Quick Memory Question

mystikmedia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Please take a minute to help me understand something... I'll admit that I have never really set out to understand the "timing" issues and benefits for memory. I suspect that is involved in my below question, but if you can explain it, that would be great.

http://www.atacom.com/program/atacom.cgi?USER_ID=www&cart_id=499877_71_87_151_27&SEARCH=SEARCH_ALL&KEYWORDS=MED2_CORS&PAGE_NUM=2

I am confused by this. The CORSAIR PC2-9136 seems to be the latest and greatest offering from Corsair (faster speed). However, the PC2-8888 is priced considerably more, which leads one to believe (in most cases since from the same manufacturer) that it is the better of the two, top-of-the-line, etc.

Can you break down the differences and benefits between these and which offers better performance? I am having a new system built that will be overclocked, and just wanted to be sure I am going the best way possible. Thanks.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
The question is quick, but the answer is not.

Stop being lazy - and start digging. Google is your friend and there are many many places you can learn about memory on the 'net. Don't make us paraphrase what's already out there just because you can't be bothered looking for yourself.

mystikmedia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
The question is quick, but the answer is not.

Stop being lazy - and start digging. Google is your friend and there are many many places you can learn about memory on the 'net. Don't make us paraphrase what's already out there just because you can't be bothered looking for yourself.

If you don't want to help, that's fine, but seems your reply was quite senseless. I did do searching before posting, but the information provided did not make a lot of sense being that I do not have knowledge on the timings and such. I see a lot of information on different memory using various timing and speed, but I don't understand the timings, which is why I posted here.

This will be my first overclocked system that I having built, and I'm trying to ensure I make the best choices.

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
They 9139 has a higher latency timing which means that it is slower when it comes to sending the data from within the ram (basically because i dont know more than that). THe 8888 has lower timings which means that it operates quicker. I must say however that this is only a small diffence in performance and the key is to simply get as much ram as possible! 4gigs of slower ram is better than 2gigs of faster ram.

mystikmedia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
They 9139 has a higher latency timing which means that it is slower when it comes to sending the data from within the ram (basically because i dont know more than that). THe 8888 has lower timings which means that it operates quicker. I must say however that this is only a small diffence in performance and the key is to simply get as much ram as possible! 4gigs of slower ram is better than 2gigs of faster ram.

Now the second part of your comment there is interesting. I specifically asked the opinion of several people when I was configuring the system. It is currently configured with 4 GB RAM. I could have gotten 8 GB with the larger modules, but I was advised to get 4 instead at the faster speed. From your reply, it seems that you do not agree with this position. (I run Windows XP x64...so, I can take advantage of 8 GB).

BTW, thanks much for your reply and information.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hi,
Nobody really needs more than 2GB of RAM, not even for Vista...
Well, maybe 4GB will become popular - but not at today's prices, LoL.
But I don't know what you're into with your x64 there, maybe scientific stuff...?
Anyway, memory latency timings and speed rating in MHz are inversely proportional, ie. as the speed is reduced the timings can be set more tighter.
Or, if the speed is increased then the timings must be set to be looser.
Some memory that can do the fastest timings with the lowest voltage at a given speed, is the best.
But it might not necessarily be rated for the absolute top speed (although it can probably still achieve it). It's simply the decision what to market it as, and what to put into the memory's SPD.
Now, that Corsair PC2-8888 is rated for an amazing 4-4-4-12 at 555MHz (1111DDR), very good timings for that speed! Very good timings for any speed, heheh...
The other memory has lesser timings in its SPD and will clock a bit faster because of it.
It is important to look at the voltage requirement of each chip when comparing them. The expensive PC2-8888 works best with a generous 2.2V (which some mobos can't even deliver).
The other less expensive memory probably runs okay at a lower voltage... so it's a more 'mainstream' part, priced a little lower. Overclocking on a budget, if you will...
Anyway that's very pricey memory, beyond my reach LoL.
PC2-6400 is all you really need for Core2 anyway - even if you push the FSB from 266MHz to 400MHz you're still good, y'know?
But that Corsair would have very aggressive, tight timings in its SPD for 400MHz (800DDR) I bet,
Regards

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
That's a good post Mondoman.
There you go, mystikmedia - it has all been discussed at length already, and those nice specific links are like gold, LoL
L8R