What type of fan would I benefit from most?

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have never built a computer so I have never been to interested in cooling because all of my computers have been pre-built. I just built my computer and I am using a Core 2 Duo 6400 and I want to overclock it, a lot. But I think for some reason my temperatures may be a little hot. According to Core Temp v.93 my cpu temp is 55-57 degrees under load. And that is with me using a scythe infinity cooler with an upgraded fan. Getting to the point, I think because of the large size of my scythe infinity cooler it is cutting off my exhaust fan and that is why my cpu is so hot. Would it be better if I installed a new exhaust fan with a higher rpm, new intake fans with higher rpms, or an exhaust fan installed in an expansion slot, or any other type of fan that I haven't mentioned. As an experiment, I took off my case side panel and my temperature dropped 10 degrees. Does this happen with everyone or is it just me because I have terrible air flow or something?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Does this happen with everyone or is it just me because I have terrible air flow or something?
Thats definetly more than what ive regulary seen when the side panel is off.

What fan are you using with the Scythe? Wich direction is it blowing?

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Due to the fact that my scythe is right next to my exhaust fan I decided against having the fan right next to my exhaust fan. So I think that my heatsink fan is blowing through the heatstink, towards the back of my case and to the exhaust fan. If you don't understand what I said, try to imagine this. Starting from the back of my case, first there is my exhaust fan, then my heatsink, then my heatsink fan. The fanI am using is the Antec TriCool fan.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Try resetting it and reapplying the thermal paste, put it under load for some hours and then turn it off to cool it down to help it 'cure' faster.
Remmber that >75c under load are safe temps, but since youre running stock speed and voltage they should be much lower than that.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Long story, but after many mistakes with my arctic silver, I used it, all of it. I don't think that I could do any better with the arctic silver. Also I have only had my computer working for 2 or 3 days. I heard somewhere that it took 72 hours for arctic silver to reach maximum something. I believe this has something to do with curing. Since it hasn't been 72 hours and I don't think my comp cured yet, does that mean that my cpu will get cooler due to curing?
I would just like to add that I have just read that core temp is a new program and reads the temps from the hottest part of the core. I am guessing that all of my cpu reading programs are reading the correct temps just from different parts of the cpu. So what I am trying to say is when comparing my cpu temp to someone that doesn't have core temp I should add 10 degrees due to the fact that core temp reads a hotter temp than other programs such as speedfan.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Curing will only drop the load temps by 2-3 degrees, maybe 4C at most. Hot/cold cycles cure the AS5 fastest.

By the sound of things, you do not have sufficient case airflow if the side panel removed drops temps 10C.

Can you turn up the fan speeds of your intake/exhaust at all? Your total exhaust should be higher than your total intake CFM. Keep in mind your PSU probably expels some air too, so if you have two equal CFM fans as intake/exhaust your overall exhaust will be greater than your overall intake, which is ideal.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
That's not right, I mean I have used a Thermaltake Big Typhoon that is slightly lower performance than the Infinity to a much hotter overclocked 840. Still I get 55c full load with 1.45v at 3.8Ghz. Something is not right with your cooler. That or it's reading the temps wrong.

Okay touch the cpu cooler at 57c as you have mentioned. If the cpu cooler is hot then it's hot, at 57c it should be a bit painful to the touch. So if the cpu cooler is hot then it's not getting enough cool air. You should get a better fan like FM121, 2 of them one the front and one in the back of the cpu cooler blowing air directly to the exhaust fan and out of the case. And you can modify the side panel and go ahead install another FM121 and place it directly between the cpu cooler and ram. That way there's more cool air getting directed to the cpu cooler and help cool down the temps.

But before you do this, reset the cpu cooler and use Arctic Silver 5, thin and uniform.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Currently the arctic silver is on pretty well. I followed exactly what the instructions said and I am pretty sure that I put it on well. For some reason my top load temps are now about 52-54 degrees. Also when I touch my heatsink it feels a little warm. In no way at all is it hot. I had felt my heatsink when I was getting 57 degrees and it was just as cool. What does all of this mean? This is leaving me very frustrated.