Hate to do this but... what are your thoughts on this system

pert_of_jb

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
Hey

After trying to find out which PC manufacturer was better I came to the conclusion that building your own PC is more fun and generally cheaper. I am not that knowledgeable about computer hardware, I have experience with installing upgrades to my current PC but alot of the techincal info I am really not sure about.

I have come up with the following systm, mainly on recommendations from PC mags / forums etc. But i would really like a 3rd party to give some opinions on it.

Case: Antec P180
Motherboard: Asus P5B-Delux WIFI AP
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
RAM: Corsair Memory TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2x1GB
Power Supply: Seasonic S12-600
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Harddisk: Western Digital Cavier 250GB WD2500KS
Graphics: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI TVO
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Drives: LG GSA-H10NSBB 16x DVD+/-RW IDE + maybe a 2nd

One thing I really had no idea about was the RAM, so i just randomly picked from a recommendation in the PC mag, also do I need any extra cooling, any extra power etc?

Thanks very much in advance

Rup

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
If you don't OC, you don't need aftermarket cooling.

I no longer offer PSU recommendation, but you (should) be fine.

The rest of it looks good, have fun.

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
What are you using this computer for?

Do you plan on gaming, just surfing the net, or what? Downloading music or videos?

It will help when offering advice...

On the whole though your system looks sound...

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
All your components are overkill....

The P180 case....one large ass computer case
The P5B Deluxe/Wifi....great mobo....the only item i probably would not change
The e6700....mucho overkill....i found the e6300 to be sufficient, even for transcoding
The Corsair memory....i have learn from experience memory doesn't have to be brand name to work....cheap memory works just as fine
The Arctic Cooling HSF....not needed, Intel HSF is pretty damn good
The Seasonic PSU....600Watts?....even with your current configuration you only need 400Watts
The WD HD....currently the most cost effect drive is the Seagate 320GB 7200.10
The EVGA graphics card....overkill...the 7600GT is all you'll ever need.
The Creative sound card....not needed....onboard mobo hd audio is here on sound damn good
The LG drives....no comment....most dvd drive are the same

I am only giving these comments based on past experience. Now that I am "in the know", I won't be buying the best of the best.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005

a very **** thing to say, this rig is obviously for gaming, if he picked GeForce 8800GTS than he can afford one and it would be **** of him not to get it.

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006

The e6700....mucho overkill....i found the e6300 to be sufficient, even for transcoding
The Corsair memory....i have learn from experience memory doesn't have to be brand name to work....cheap memory works just as fine
The Seasonic PSU....600Watts?....even with your current configuration you only need 400Watts
The Creative sound card....not needed....onboard mobo hd audio is here on sound damn good

I am only giving these comments based on past experience. Now that I am "in the know", I won't be buying the best of the best.

Again though, it all depends what you plan to do with it. Spending a lot does not always mean that you're getting the best system for you.

For example if you plan to do a lot of media work, you may want to consider getting two or three hard drives. If not then one 250gb should be fine.

6700 cpu is nice but you may get just as much out of the 6600 or even the 6300...

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
6700 cpu is nice but you may get just as much out of the 6600 or even the 6300...

maybe so, but not entirely true, with 6700 you get more headroom for ocing since you got more mult. 'freedom' :lol:

Though it depends what he/she wants to do with this PC... If we had more information we could be of more help...

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

Dude why dont you tell him to buy a cyrix and a voodoo 1?

pert_of_jb

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
thanks for all the replies.

Yes I will be using this for gaming. My current PC is almost 4 years old and was top of the range then - so i was following the same principles.

In regards to the graphics i think it would be stupid not to get the Geforce 8800 now - GTS so less expensive than the GTX

700 cpu is nice but you may get just as much out of the 6600 or even the 6300...

Yeah read this somewhere else as well, save £140 ...

I have a sony monitor 19" which i bought earlier in the year, and altec lansing 5.1 speakers from last PC which are working well