yay, my one and only build >.<

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004
building my very first system. i've been using this dell 8200 for about 5 years or so and i'm just realizing now that i have an outdated system. i spend a good amount of time on the computer, so why not go out and splurge a lil. i'm pretty much new to all of this and have been trolling the forums for a while now, which might i add is full of useful info as well as great members! plan is to make a pretty good gaming rig. i play mmorpg and fps games. also, going to overclock a bit. don't really have a budget, just don't wanna spent a crazy amount. let's keep it under 2k. listed the parts below along with some colorful commentary. all tips, advice, and comments welcome. thanks!

* case: antec nine hundred
looks are subjective, but this case grew on me the more i saw it. cooling on it seems great and i got it for a steal at $100.

* mobo:
eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
i'm not sure which motherboard to go with. i know tons of people have gone with the p5w and have been successful with it, but i've read a few great reviews of the evga nforce 680i and it's great ability to overclock. the price different isn't much so i'm confused on this one. also wanting to go evga 8800gtx graphics card later, so i'd be nice to match mobo with gpu. i like to coordinate. which mobo should i go with? :O k ended up buying the evga nforce 680i.

* cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M sharing L2 Cache LGA 775

* cooling: ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light CPU Cooler
i know everyone rates the scythe brands better, but this thing is soooo sexy. can't resist it! not sure if it'll fit the evga n680i board though. :'(

* gpu: PNY VCG7900SXPB GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
got this card for $150. i was originally going to go for the x1950 pro, but it's going for $180+, so this was a much better deal. i am planning to upgrade to the 8800gtx later on anyways.

* psu: OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt Power Supply
i think 700w is overkill, but got some rebates with this at tigerdirect and it was cheaper than the 600w at newegg, so i thought what the hell.

* ram: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
this looks to be the ram to get with oc'ing. read lots of members getting good results with this one.

* hdd: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
may add another driver later, not sure what the fuss about raid setup is all about. isn't that for servers? me thinks i don't need it.

* dvd/cd writer: NEC Black 18X DVD Burner

* speakers: Logitech X-530 70 watts RMS 5.1 Black Speaker System

* mouse: RAZER Copperhead Blue 7 USB Laser Tempest Gaming Mouse
this mouse looks great, the equivalent logitech mouse doesn't look as nice. it has that weird burnt orange look that's just fugly.

* keyboard: Logitech G15 2-Tone 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Keyboard
toss up between this and the saitek's eclipse 2. i think this one just looks better with a bit more function.

* monitor:
Acer® 22" Flat Panel Display Monitor (AL2216WBD)
wanted the dell 24' lcd monitor, but price is way too high at the moment. got this for about $300+. may return it if i find a better deal on black friday.

:lol:

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Okay I would go for the 680i motherboard for it has more overclocking capabilities.

You should go for the E6400 and with that Corsair it can overclock really well.

Don't go for the fancy Zalman 9700, get a Thermalright Ultra-120 and an FM121 for it. It has a lot more cooling than that 9700, as it's been proven with several reviews. Check it out at Frosytech.com.

Good choice for the graphics card since, 8800 are still expensive and no game that currently taking it's full capability but just the performance. It should be cheaper next year and with the coming of the ATI R600 DX10 card.

Good choice for the power supply, not really an overkill. It's good for your future upgrades and maybe SLI and overclocking.

Acer is not really that good with monitors. Better off with the VeiwSonic VX22 gaming monitor, still one of the fastest monitor.

Nice keyboard I got one myself for gaming. And as for the mouse get the G5 instead, for I got one also and I could tell you it's a very good mouse for gaming.

It's should be a nice rig, good luck.