Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE HELP ME. what psu for am2 mobo

Last response: in Components
November 12, 2006 1:37:06 PM

my bro is having trouble on a home build. he bought case with this psu 'atx-450jsp'. it is 450w, atx. will it work for a athlon 64 3500+, asrock nf4g AM2 mobo, 80gb hdd, dvd-rom, and a gig of ddr2 ram (2x512mb).

a simple pc but when powered up 1st time nothing happens.

please help.

ashm4n

More about : psu am2 mobo

November 12, 2006 4:02:54 PM

So this is the psu?

Quote:
eurocase.cz's ATX-450JSP"]
[code:1:776931960e]Output + 3.3V +5V +12V - 5V -12V +5V SB
Max Load (A) 26 28 30 0.3 0.8 2
Max Load (W) 450W[/code:1:776931960e]
[/url]

Even w/ the max ratings it should handle 300w without an issue, and you are not even close.

Quote:
PSU calc"]System Type: Single Processor
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2200 MHz AM2 Orleans
CPU Utilization (TDP): 100% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Video Type: Single Card

IDE HDD 7200 rpm: 1 HDD

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

Fans
Regular: 2 Fans 80mm;

Motherboard, keyboard and mouse: Yes

PSU Utilization: 100 %

Total: 192 Watts

© 2004 - 2006 OuterVision.com and it's licensors. All rights reserved.
[/url]

The first thing I would do is test the PSU standalone using these steps, then go from there...
November 13, 2006 10:02:43 AM

what i meant was that nothing is appearing on screen upon first start up. this is a new build and usually text appears on screen asking to input disks for drivers and stuff.
is the psu not compatible (amount of pins) for the AM2 mobo? this is my problem.
any assistence would be great.

i know i have enough power for 2 hdd's and a £150 gpu, 8gig ram and a tv card, but thats not what im asking.

any help?
Related resources
November 13, 2006 11:25:04 AM

Is this your mobo?

Quote:
asrock ALiveNF4G-DVI"]
- 20 pin ATX power connector
- 4 pin 12V power connector
[/url]

It appears to have a 20-pin ATX and a 4-pin CPU connector. According to the PSU link

Quote:
eurocase.cz ATX-450JSP"]Number of supply connectors

ATX 20pin x 1, ATX 12V x 1,FDD 2x,
HDD, CD ROM and the like 6x, SERIAL ATA
[/url]

Looks like a perfect match. since you missed my PSU standalone troublshooting steps link in my previous post, here it is

Quote:
doolittle"]Another thing you can do is test the PSU independently from the motherboard / cpu / gpu by removing those connectors, connecting some hdd / dvd / cd drives / fans then "jump start" the PSU by simulating the "power_on" motherboard signal by shunting the "PS_ON" green wire to ground via a paper clip or something - then plugging the unit in and powering the rear switch on...

Here is an example of the atx jumper:

It should fire up the PSU and stay on, the drives should be spinning and the cd/dvd should be able to eject. You *have* to have at least one hdd or cd/dvd drive connected to act as a "pull-up" load to power the unit on. If you have a voltmeter you can test voltages. If the PSU can't stay on it could be a defective unit.

If it's working well, then you can start the bare-bones "mobo / cpu / GPU mem / speaker & power-on header only" config with nothing else connected and see if it able to POST and get video, or beep codes or something. Makes troubleshooting easy at this point...
[/url]
November 14, 2006 4:17:43 PM

If you wind up looking for a new PSU take a look at the Hiper Modular Type-R 580W Power Supply. Works rock steady on my Asus AM2 board plus it's modular so you can keep the clutter down
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 14, 2010 8:28:02 PM

but what if nothing comes up on the screeen. but everything welse turns on
a b ) Power supply
August 15, 2010 9:52:00 PM

are you using onboard video or an extra video card?
a b ) Power supply
August 15, 2010 10:58:10 PM

Most displays say something like "No Input" if they do not get a signal from the computer (many go to sleep shortly afterwards) if your displays doesnt show anything at all I would make sure it actually works as the first step.

I'll also assume this is a used board, please be sure to clear the cmos as the second troubleshooting step.

Lastly, I'd suggest looking up your specific CPU on the suppoprt list. You may have a cpu requiring a bios update - which you can't do unless you put in another cpu that doesnt need the update....
http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=ALiveNF4G-DVI
!