Sonicwall / Watchguard / Fortinet

gf05856

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Dear,

I'm currently evaluating to buy a hardware firewall but also a wireless access point for home use including vpn possib.

As I do not trust the normal home made brands I would like to use something like Sonicwall / Watchguard or Fortinet as firewall protection. (I am not planning on paying 100$ per year for service & support)

Still it should also be possible to get 54/100 mbps out of my wifi installation.

These below got in my mind.

Firebox® X5w
The SonicWALL TZ 170 Series
FortiWifi 60A

Would it for example be possible to buy one of the above and buy an additional cheap Wireless G access point and connect it to a port that does not talk with the created lan but only goes to the wan (internet).

If later on Pre-N becomes N, then I just buy a new access point but with the same firewall.

Price range below 700$ (for the 2)

Our are the linksys / netgear etc ... also save to use.

And what about Cisco PIX 501 3DES Bundle, would this be good firewall to start with, can I connect then a cheap wireless access point to it only for accessing the internet?

Anyway how save are you actually with a branded firewall like Sonicwall / Watchguard or Fortinet

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If you are going that way, look at building you own with one of the unix/linux systems. All you need is a an old PC that is out dated and 2 nic cards. TomsNetworking covered several articles on how to do this. It is a simple install.