8 hot hard drives

mikekosk

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
yesterday, the plastics factory my dad works works at had upgraded their server. with no use for their 8 12.5k 16gb hard drives, they gave em to me for 40 dollars. After hooking them up in raid 0, and playing BF2 for ten minutes the hard drives overheated and shut down. their temps reached 53 celcius, outside their operating range of 50 C. how could i cool them down without the use of expensive coolers?

I was thinking about using an enclosure outside my case with a cold plate of some sort.

they'll be running in RAID 10.

G

what is the interface of the HDs?

Some computer case like the TJ-07 could accomodate 6 Hds with a really good airflow that could probably take care of the heat, only 6 hds and 300$ enclosure though.

If you tell me the interface I might be able to dig a product...

Also some compagny such as antec offer HD cooler but they go in 5.25 bay, so unless you got 8 5.25 spare bay, might not be that usefull!
this look pretty cool to

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
2x120mm fans should be enough, only problem is having a case that can hold those drives, then a case that has 2 120 mm intakes on the front, there are plenty though i'm sure.

Ara

*same exact time^^^^^

Mondoman

Splendid
The two main things are to (a) leave air space between the drives (roughly 1 inch) and (b) have airflow through those spaces. Even if you are just mounting four of the drives, you will likely need a full tower case to fit them all properly. A good case will have lots of ventilation perfs on the front for air to flow through and over the drives, and/or place to mount one or two 120mm fans to blow over the drives. Don't mess with "hard drive coolers" that attach to the top or bottom of the drive.

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
sounds like a good application for some old Pentium Pro heat sinks, the kind that has a heat sink with fins or pins, and a fan, and a standard power connection.

just RTV them on top of the drives, and make sure they're in a part of the case where the air is moving.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
It doesnt matter where you put your HDD's. So long as they wont get knocked around and have some sort of airflow, youll be ok.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/addonics/3sa/

Or something along the lines... but I don't think it supports Raid... shrug

I just have 6 external enclosures to house all my HDD's, and they work fine with a desk fan blowing over them, but if you want Raid, then I would suggest getting a large case, or even something like the Antec Nine-Hundred... that case has 2 front intakes over each HDD cage and can house 6 HDD's no problem...