flatbed vs dedicated film scanner

I've been happily using a Polaroid 45 Ultra (2570 dpi) to scan my 4X5
negs but recently purchased an Epson 4990 to allow a computer upgrade
(G4 to G5, SCSI to firewire). However, the scans on the 4990 at 3200
dpi are showing histogram spikes, at least with the Epson scanning
software.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if it's a software
issue or maybe a humbug piece of harware.

Jan B.

I'm scanning in 16-bit grayscale. Silverfast SE allows HDR in
grayscale but that's hard to comapre with what I have been getting
using the Epson software. Your're probably right that it's a software
issue. I might check out Vuescan before springing for an upgrade to SF
Ai.

-JB