Sign in with
Your question

To Buy The 8800gts now or Wait for the R600?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

To Buy The 8800gts now or Wait for the R600?

Total: 89 votes

• Get the 8800gts now
  • 25 %
  • Wait for the R600
  • 76 %
November 12, 2006 3:54:41 PM

Ok right i'v got a X1800 at the moment and am thinking of upgrading to a DX10 card but i dont know weather to buy a 8800gts now or wait until ati bring out the R600. Any advice? :?:

(this has probably been asked befor but went trough alf of the posts but couldent find enything)

More about : buy 8800gts wait r600

November 12, 2006 4:01:12 PM

Well, it really depends on your personal preferences. Do you feel like you can wait some more, or do you need the cutting-edge performance right away?

Right now I could probably upgrade to something but I'm waiting for a DX10 card in the $200 range (like an 8600GT) to come out.

Wait for as long as you can, really. ATi might have something really good stirring up in their labs.
November 12, 2006 4:01:18 PM

patience is a virtue....
Related resources
November 12, 2006 4:02:06 PM

If you need an upgrade now, then go for it.
November 12, 2006 4:26:38 PM

wait for the 8900s to come out and some r600 specs when the 8900 and r600s go to war, see which one wins, if nvidia, then get the 8900 or if ati, then get the r600 i personally hope nvidia wins i dislike ati, and canada, just like how i dislike AMD and hope the qx6700 beats AMDs 4x4 thats my 2 bits
November 12, 2006 4:31:46 PM

If your current games are running fine, what's the hurry to upgrade?
November 12, 2006 4:55:41 PM

My thoughts exactly, i have a x1800xt 512mb right now and i can run 2142 @ 1680x1050 on high settings with no problem, granted oblivion and other games are more demanding, i don't plan on upgrading till games i play start to get choppy at my monitors resolution, i don't see why you would want to upgrade unless a game is unplayable, and of all things the prices on the GTX/S are no going to go up, only down so why buy it when there at such a premium. Don't fall for the hype, your card is good enough for now
November 12, 2006 5:09:57 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly, i have a x1800xt 512mb right now and i can run 2142 @ 1680x1050 on high settings with no problem, granted oblivion and other games are more demanding, i don't plan on upgrading till games i play start to get choppy at my monitors resolution, i don't see why you would want to upgrade unless a game is unplayable, and of all things the prices on the GTX/S are no going to go up, only down so why buy it when there at such a premium. Don't fall for the hype, your card is good enough for now
For me, the next game my system is really going to have trouble with is UT2007 or Crysis, and by the time that's released the R600 and G80 refresh should be available giving me a larger selection in the high end graphics market. At the moment, the 8800GTX just isn't worth it to me as my monitor is also a 1680x1050.
November 12, 2006 5:41:40 PM

I will get new everything. So I am waiting until I can play DX10 64bit Crysis at 2560x1600 no less.
But yes, I agree. I need a larger selection of high-end cards.
I don't buy new systems often, so I want something that will last a while.
Still waiting to upgrade my AGP card. Humm, dee, humm.
November 12, 2006 5:56:43 PM

Quote:
wait for the 8900s to come out and some r600 specs when the 8900 and r600s go to war, see which one wins, if nvidia, then get the 8900 or if ati, then get the r600 i personally hope nvidia wins i dislike ati, and canada, just like how i dislike AMD and hope the qx6700 beats AMDs 4x4 thats my 2 bits

why do you dislike ATI and AMD so much and whats wrong with Canada what have they ever done to you?
November 12, 2006 6:14:51 PM

Quote:

why do you dislike ATI and AMD so much and whats wrong with Canada what have they ever done to you?

Hahahaha, I think it was Jon Stewart that said "How can you hate Canada, that's like saying you hate.....toast"
November 12, 2006 6:27:54 PM

Quote:
... i personally hope nvidia wins i dislike ati, and canada, just like how i dislike AMD...

I myself like Nvidia and Intel over ATI and AMD...
and I am a Canadian...

but what did Canada ever do to you to make you dislike the country...
November 12, 2006 8:13:30 PM

I'm going to be building a new kickass system this coming June or July (depending on hardware offerings by then). $3,500 budget, so I'm just going to wait till then. I think you guys need to set a date and then buy stuff instead of waiting for the next big thing.
November 12, 2006 8:27:07 PM

Quote:
Ok right i'v got a X1800 at the moment and am thinking of upgrading to a DX10 card but i dont know weather to buy a 8800gts now or wait until ati bring out the R600. Any advice? :?:

(this has probably been asked befor but went trough alf of the posts but couldent find enything)

wait until r600 to see the benchies, then choose which one is $/performance
November 12, 2006 8:45:33 PM

It's going to hurt to for ATI R600 since, with the 8800 there's no game that fully take advantage of it's powerful GPU and besides with it gives you better choice.
November 12, 2006 8:54:52 PM

Quote:
It's going to hurt to for ATI R600 since, with the 8800 there's no game that fully take advantage of it's powerful GPU and besides with it gives you better choice.

Depends what you're currently running and planning to play over xmas to decide if you can wait long enough for the R600.

ATI isn't even an option for me anyway as their Linux drivers are so crappy.
November 12, 2006 9:38:40 PM

Quote:

Right now I could probably upgrade to something but I'm waiting for a DX10 card in the $200 range (like an 8600GT) to come out.

Wait for as long as you can, really. ATi might have something really good stirring up in their labs.

Me too. I've put off buying a new system until january.
I won't even have time for games till then :lol:  ( :cry:  )
November 12, 2006 9:51:48 PM

If you're a student, or otherwise have a few weeks to burn on video games before Feburary, get the 8800. If not, wait and see.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2006 10:01:33 PM

Agree with you, Im quite happy with the December date I set, new mobo are coming out wich is nice, but un-fortunately can't wait for R600 =(
November 12, 2006 10:33:26 PM

Direct X 10 aint even out yet so why not wait for a newer and probably better version from AMD/ATI

Its like when AMD released 64 bits when they aren't even used yet and then came out a better and cheaper version in C2D a year after..

but incase you only have Geforce 4 or 5 now and you suddenly had the money for the highest end of video card.. then why not buy 8800.. its good and its the best for now anyway
November 12, 2006 10:49:22 PM

Unless you need a new video card at this very moment, wait until the R600 comes out. Then you'll see some benchmarks and make an intelligent choice. Also, the 8800 prices may fall when there's some competition. The 8800 may increase your frame rates at the moment, but won't be able to demonstrate how good it really is until DX10 comes out and some real DX10 games appear. By that time, the R600 will be out and then you can make an intelligetn choice based upon price and performance, instead of being caught up on hype.

Similar to Numerorlord, I plan on build on building in the spring, using Vista from scratch (no upgrade from XP) and getting the best parts I can at that time. I figure a budget between $3500-$4000 when I do it. Then I can schedual some talks with a therapist about my computer addiction.
November 13, 2006 3:11:57 AM

Quote:

@ Zeal(ot)

any paticular reason? Or just blind stupidity?
November 13, 2006 3:19:03 AM

LMAO
November 13, 2006 3:48:12 AM

Im personally waiting to see how R600 does against the 8800, and boy will this be interesting, i would already have a 8800 but i just dropped $400 on a new water cooling setup and dont have but $175 left over so it is time to start saving once again for 1-2 years from now once DX10 is nicely established and i can drop 3k in a new rig:D  cus my current rig will do fine for now, hell my X850XT @600/1200 eats up BF2142 with ease.
November 13, 2006 4:57:20 AM

I will wait for the ATI card, perhaps it will run cooler, and have a smaller size, then the skateboard, i mean video card nVidia released.
November 13, 2006 4:59:47 AM

you know what they say, it's not the size that matters :wink:
November 13, 2006 5:46:32 AM

why u guys hatin? thats just how i feel, imo Canada needs to grow some balls and become a real nation, i mean at this point in time France has more balls then Canada, and China too, the red star that just sat there has more balls, Canada is a sitting duck... and dont quote me on the balls things, it's veterans day weekend and i just got back from the best BBQ ever so i can't really make a valid argument, too my corona filling up my brain...now the reason i hate ATI is because forever they've been braggin about, WE HAVE THE FASTER CARD etc etc, but every time when i compared nvidia to ATI graphics in my personal experience the nvidia looked way better, it was basically quality over quantity maybe i when alil over board with the i hate Canada thing, sorry haha
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2006 6:44:02 AM

Quote:

First question; Why do you want to upgrade?

If you want better performance, then yeah get the GF8800GTS, but wait until the price goes down.

If you just want a DX10 card, then wait until you know what works best.

IMO, if you want to improve your gaming and wanna spend the money then get a GF8800GTS in about a week once prices drop from launch prices, and then sell it once the R6 series comes out if they're better, and if they're not then you got to game with the GTS for a few extra months. You are unlikely to lose too much of your investment (IMO up to 20%), and it will allow you to enjoy better performance for the time being.

Of course if you're happy with your current gaming, then wait 'til you feel comfortable with your upgrade options.

I prefer the uby a GTS, and then re-sell it solution, but it's not a simple question/answer IMO.
November 13, 2006 8:02:55 AM

whilst the card seems all powerful now it would seem a bit risky to buy it for dx 10 purposes as no benchmarks have been seen (at least i havnt seen any yet) regarding its performance using DX10 and we are unlikely to see any until crysis ut2007 or alan wake is released the screens that show off dx10 are very impressive but we do not know yet how much more intensive they are over dx9 i would and am personally waiting for the r600/8900 along with some benches to see which is better.

for now my 6800gt is running fine @1680x1050 so i have no plans on an immediate upgrade maybe 6 months down the line ill build myself a new dx10 quad core super mega ultra box once iknow what exactly my money is buying me
November 13, 2006 8:22:28 AM

I'd definatly say wait, an X1800 should be more than enough to handle games over the chistmas holidays and all you stand to get from waiting is gain, more choice(R600) better prices(hopefully a little bit) and possibly a new revision for nvidia (maybe)

Course if you have heaps of spare cash then go the GTX but I'd say in terms of value wait with what you've got, I would if I was in your place...unfortunatly I have a 9600xt and am looking to get a 24" monitor so waiting isn't really an option for me :p 
November 13, 2006 9:04:18 AM

Where's the "neither, let's see how good R600 is before making the decision" option?
November 13, 2006 9:29:59 AM

Is that before or after you build your brother's new 'go to college' PC?
November 13, 2006 10:07:44 AM

Hey nVidia video card are not skatebords!

My personal opinion: I buy only nVidia videocard, I don't like ATI (@artminc: sucker!)

If you can... remove ATI from your mind!
November 13, 2006 2:29:04 PM

Quote:
Hey nVidia video card are not skatebords!

My personal opinion: I buy only nVidia videocard, I don't like ATI (@artminc: sucker!)

If you can... remove ATI from your mind!

I buy the best available products at the time of my purchase :) 
I don't care if it is ATI/nVidia, Intel/AMD, as long as it is fast, i will get it
November 13, 2006 2:46:56 PM

Quote:
why u guys hatin? thats just how i feel, imo Canada needs to grow some balls and become a real nation, i mean at this point in time France has more balls then Canada, and China too, the red star that just sat there has more balls, Canada is a sitting duck...

I guess you talking about balls because the Canadians didn’t support Bush with the Iraq war…

Balls? where are the balls for the USA in going to war in Iraq? Saddam didn’t have anything to do with 9/11, nor any sheep-loving terrorists. Lol There wasn’t any reason to be there except for Oil, and Israel.

Balls? You think the American government has any? They had warning about 9/11, and didn’t bother to do anything about it. It is the same with Pearl Harbor, they knew it, but didn’t stop it. Serves a purpose you know. Greed.

Balls? Why is the USA a world cop? unless it is asked to help, why waste money and lives on stupid wars?

I wish the USA was more like Canada, instead of a non-thinking, Gun-Ho, out of control corrupt Empire, which is slowly crumbling inside out. I guess you got brainwashed into hating Canada, and not to use the word "French” when you order "Fries"

Watch some Lou Dobbs on CNN, to see how the government is screwing everyone ;)  and stop watching FOX News..
November 13, 2006 3:21:32 PM

Quote:
why u guys hatin? thats just how i feel, imo Canada needs to grow some balls and become a real nation, i mean at this point in time France has more balls then Canada, and China too, the red star that just sat there has more balls, Canada is a sitting duck...

I guess you talking about balls because the Canadians didn’t support Bush with the Iraq war…

Balls? where are the balls for the USA in going to war in Iraq? Saddam didn’t have anything to do with 9/11, nor any sheep-loving terrorists. Lol There wasn’t any reason to be there except for Oil, and Israel.

Balls? You think the American government has any? They had warning about 9/11, and didn’t bother to do anything about it. It is the same with Pearl Harbor, they knew it, but didn’t stop it. Serves a purpose you know. Greed.

Balls? Why is the USA a world cop? unless it is asked to help, why waste money and lives on stupid wars?

I wish the USA was more like Canada, instead of a non-thinking, Gun-Ho, out of control corrupt Empire, which is slowly crumbling inside out. I guess you got brainwashed into hating Canada, and not to use the word "French” when you order "Fries"

Watch some Lou Dobbs on CNN, to see how the government is screwing everyone ;)  and stop watching FOX News..

Hey if you Canadians wanna invade and conquer USA, us Europeans (except probably the French) are right behind you :lol: 
November 13, 2006 3:45:26 PM

Quote:
why u guys hatin?

I'm guessing it was because of your stupid comment...

Let's keep the country hating comments off the boards and stick to hardware, eh fellowes?
Leave the petty attempts to incite hatred with irrelevant nationalism to Kinney... :p 

As for buy 8800, or wait for R600, that's simple:

- If you want the best performance right now, get the 8800

- If you have a decent videocard and want to buy for future Dx10 games, you're crazy not to wait AT LEAST until vista. And waiting to see what R600 can do wouldn't hurt either.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2006 4:09:58 PM

By balls you mean invading another country?

Canada has balls, it allow Gay marriage.

Oh and Canada hates you too...
November 13, 2006 4:58:01 PM

Quote:

Hey if you Canadians wanna invade and conquer USA, us Europeans (except probably the French) are right behind you :lol: 

What do you mean "except the French"? They'd surrender early, then roll in after it was all over and claim all the credit for the victory....
November 13, 2006 5:06:44 PM

I have just a X1600 and I'm waiting. Your card is certainly strong enough to last 2 months, so why pay top dollar to buy now. Wait for the performance reviews of ATI vs. nV and then decide. You'll also have the advantage of any possible price drop, and a much fuller line up of cards.
November 13, 2006 6:00:02 PM

Quote:

Don't you require three bits to express that opinion? In other words:

[code:1:487055c0b4]
000 = dislike_ATI | dislike_Canada | dislike_AMD;
[/code:1:487055c0b4]

Or are you using some kind of fuzzy logic?
November 13, 2006 8:55:41 PM

Quote:

Don't you require three bits to express that opinion? In other words:

[code:1:a7ccf70b3c]
000 = dislike_ATI | dislike_Canada | dislike_AMD;
[/code:1:a7ccf70b3c]

Or are you using some kind of fuzzy logic?

nice. the problem remains, Zeal is still an idiot and that doesnt seem to be changing soon. lay off the booze pal, your posts are dumb enough without you drinking.
November 14, 2006 2:35:54 AM

Quote:
nice. the problem remains, Zeal is still an idiot and that doesnt seem to be changing soon. lay off the booze pal, your posts are dumb enough without you drinking.

it's funny raven, i gave my opinion on ATI, AMD, and Canada, and im considered stupid?

so what if i dont like canada, support the war on iraq(for whatever reason), and dislike ati because of personal experiences?

i told u guys my opinions on different thing, the only thing u guys saw was OMG HE DISLIKES CANADA

thats sad, instead of arguing points you guys make fun of me

this was an opinion poll, i gave my opinion on ATI, and abit more, last time i give my opinion

it's funny i didn't try to enforce my views on u, i just expressed how i feel yet all of u call me stupid and try to enforce ur views on me and attack my views...
a c 359 U Graphics card
November 14, 2006 3:03:08 AM

Wait for R600. It might perform better. But more importantly competition should bring down prices.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2006 4:06:20 AM

Your opinion where backed up by stupid comments, kinda make them stupid.

Quote:
but every time when i compared nvidia to ATI graphics in my personal experience the nvidia looked way better

And you're personal experience seams to be lacking from that statement.

Fx series vs 9700/9800, no brainer, X850XTPE vs 6800U, X850 has the edge, X1950XTX vs 7900 , X1950 has the edge(7950GX is a great card but a dual PCB and came after...)

So yeah a newbie with radical few expressing his political preferences is usually not welcome in a hardware forum, next you'll probably make comments on different races/ethnics.
November 14, 2006 4:23:20 AM

u r truly retarded... just because i didn't say my experiences... doesn't mean they are not valid... when i went to boarding school i was in 1 house with 9 other computer enthusiasts there were fights about intel vs amd nvidia vs ati all day long, we settled battles not by arguments but by results and not from those paid benchmark results, we each built different systems and the Nvidia + intel systems looks way better then any of the ATI systems intel or AMD... all 9, by the time i left that school agreed nvidia is a more professional more reliable more experienced VGA accelerator chip development company and like i said... don't insult me because of my political views, if u have something to say about my views say it, but if it's towards me, and u IDIOTS dont know me... dont say anything
November 14, 2006 10:12:11 AM

And if you were able to produce better results out of the Intel/NV as opposed to the AMD/ATI system and before the C2D and 8800GTX hit shelves - then your capability to fully exploit your hardware is worse than I imagened.

Because I've yet to see a Pentium D/ NV combination completely outperform an X2(am2)/ATI platform.

About your views and yourself; thats quite simple, I"m sticking with idiocy.
Your opinion on a graphics solution was based on A) shotty "systems" you built and the disliking of a country. This in itself qualifies and validates everything I've said. Basically its senseless to argue with you, so I'll leave it at that.
November 14, 2006 12:31:15 PM

Quote:

it's funny raven, i gave my opinion on.. Canada, and im considered stupid?

Yep.

Saying you hate an entire nation on a hardware forum definitely gets my vote for stupid.

Apparently, others fell similarly...

It's official, Zeal. You're a twit.
November 14, 2006 12:46:29 PM

Quote:
Wait for R600. It might perform better. But more importantly competition should bring down prices.

I kind of was an NVIDIA fan boy for a while since all I have ever owned has been voodoo/nvidia graphics cards. I am willing to try an ATi card for the first time and I think I will wait for th R600 in January.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2006 2:51:21 PM

I am sure you guys are much better bencher then those paid benchmark.

Anyway I seem to have managed to piss you off, and I am pretty happy 8)

Quote:
don't insult me because of my political views, if u have something to say about my views say it, but if it's towards me, and u IDIOTS dont know me... dont say anything

That didn't make much sens, and why wouldn't I insult you because of your political view, you insulted me because I was born in Canada, I really don't see why I shouldn't insult you....

Can we change the poll because I backup Raven: Idiocy is the proper term.
!