Adding a second Hard Drive

Hello,I have a Dell,1,9 GHZ,40 GB,WindowsXP,and have added a second Hard
Drive,Maxtor,120 GB.
I have formatted and assigned the letter F to this disk,and it shows as an
empty disk,no folders of any kind.
I tried to install a program in this new hard drive and it installs,but it
makes a fine mess,as there are no folders (Program Files ,etc.)

Question: Do I have to install WindowsXP (as in my first Hard Drive C) on
this disk,so that I have the WindowsXP folders in this new hard disk?
Thanks for any suggestions

Al
4 answers Last reply
More about adding hard drive

    > Question: Do I have to install WindowsXP (as in my first Hard Drive C) on
    > this disk,so that I have the WindowsXP folders in this new hard disk?
    > Thanks for any suggestions

    No.

    > I tried to install a program in this new hard drive and it installs,but it
    > makes a fine mess,as there are no folders (Program Files ,etc.)

    If by this statement you mean there is no "program files" folder to install
    your programs in, create a program files folder on the drive and install
    your software there.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:13:26 GMT, Alberto wrote:

    > Hello,I have a Dell,1,9 GHZ,40 GB,WindowsXP,and have added a second Hard
    > Drive,Maxtor,120 GB.
    > I have formatted and assigned the letter F to this disk,and it shows as an
    > empty disk,no folders of any kind.
    > I tried to install a program in this new hard drive and it installs,but it
    > makes a fine mess,as there are no folders (Program Files ,etc.)
    >
    > Question: Do I have to install WindowsXP (as in my first Hard Drive C) on
    > this disk,so that I have the WindowsXP folders in this new hard disk?
    > Thanks for any suggestions
    >
    > Al

    You can create a Program Files folder on the drive. When installing, most
    setup screens propose the path C:\Program Files\a folder name\ as the
    target for the installation. Click the Browse button here and change C: to
    the other drive letter and continue the install. NOTE: Sometimes you have
    to select Custom Install to get a screen where you can change the proposed
    location for the program.

    You may want to redo that one program install that you mentioned. It
    installed to the root folder (F:). The program will work fine there but it
    is a mess as you note and it makes future management a bit of a headache.
    Uninstall the program and then reinstall it to its own folder.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    No you don't have to have XP on both drives. If you want to use the second
    drive to house the program's files you can always create a folder and called
    it Programs Files. When you run an applications installer it will ask you
    for the install location. Most installers will default to C:\Program
    Files\program name so when that screen pops up just change the drive letter
    to F and the installer should take it from there.

    If you do create a Program Files directory don't just move your existing
    apps into it. You will need to uninstall those apps first and then reinstall
    them again this time installing to F:\Program Files\. You must do that to
    ensure that your registry entries are correct. Remember that even though you
    install an application to your second drive the registry entries will still
    be stored on your C drive.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Alberto" <graber65@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    | Hello,I have a Dell,1,9 GHZ,40 GB,WindowsXP,and have added a second Hard
    | Drive,Maxtor,120 GB.
    | I have formatted and assigned the letter F to this disk,and it shows as an
    | empty disk,no folders of any kind.
    | I tried to install a program in this new hard drive and it installs,but it
    | makes a fine mess,as there are no folders (Program Files ,etc.)
    |
    | Question: Do I have to install WindowsXP (as in my first Hard Drive C) on
    | this disk,so that I have the WindowsXP folders in this new hard disk?
    | Thanks for any suggestions
    |
    | Al

    Danny,Harry and Sharon,thanks very much,I am well on my way doing
    this,following your suggestions,great!
    Regards

    Alberto

    "Alberto" <graber65@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hello,I have a Dell,1,9 GHZ,40 GB,WindowsXP,and have added a second Hard
    > Drive,Maxtor,120 GB.
    > I have formatted and assigned the letter F to this disk,and it shows as an
    > empty disk,no folders of any kind.
    > I tried to install a program in this new hard drive and it installs,but it
    > makes a fine mess,as there are no folders (Program Files ,etc.)
    >
    > Question: Do I have to install WindowsXP (as in my first Hard Drive C) on
    > this disk,so that I have the WindowsXP folders in this new hard disk?
    > Thanks for any suggestions
    >
    > Al

Microsoft Dell Hard Drives Windows XP