patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

Ever since the SP2 update, I can't send email in Outlook Express. I can
receive just fine. Can someone point me to a troubleshooting site?

"Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ever since the SP2 update, I can't send email in Outlook Express. I
> can receive just fine. Can someone point me to a troubleshooting site?

What happens when you try?
Any error messages?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

I get the message "Your SMTP server has not responded is 60 seconds, would
you like to wait another 60 seconds?

Then that message goes away and a new one pops up. "Your server has
unexpectedly terminated the connection protocol: SMTP, port 25, secure
(SSL): No, socket error: 10053, error number: OX800CCCOF".
I have a dual-boot, Win98\XP Pro system. Win98 email is perfect. I've been
through all the settings and have found no problems with the XP settings.

Do you have any ideas I might try?

> I get the message "Your SMTP server has not responded is 60 seconds,
> would you like to wait another 60 seconds?
>
> Then that message goes away and a new one pops up. "Your server has
> unexpectedly terminated the connection protocol: SMTP, port 25, secure
> (SSL): No, socket error: 10053, error number: OX800CCCOF".
> I have a dual-boot, Win98\XP Pro system. Win98 email is perfect. I've
> been through all the settings and have found no problems with the XP
> settings.
>
> Do you have any ideas I might try?
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Ever since the SP2 update, I can't send email in Outlook Express. I
>>> can receive just fine. Can someone point me to a troubleshooting
>>> site?
>>
>> What happens when you try?
>> Any error messages?
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. It provides no added
protection.

The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
Published: November 18, 2004
By Tom Koch
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Error 0x800ccc0d or 0x800ccc0f When Receiving and Sending E-Mail
(talks about Norton AntiVirus but applies to McAfee and others, too)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514
Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE
times out. Since some of the received messages have large (often virus)
attachments, which exasperates the problem.
Some Comcast users have found it necessary to totally uninstall Norton and
switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off. Norton invented email
scanning and here's what they say:
From
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/df0a595864594c86852567ac0063608c/65434372961d321d8825687f000003f8?OpenDocument&src=tr&Highlight=0,email,protection
(but the link doesn't work anymore)

"Disabling email protection does not leave you vulnerable to viruses and
malicious software in email. It is a separate layer of protection in
addition to Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect scans any incoming files, including
email, as they are saved to your hard drive. As long as you keep your virus
definitions up to date with LiveUpdate, and keep Auto-Protect enabled and
set to scan files as they are created or downloaded, your system is fully
protected."

See also
http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/norton_antivirus.shtml

So Symantec used to say this often and clearly. The newer stuff doesn't
have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment. If you
know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com