in Device
Manager under SCSI & RAID Controllers) with my Microtek scanner on
XP/SP2. Microtek support suggested changing the the SCSI device number
on the scanner from 6 to 5 and reinstalling as per the earlier reply to
your question - I did and that worked.
!