Symantec Liveupdate problem

I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get the
following message when I try to LiveUpdate:

LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec product
updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is functioning
correctly and retry LiveUpdate.

What settings should I check?
Running Windows XP Pro
Connection through modem at home. Single PC.

Thanks
Kate
15 answers Last reply
More about symantec liveupdate problem

    Kate wrote:
    > I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get the
    > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    >
    > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
    > LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec product
    > updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is functioning
    > correctly and retry LiveUpdate.
    >
    > What settings should I check?
    > Running Windows XP Pro
    > Connection through modem at home. Single PC.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kate

    Have had a zillion problems with Symantec software but they
    do have a way for you to interface with their Tech Support, via
    e-mail. They'll answer you within 2 days. May not solve
    the problem easily, but they'll stay with you. Start here:

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html

    Bill Lurie

    Your best bet is to completely remove the Symantec AV software. It is an
    obtrusive, confusing piece of "bloatware". Then download a good AV program
    such as AVG from Grisoft (www.grisoft.com). It is free, and works very well.

    "Kate" <katem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get
    >the
    > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    >
    > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
    > LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec
    > product
    > updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is functioning
    > correctly and retry LiveUpdate.
    >
    > What settings should I check?
    > Running Windows XP Pro
    > Connection through modem at home. Single PC.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kate

    Hi, Kate.

    Your time/date problem - which Happy mentioned - can cause the Live Update
    failure. Fix that, then post back if you still have a problem.

    Also, I note that the headers for your post includes this line:

    This indicates that you haven't been to Windows Update lately - maybe not
    ever! - and you may be much more at risk than necessary. That is the
    original version of OE6 with no updates. :>(

    You need to get SP2 installed. If you don't know how or why, please read
    here:
    Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Kate" <katem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get
    >the
    > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    >
    > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
    > LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec
    > product
    > updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is functioning
    > correctly and retry LiveUpdate.
    >
    > What settings should I check?
    > Running Windows XP Pro
    > Connection through modem at home. Single PC.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kate

    "Kate" <katem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get
    >the
    > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    >
    > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.

    ----snipped-----

    Hi Kate,

    Go here and d/l and then execute this update for the Live update software.
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html
    The file you want is: Release Date: December 15, 2004
    File: lusetup-lt.exe (1,934,880 bytes)

    Kate,
    Did you, in fact, open your Internet connection BEFORE you ran Live Update?
    Gene K

    Kate wrote:
    > I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get the
    > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    >
    > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
    > LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec product
    > updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is functioning
    > correctly and retry LiveUpdate.
    >
    > What settings should I check?
    > Running Windows XP Pro
    > Connection through modem at home. Single PC.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kate

    Kate,
    Make sure you are connected to the Internet, then visit this site:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/:.
    Gene K

    Kate wrote:
    > I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get the
    > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    >
    > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
    > LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec product
    > updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is functioning
    > correctly and retry LiveUpdate.
    >
    > What settings should I check?
    > Running Windows XP Pro
    > Connection through modem at home. Single PC.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kate

    Never had a problem with Norton AV software, ever.....

    Fortunately I have a PC that doesn't tend to grumble at me if I try anything
    with it, on the grounds it's very up to date with memory and processor.

    Also, I have to say it's not that confusing. I'm running Norton 2004. Insert
    CD, la la la, next, next, next, enter details, next, next, finish.

    Liveupdate similarly..... next next next finish.

    What's so difficult?

    Granted I'd use Panda over it any day but it does the job, and it does the
    job well.....

    Volvos, for a metaphorical example, are reliable cars with everything you
    could want, but they eat petrol and cost you an arm and a leg to service,
    maintain, fix, run, tax and insure but you don't see people grumbling over
    that do you?

    No, because they do what they're supposed to do, go forwards, backwards,
    left, right and take you where you want to go, when you want to go there.

    Norton - stops viruses getting onto your computer because it's an anti virus
    program. I'd rather have a program that used a bit more resources, than have
    viruses on my computer making it a complete and utter mess, using my
    resouorces without my knowing about it, and infiltrating files I don't want
    it to see.....

    Anyway. Kate? What connection are you running from? If it's a 56k connection
    it may just be having a few issues.

    Do you have a firewall up that could possibly be preventing Symantec's
    servers seending you information back?

    "Papa" wrote:

    > Your best bet is to completely remove the Symantec AV software. It is an
    > obtrusive, confusing piece of "bloatware". Then download a good AV program
    > such as AVG from Grisoft (www.grisoft.com). It is free, and works very well.
    >
    > "Kate" <katem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get
    > >the
    > > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    > >
    > > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
    > > LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec
    > > product
    > > updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is functioning
    > > correctly and retry LiveUpdate.
    > >
    > > What settings should I check?
    > > Running Windows XP Pro
    > > Connection through modem at home. Single PC.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Kate

    Another good place to start is to correct the date / time on your unit.
    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > Your best bet is to completely remove the Symantec AV software. It is an
    > obtrusive, confusing piece of "bloatware". Then download a good AV program
    > such as AVG from Grisoft (www.grisoft.com). It is free, and works very
    well.

    > "Kate" <katem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get
    > >the
    > > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    > >
    > > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
    > > LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec
    > > product
    > > updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is functioning
    > > correctly and retry LiveUpdate.
    > >
    > > What settings should I check?
    > > Running Windows XP Pro
    > > Connection through modem at home. Single PC.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Kate

    Hey, Pop, your advice is probably very sound, but old habits are
    hard to break. I've used Norton products since they first came
    out, over ten years ago, and they have served me well and
    protected me well. Like, it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maybe
    somebody else doesn't do as good a job of grabbing every new
    virus and worm and automatically protect me against it.

    But on the other hand, when they go bad, they ARE a royal pain
    in the posterior. It's kind of a case of sticking with the
    devil I know, rather than trying some new devil.

    Bill L.

    "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Never had a problem with Norton AV software, ever.....

    Then you are one of the fortunate few.

    I had that problem and went to the symantec site and updated from there and
    it seemed to fix the problem.They have a list of errors and fixes for them.
    One was the solution for the error unable to update through Live Update.
    Hope this helps you.

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > Another good place to start is to correct the date / time on your unit.
    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    >> Your best bet is to completely remove the Symantec AV software. It is an
    >> obtrusive, confusing piece of "bloatware". Then download a good AV
    >> program
    >> such as AVG from Grisoft (www.grisoft.com). It is free, and works very
    > well.
    >>
    >> "Kate" <katem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get
    >> >the
    >> > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    >> >
    >> > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
    >> > LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec
    >> > product
    >> > updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is
    >> > functioning
    >> > correctly and retry LiveUpdate.
    >> >
    >> > What settings should I check?
    >> > Running Windows XP Pro
    >> > Connection through modem at home. Single PC.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Kate

    There ARE others of use that have no problem with Norton AV. I have
    version 2002, 2003 and 2005 on my PCs at home. All installed without
    any problem, have caught and eradicated virus's and update without any
    problem.

    To the OP, I assume that you can access the internet without problem.
    I have had your problem when my net connection was down.

    > "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Never had a problem with Norton AV software, ever.....
    >
    > Then you are one of the fortunate few.

    Sorry, do not categorize us as "fortunate few". Replace few with many,
    many, many, etc,.
    Gene K

    In article <cq8vj8$mdg$1@otis.netspace.net.au>, "Kate" <katem@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get the
    >following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    >
    >LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.

    This is discussed on the Symantec web site. I had the same problem and one of
    the suggestions seemed to cure the malady. I believe in my case it was the
    deletion of a specific file. This is probably too long a URL to successfully
    appear:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.
    nsf/d3c44a1678bd8f45852566aa005902cb/04c2ba190354f623852569a70069150b?
    OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    but you can go to the Symantec data base, and enter the quoted search string
    "Liveupdate could not retrieve" and get the article.

    Art

    Overview: Grisoft(AVG)
    Result summary: 6 passes / 20 fails
    Performance graph: - Success / Failure / No Entry
    Vendor website: http://www.grisoft.com
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

    The Virus Bulletin
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

    ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml

    AV-Test
    http://www.av-test.org/

    Cf. http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > Your best bet is to completely remove the Symantec AV software. It is an
    > obtrusive, confusing piece of "bloatware". Then download a good AV program
    > such as AVG from Grisoft (www.grisoft.com). It is free, and works very
    well.

    > "Kate" <katem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v8 on my PC am get
    > >the
    > > following message when I try to LiveUpdate:
    > >
    > > LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates.
    > > LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec
    > > product
    > > updates.Please check that your connection to the Internet is functioning
    > > correctly and retry LiveUpdate.
    > >
    > > What settings should I check?
    > > Running Windows XP Pro
    > > Connection through modem at home. Single PC.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Kate

Connection Symantec Microsoft Windows XP