bache_au

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
There are numerous test reports done by eg, Anandtech and others that recommend ASRock MB's due to there quality, options and cheaper price.

A example is the ASRock ConRoe 945G-DVI.

ASRock are a part of ASUS are'nt they?

Are the parts of lesser quality than the ASUS brand MB's? They don't seem to be as they are recommended everywhere for reliability and features.

How come they are relativally cheap? :?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Less feature and less or no overclocking support. Budget motherboard for those who are pinching a dime.

I must disagree. Just look at any of their Dual or Upgrade series boards. I have the one in my sig and I got my 3200+ all the way to 2.46 ghz on the stock cooler. Albeit, not very long (it was the cooler), but its doable.

But about the overclocking support, I must concede that the voltages are a bit limited, but nothing a simple volt-mod can't resolve :wink: .

I do agree that these boards are generally aimed at the person on a budget. For someone who really can't spend a whole lot, one gets a lot of board for the price. Granted, you are getting a "lesser" name and some odd feature sets, but still good bang for your buck.

@OP:
Yes, ASRock is a subsidiary of ASUS. Kinda like Chevy/GMC. One is for the "normal" person, and the other is for the higher end "professional" type person.

DTM13

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
I have a socket A K7S41Gx and 939Dual-Sata2. I used the socket A to learn the basics of overclocking.So far i have had no problems with either mobo.I would highly recommend!!

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
i used asrock for almost 2 years with one of my cybercafe i work at. it's asrock p4i65gv. runs so far so good.

i also used asrock 775dual-vsta for almost 3 months now with core 2 duo processor and it runs so far so good.

just make you sure you have adequate power supply unit. unstable electric may easily damage asrock motherboard in my experience.. :)

As a tech for the last 12 years.... there are a few brand names that make me shake my head every time one comes into the shop.

One of those on my list is ASRock. I see those boards fail in more unusual ways then any other board. The very name makes me technicaly sick. I wouldnt touch one with a 10ft pole.

If your pinching penies, maybe you should save up 10$ more and get a respectable brand at the very least. The parent company is ok (asus).... Asus owns ASRock, but to my knowledge, they do not make them.

DrakeofGolkar

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
At the OP, I have built multiple PCs with ASRock MB's without any problems and am currently running a 939Dual-Sata2 with a Venice 3200+ at 2.45 Ghz on stock cooling with no problems for 12 months or so..
It could probably go higher but havent pushed it any further. Stock cooling, voltage etc, generic ram.
Quality seems very good in my experience

0p3n

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I have been using a Asrock 939 dual SATAII motherboard for a year now and have had no problems with it what so ever, I have also reccomended them to my friends and they have never had problems with their motherboard.

hammerhead2

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
have used an Asrock 939 dual-sata 2 for about 9 months or
so. I have had no issues with it at all,, not oc'ing at this time
though might do mild oc at some time. It has been a great
board. the Price was right and had the ports,etc I wanted
don't know about other asrock boards