Looking for some video card advice

smg1023

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
As the title says, I'm looking for some feedback regarding a new video card. Unfortunately, my computer knowledge is virtually non-existant, so I have no idea how to compare all the different cards out there. Currently, my PC has a Radeon Xpress 200 embedded video setup (if that's even the right term?), which is fine for WoW but won't cut it for some other games that have come out recently that I'm interested in.

So, I'm looking for a PCI express card in the $150 to $200 (possibly up to $250) price range that will work well with such games as Elder Scrolls IV, Company of Heroes, and NWN2, and Vanguard when it comes out. Besides the lousy video setup, my PC has an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor and 1 gig of DDR400 RAM (128 MB of which is currently being used for video). I should state that I'm perfectly content to play games at mid-range settings so long as they run well, so if the 150-250 price range won't buy a card capable of running these games at their max, that's fine. I should also mention that my PC's case is fairly small (shuttle ST20G5), so I don't know if that brings up cooling issues or anything of that sort.

I am also planning to upgrade from 1 to 2 GB of RAM, although whether I can do that in the immediate future may depend on the price of the video card.

Anyway, thanks very much for any advice you guys can offer me. I don't know if I provided all the necessary information, or if some of that stuff is irrelevant to the topic at hand. Most of that stuff has little to no meaning to me :(