HELP - Epson 2400 wont thumbnail scanned negatives

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

I'm suddenly having trouble scanning negatives with the Epson 2400.

It provides thumbnail previews, as it is supposed to, but the thumbnail
is much too large. As a result, I'm getting a preview of one picture,
maybe 2, and then the rest of the strip (the other two or three) are
inside of one thumbnail and can't be chosen individually.

I don't know how this happened and have fiddled with all the preview
choices with no success.

It's as if the software has to make a large thumbnail and then, having
no way to fit 4 or 5 shots on the page, puts all the rest into one
thumbnail.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the scanning software....

Louise

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm suddenly having trouble scanning negatives with the Epson 2400.
>
> It provides thumbnail previews, as it is supposed to, but the thumbnail
> is much too large. As a result, I'm getting a preview of one picture,
> maybe 2, and then the rest of the strip (the other two or three) are
> inside of one thumbnail and can't be chosen individually.
>
> I don't know how this happened and have fiddled with all the preview
> choices with no success.
>
> It's as if the software has to make a large thumbnail and then, having
> no way to fit 4 or 5 shots on the page, puts all the rest into one
> thumbnail.
>
> I've uninstalled and reinstalled the scanning software....
>
> Louise

http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/howto_3.htm
Professional Mode. Do No 3. Check No. 4 and the normal mode (see the Note).
What do you get?

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <FewCe.71$IG2.39@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
nomoremail@nomail.com says...
> "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I'm suddenly having trouble scanning negatives with the Epson 2400.
> >
> > It provides thumbnail previews, as it is supposed to, but the thumbnail
> > is much too large. As a result, I'm getting a preview of one picture,
> > maybe 2, and then the rest of the strip (the other two or three) are
> > inside of one thumbnail and can't be chosen individually.
> >
> > I don't know how this happened and have fiddled with all the preview
> > choices with no success.
> >
> > It's as if the software has to make a large thumbnail and then, having
> > no way to fit 4 or 5 shots on the page, puts all the rest into one
> > thumbnail.
> >
> > I've uninstalled and reinstalled the scanning software....
> >
> > Louise
>
> http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/howto_3.htm
> Professional Mode. Do No 3. Check No. 4 and the normal mode (see the Note).
> What do you get?
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Thanks so much for the link.

But - my Epson software doesn't look like their examples. I am going
into what, in my software calls "manual" mode - I don't have
professional mode. And I don't have the option to make tables although
I can choose a preview mode of thumbnails.

Do you know how/where I could get this Epson software?

Thanks

Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <FewCe.71$IG2.39@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
nomoremail@nomail.com says...
> "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I'm suddenly having trouble scanning negatives with the Epson 2400.
> >
> > It provides thumbnail previews, as it is supposed to, but the thumbnail
> > is much too large. As a result, I'm getting a preview of one picture,
> > maybe 2, and then the rest of the strip (the other two or three) are
> > inside of one thumbnail and can't be chosen individually.
> >
> > I don't know how this happened and have fiddled with all the preview
> > choices with no success.
> >
> > It's as if the software has to make a large thumbnail and then, having
> > no way to fit 4 or 5 shots on the page, puts all the rest into one
> > thumbnail.
> >
> > I've uninstalled and reinstalled the scanning software....
> >
> > Louise
>
> http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/howto_3.htm
> Professional Mode. Do No 3. Check No. 4 and the normal mode (see the Note).
> What do you get?
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Clarification: I have Epson Twain 5.60A and the only way I know to go
into it is via Smart Panel. From smart panel I use "scan to file" and
that opens up the Twain/scanning window.

I cannot find software that looks like what is shown in the link, nor
can I find a professional mode.

I have the 2400 that comes with a plastic negative holder, not the one
that comes with a separate top cover to hold the negatives. Could it be
they come with different software?

TIA again.

> In article <FewCe.71$IG2.39@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> nomoremail@nomail.com says...
> > "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm suddenly having trouble scanning negatives with the Epson 2400.
> > >
> > > It provides thumbnail previews, as it is supposed to, but the
thumbnail
> > > is much too large. As a result, I'm getting a preview of one picture,
> > > maybe 2, and then the rest of the strip (the other two or three) are
> > > inside of one thumbnail and can't be chosen individually.
> > >
> > > I don't know how this happened and have fiddled with all the preview
> > > choices with no success.
> > >
> > > It's as if the software has to make a large thumbnail and then, having
> > > no way to fit 4 or 5 shots on the page, puts all the rest into one
> > > thumbnail.
> > >
> > > I've uninstalled and reinstalled the scanning software....
> > >
> > > Louise
> >
> > http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/howto_3.htm
> > Professional Mode. Do No 3. Check No. 4 and the normal mode (see the
Note).
> > What do you get?
> >
> > --
> > CSM1
> > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> >
> Clarification: I have Epson Twain 5.60A and the only way I know to go
> into it is via Smart Panel. From smart panel I use "scan to file" and
> that opens up the Twain/scanning window.

Epson Scan:
http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/know_1.htm
Epson Smart Panel is listed here.

There is a TWAIN Driver v5.71A (Rev.F) Available. You current version should
be fine. Twain-compliant Applications.
http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/know_2.htm
(don't fix what ain't broke!)

You can get the latest from Epson for the 2400 Photo.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14587&infoType=Overview

> I cannot find software that looks like what is shown in the link, nor
> can I find a professional mode.

Choosing the Appropriate Scanning Mode
http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/howto_1.htm

Changing the Scanning Mode:
http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/comon_5.htm#changing%20the%20scanning%20mode%20a

> I have the 2400 that comes with a plastic negative holder, not the one
> that comes with a separate top cover to hold the negatives. Could it be
> they come with different software?

Yes.

> TIA again.
>
> Louise
I believe the examples are of the Epson TWAIN interface. Different modes
show different windows.

You get the TWAIN interface when you scan using the TWAIN interface in any
Photo Editor.
Twain-compliant Applications. (repeated link)
http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/know_2.htm
More info on the Next button at the bottom of page.

The product brochure says that PhotoShop Elements is included in the
software bundled with this scanner.

If You do not have a Photo Editor such as Photoshop Elements 2 or 3 you can
download and install the free Irfanview and Plug-ins. You must get the
plug-ins also. They are necessary for Irfanview to do all of its great work.
http://www.irfanview.com

In Irfanview the Scanner interface is found by File>Select Source. Select
the Epson scanner.You only have to do this step once.

Then to scan, File>Acquire/Batch Scanning. The Batch mode can autoname files
for you.

That will open the Epson Scan TWAIN interface in Irfanview.

In Photoshop Elements 2 to open the TWAIN, File>Import then on the fly-out
menu, select the Epson Scanner (do not select WIA).

If you have Photoshop Elements 1 (about 2003) the Menu is a little
different. It is still on the File Menu, You may have a Select TWAIN item,
if so select the Epson scanner. Then File>Import.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <pMCCe.230$IG2.66@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
nomoremail@nomail.com says...
> "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > In article <FewCe.71$IG2.39@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> > nomoremail@nomail.com says...
> > > "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message

> thumbnail

> > > http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/howto_3.htm
> > > Professional Mode. Do No 3. Check No. 4 and the normal mode (see the
> Note).
> > > What do you get?
> > >
> > > --
> > > CSM1
> > > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> > >
> > Clarification: I have Epson Twain 5.60A and the only way I know to go
> > into it is via Smart Panel. From smart panel I use "scan to file" and
> > that opens up the Twain/scanning window.
>
> Epson Scan:
> http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/know_1.htm
> Epson Smart Panel is listed here.
>
> There is a TWAIN Driver v5.71A (Rev.F) Available. You current version should
> be fine. Twain-compliant Applications.
> http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr24p_/pr24p_rf/know_2.htm
> (don't fix what ain't broke!)
>
> You can get the latest from Epson for the 2400 Photo.
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14587&infoType=Overview

Thanks so very much for all the wonderful links and helpful information.
I really appreciate it.

I uninstalled the software again, this time cleaning the registry and
every loose file I could find. I reinstalled the same Twain driver I
have on the disk and it seems to be working ok with the negatives.

However, the problems arose when I went back and forth between negatives
and scanning/copying/faxing - and then back to negatives.

If this happens again, I'll update the twain drivers.

I do have Photoshop Elements that came with the scanner and I see how
one can scan directly into that. I didn't realize that and it looks
like it could make things a lot easier for lots of different tasks.

Thanks again.

Louise