Closed

OCR software that will scan 1000 docs automatically?

I have around 1000 PDFs in a series of subfolders. The PDFs are a mix
of text and image-only PDFs.

I would like an OCR program that
a) can be set to automatically look at each and all PDFs in a folder,
including subfolders, to determine if the PDF is image-only text;

b) does OCR on image-only PDFs only; and

c) overwrites the image-only PDF with an image-on-text PDF

Can anyone recommend an OCR program that can do this?

I am running Win XP on a medium-spec machine.

Thanks in advance
Matt
4 answers Last reply
More about software scan 1000 docs automatically

    <mattb02@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have around 1000 PDFs in a series of subfolders. The PDFs are a mix
    > of text and image-only PDFs.
    >
    > I would like an OCR program that
    > a) can be set to automatically look at each and all PDFs in a folder,
    > including subfolders, to determine if the PDF is image-only text;
    >
    > b) does OCR on image-only PDFs only; and
    >
    > c) overwrites the image-only PDF with an image-on-text PDF
    >
    > Can anyone recommend an OCR program that can do this?
    >
    > I am running Win XP on a medium-spec machine.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Matt

    There seem to be 5 types of PDF files.
    PDF (Normal):
    The PDF file can be viewed and searched in a PDF viewer and edited in a PDF
    editor.

    PDF Edited:
    The PDF file can be viewed, searched and edited.

    PDF with image on text:
    The PDF file is viewable only and cannot be modified in a PDF editor. The
    original images are exported, but there is a linked text file behind each
    image, so the text can be searched.

    PDF with image substitutes:
    As for PDF (Normal), but word containing reject and suspect characters have
    image overlays, so these uncertain words display as they were in the
    original document. The PDF file can be viewed, searched and edited.

    PDF, image only:
    The original images are exported. The PDF file is viewable only and cannot
    be modified in a PDF editor and text cannot be searched.

    Since you already have PDFs, you may be only able to change the current
    configuration with the only software the can edit PDFs, Adobe Acrobat family
    of products. Acrobat Professional is the top of the line, Acrobat Standard
    has fewer features.

    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/main.html

    There are several other software that can create PDFs, but not many that can
    edit a PDF after it is created.

    I do not think that there is a low cost solution to editing PDF.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    www.bookscanning.com does conversion services like pdf to word - word
    to pdf. Check it out at
    www.bookscanning.com

    Thomas
  3. I have tried a bunch of different programs and I actually found CVISION Technologies to have one of the best OCR programs. They have both an online conversion tool and a free 30 day trial you can download for their full product.

    http://www.cvisiontech.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=45&&Itemid=206&lang=eng

    You should definitely try it out.

    -Kelvin
  4. This topic has been closed by Buwish