Monitor's speakers not working

Lucifuge

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I plugged my headphones into my HP vs17e monitor to listen to music and play games with the volume turned up. Now when I remove them (headphones), no sound comes out of the speakers. I think my monitor thinks their still plugged in. Restarting my pc doesn't work. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Are the monitor speakers plugged into the correct port of the sound card?

Sounds like you need to try a different pair of speakers with the sound card and possibly change to better speakers. Speakers on the monitors are not that good anyway.

mais

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
Check cable connections between the monitor and the sound card/motherboard output, you could unadventedly dislodged it, check the monitor speaker volume control on the monitor menu. If all else fails connect the headphone input directly to the PC case front or back sound output - much better than via the monitor anyway - shorter pathway makes better sound, last but not least: use a better set of speakers - monitor speakers suck

Cheers

Lucifuge

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Verify the volume isn't set low or mute in Windows sound properties. Verify your soundcard isn't set to "headphone mode."

I'm using an integrated sound card (Realtek AC97), how would go about verifying that?